The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
I didnt think the boards actually endorsed these books... oh well, seems I was wrong
Reply 3

If anyone is after the first (2007 edition - doubt it has changed much except the blurb at the front) or the last book I have these (perfect condition).PM me if interested
Reply 4
I read those two books up there ^^^

They seemed really helpful especially the first one since it has loads of stuff about admissions and personal statements etc...

But I haven't done the test yet so I can't really say how helpful hey were lmao
Reply 5
I'd vouch for the first book (Passing the UKCAT and BMAT) but I've not read the other two yet.

I'd also suggest the following book for giving you an insight into medical ethics; which will presumably help you in your interview to formulate your own, educated answers to ethics questions:

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=4696344

It's only £7 and it's pretty darn useful, in my opinion.
Reply 6
martin101
I didnt think the boards actually endorsed these books... oh well, seems I was wrong

The BMAT book is certainly the official book, written by Cambridge Assessment. I believe the first UKCAT book is not official. As for the second UKCAT book, I don't know, but I was under the impression that there was no 'endorsed' UKCAT book. (Seems likely they would advertise it on their website, if it was official).
Reply 7
isi333
The BMAT book is certainly the official book, written by Cambridge Assessment. I believe the first UKCAT book is not official. As for the second UKCAT book, I don't know, but I was under the impression that there was no 'endorsed' UKCAT book.

I don't think there's an endorsed UKCAT book since they recommend that a quick look over the questions on their website is all you need. The first book I linked is pretty much the diamond standard in UKCAT preparation books though.
Reply 8
Beska
I don't think there's an endorsed UKCAT book since they recommend that a quick look over the questions on their website is all you need. The first book I linked is pretty much the diamond standard in UKCAT preparation books though.

Agreed.
Although I remember finding the questions in that book slightly harder than the actual test. (But you linked the new edition, so things might have changed).
Reply 9
I went into waterstones today to have a look at the books they had instock.

I felt that "Passing the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) and BMAT - Student Guides to University Entrance
Passing the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) and BMAT - Student Guides to University Entrance - 2008 edition" was a bit too short on helping with the UKCAT and BMAT, especially the BMAT. Although it was very useful for personal statement and interview preparations.

However I found an amazing BMAT book called "Kaplan BMAT: Biomedical Admissions Test - Kaplan Bmat: Biomedical Admissions Test" which I felt had everything needed to know about the BMAT

So is that book better than the official BMAT book?

what do you guys think?

I really want to know from the people that already have done it. What did they find useful? what wasn't worth the time and money for?

Thanks
Reply 10
i got the UKCAT book from above, and the kaplan book mentioned in the post above mine. it's good.
Reply 11
asgsoft
I went into waterstones today to have a look at the books they had instock.

I felt that "Passing the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) and BMAT - Student Guides to University Entrance
Passing the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) and BMAT - Student Guides to University Entrance - 2008 edition" was a bit too short on helping with the UKCAT and BMAT, especially the BMAT. Although it was very useful for personal statement and interview preparations.

However I found an amazing BMAT book called "Kaplan BMAT: Biomedical Admissions Test - Kaplan Bmat: Biomedical Admissions Test" which I felt had everything needed to know about the BMAT

So is that book better than the official BMAT book?

what do you guys think?

I really want to know from the people that already have done it. What did they find useful? what wasn't worth the time and money for?

Thanks

No! That Kaplan book is terrible. The questions are far, far too easy and not at all similar. You absolutely need the official book where the BMAT is concerned. (Even in the official book, the questions are misleadingly easy)
Reply 12
OK

so what would the best combination for the UKCAT and BMAT be?

Buy the Succeed UKCAT & BMAT book and also the official BMAT book?
Reply 13
asgsoft
OK

so what would the best combination for the UKCAT and BMAT be?

Buy the Succeed UKCAT & BMAT book and also the official BMAT book?

No.

These two:

Reply 14
^Yeah, I think so to. (Although I did this last year so am 1 year out of date with the available books)
Reply 15
Don't spend too much on them - you can't learn to beat the questions; ots designed to be a battle of wits between you and the paper. Not another bookworms' orgasm.
I have done most of the practise questions in that UKCAT 2008 book but I got confused with some of the answers.

In the questions where the options are "true", "false" or "can't tell", some explanations say you can't assume anything so have to go for the "can't tell" option but some said choose "false" because of an assumption.

If there is a need to make an assumption, shouldn't the answer always be "can't tell" even if it seems obvious?
Reply 17
callum9999
If there is a need to make an assumption, shouldn't the answer always be "can't tell" even if it seems obvious?

Yeh. Weird if that's not so.
Reply 18
callum9999
I have done most of the practise questions in that UKCAT 2008 book but I got confused with some of the answers.

In the questions where the options are "true", "false" or "can't tell", some explanations say you can't assume anything so have to go for the "can't tell" option but some said choose "false" because of an assumption.

Yep, the book is a bit imperfect, as I remember.
heyyy i just wanted someone to confirm which books should i buy for the UKCAT and is there any additional practice and reading i should be doing?..

also kaplan courses ? should i bothered with them! they are so expensive its unbelievable! will i be better off using these recommended books? xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending