The Student Room Group

Can you apply to a masters with a Top up Degree?

Hi, I am doing a 2-year foundation degree and will be starting my top-up degree end of this year at the same university. Am I right in thinking my grade and qualification will be separate for both?

My foundation degree i don't think i will get the best grade due to submitting 2 coursework late. So I wanted to know if I get a 1st or 2.1 in the BSc Top up , will just the BSc Top-up be looked at when applying for a Masters or will they want to look at my foundation degree as well.
Original post by toi
Hi, I am doing a 2-year foundation degree and will be starting my top-up degree end of this year at the same university. Am I right in thinking my grade and qualification will be separate for both?

My foundation degree i don't think i will get the best grade due to submitting 2 coursework late. So I wanted to know if I get a 1st or 2.1 in the BSc Top up , will just the BSc Top-up be looked at when applying for a Masters or will they want to look at my foundation degree as well.

It's great that you will be going on to top up your degree. Your final grade on the degree will be the most important factor but you may need to wait a year. By this I mean to complete your degree and attain a 1st or 2.1 and then apply for a Masters in the following year. If you apply during your top-up year then universities will look at your grades for the foundation degree as a pointer to how well you may do in your final year and if your top-up degree grades are not strong, its unlikely you will get offered a place on a masters programme.

Students are told what degree classification they have received in June and July so you could wait to get your degree classification next year and then in July apply for a Masters knowing you have a 2.1 or 1st. Universities may have officially stopped recruiting by July but a few may still be open to accepting late applications.
Dear i have to complete b.com 2 year .can i apply top up and wife dependent visa
Reply 3
You will have 2 separate qualitifcations. L6 Top-up years are 100% based on the work done in that academic year. The foundation degree covers the equivalent of Levels 4 & 5 but, unlike typical undergraduate degrees, do not carry any marks into the final degree classification. So, to answer your question, the top-up year is what matters for your final degree classification and therefore any applications to do a Masters. Having said all that, that doesn't mean that admissions tutors won't look at your FD profile.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending