The Student Room Group

Superhuman98 - Getting Big and Strong

Scroll to see replies

GZCL W4D2:

Squats went well. Deadlifts after felt pretty brutal :biggrin:. Good to know that I am finally out of the hole that is 90kg-100. I have broken through an embarrassingly long plateau which was caused by making every mistake in the book. Now time to reach new heights in the 100s

Squats
1x3 90kg
1x2 95kg
1x1 100kg
1x1 100kg
1x4 100kg

Conv deficit deadlifts
100kg 3x5,1x6

5kg dumbbells Bulgarian splitsquats 4x12 both legs

Single leg deadlifts

DB Rows 18kg 4x8

Hanging knee raises 3x8,1x5
Good job on the squats. That's 2 plates done! Every milestone counts.

Onwards and upwards
Original post by silent ninja
Good job on the squats. That's 2 plates done! Every milestone counts.

Onwards and upwards

Yeah aha not sure what the next milestone is. Got a big juicy Christmas break from uni coming up. So I reckon I can reach 110kg squat, 95kg bench and 150kg deadlift by the time 2nd semester classes start in Feb

Nice got targets I can stick to now
With only 3 reps on the AMRAP on bench I'd probably only increase by 2.5kg. Unless you're confident you can double the new training max on any day, it's too high.
Original post by illusionz
With only 3 reps on the AMRAP on bench I'd probably only increase by 2.5kg. Unless you're confident you can double the new training max on any day, it's too high.

So 4 weeks ago I set my 2RM as 82.5kg on benchpress.

Guy who is kinda coaching me says I should increase by 5kg because going from 2RM to being able to do 2 singles and then 3 is a huge improvement in 4 weeks.

If it was just 3 on an AMRAP then I would increase it by 2.5kg.

But since I got 5 in total with what’s supposed to be 100% of my TM with the singles it should be an increase of 5kg. (2-3) would be 2.5.

I’ll see how it goes
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by SuperHuman98
So 4 weeks ago I set my 2RM as 82.5kg on benchpress.

Guy who is kinda coaching me says I should increase by 5kg because going from 2RM to being able to do 2 singles and then 3 is a huge improvement in 4 weeks.

If it was just 3 on an AMRAP then I would increase it by 2.5kg.

But since I got 5 in total with what’s supposed to be 100% of my TM with the singles it should be an increase of 5kg. (2-3) would be 2.5.

I’ll see how it goes

Up to you, I don't feel two singles induces significant fatigue so won't increase my TM by 5kg unless I'm on 4 or 5 reps. But if you feel singles tire you out a bit then your plan seems sensible!

I also look at the increased weight and think to myself whether I'd back myself to double it. If the answer is no then it's too high.
W4D3: feeling shattered right now and still got dinner to cook.

OHP:
1x3 35kg
1x2 37.5kg
1x1,1x1,1x 3 or might have been 4 40kg

Pause Bench:
10x1 70kg

Machine chest flys
50kg 2x10,1x7

Tricep extensions
16.25kg

Lateral raises
Technique stuff I’m going to focus on when it comes to my sumo deadlift tomorrow..

1.) Get my lats and upper back and hips really really tight before I lift

2.) Focus on pushing glutes forward when the bar passes knees

3.)Don’t worry about bar taking time to go up at the start
Up to you, I don't feel two singles induces significant fatigue so won't increase my TM by 5kg unless I'm on 4 or 5 reps. But if you feel singles tire you out a bit then your plan seems sensible!

I also look at the increased weight and think to myself whether I'd back myself to double it. If the answer is no then it's too high.

Chiming in on this, 5kg is a pretty massive jump at your stage of lifting (ie you're not a newb). If you're feeling confident go for it, but erring on the side of caution and staving off a stall as long as possible are usually good principles in my opinion and pay off in the long term.

Either way keen to see your progress on this. I'm still doing linear progression and completed 80kg bench today, but I feel like I'm getting close to maxing out gains by adding weight every session- maybe a month away? Also conscious it induces too much fatigue eventually.
10/12/19

Not a bad workout but just feeling a bit gutted because looking back I may have had more left in the tank on the AMRAP for deadlifts and so just underestimated myself as it goes up at a good speed on my vids. Anyways probably just down to a lack of practice with sumo.

Sumo Deadlifts:
1x3 120kg
1x2 127.5kg
1x1,1x1,1x3 135kg with more left in the tank.

Front squats:
3x5,1x6 60kg

Machine Rows:
67kg 3x10

Hamstring Curls 45kg
Ab Wheel Rolls
So done with my first cycle of GZCL. Pretty good progress. Coach is adding more upper body volume and core work. T2s seem to be working in assisting my strength so they are staying the same. Eating well also, and with the christmas break I will experiment and see how I do increasing sleep/sleep quality.

I estimate that my squats gonna skyrocket, pretty impressed with how easy front squats were today
(edited 4 years ago)
So done with my first cycle of GZCL. Pretty good progress. Coach is adding more upper body volume and core work. T2s seem to be working in assisting my strength so they are staying the same. Eating well also, and with the christmas break I will experiment and see how I do increasing sleep/sleep quality.

I estimate that my squats gonna skyrocket, pretty impressed with how easy front squats were today

T2 is where much of the progress is really made.

I need to add more squat and deadlift focused T2 to mine in the new year - my current cycle ends next week.
T2 is where much of the progress is really made.

I need to add more squat and deadlift focused T2 to mine in the new year - my current cycle ends next week.

Do you agree that 13MM belts are worth the extra cost?

I’m thinking of buying this
https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/strengthshop-13mm-lever-belt-embossed-logo-black.html
Do you agree that 13MM belts are worth the extra cost?

I’m thinking of buying this
https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/strengthshop-13mm-lever-belt-embossed-logo-black.html

I bought that exact belt in 2015. Hated it and haven't used since. Personally don't recommend it but I know people have used it and like it.

I'm loving my Pioneer 10mm (buy from A7 if in UK as they are IPF approved). The leather is way nicer than strength shop one.

Having not tried Pioneer 13mm I can't comment.
I bought that exact belt in 2015. Hated it and haven't used since. Personally don't recommend it but I know people have used it and like it.

I'm loving my Pioneer 10mm (buy from A7 if in UK as they are IPF approved). The leather is way nicer than strength shop one.

Having not tried Pioneer 13mm I can't comment.

Might be a case of I should save up more so I can get the A7 Pioneer one or SBD belt. Probably worth it to invest as much as I can
Might be a case of I should save up more so I can get the A7 Pioneer one or SBD belt. Probably worth it to invest as much as I can

My gut feeling is buy cheap, buy twice applies here. But obviously you're a student so money is less freely available.

What belt do you have at the moment? The difference a 13mm one will make is probably minimal compared to the difference you'll get from diet and training.
My gut feeling is buy cheap, buy twice applies here. But obviously you're a student so money is less freely available.

What belt do you have at the moment? The difference a 13mm one will make is probably minimal compared to the difference you'll get from diet and training.

I don’t have any belt at the moment never trained with one before.

I’m confident that I am bracing right and have a good brace when it comes to squatting. Still new to sumodeadlift so haven’t found what works for me quiet yet.

I want to compete in 2020 there is word of a meet in Feb
My thought process was:

I got a cheap 13mm. Hated it, it bruised the **** out of me and I couldn't get comfortable in it.

Figured I'd get a good one but only 10mm so it's less painful while I get used to properly using a belt. Bought the Pioneer and think it's great. The half spacing holes are really useful.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Pioneer 10mm as a first belt, based on my limited experience.

Youre not sufficiently big and strong that you will find a 10mm doesn't give enough support.

Interested to see what others think.
GZCL W5D1:

MADE A LOT OF MISTAKES today which I’ll go into later...

Bench Press 72.5kg 2x4,1x6

Same reps as last cycle but heavier weight This is really good considering the bench I used is different really messed up my form. I’m pretty sure I had no arch, in addition to no leg drive. The bench I used is difficult to unrack but you can push the rack forward and get some momentum and unrack easily. But I lose tightness.

Incline Bench Press 47.5kg. I likely did 5x8 instead of the 4x8 that I was meant to. But didn’t struggle so it’s good lol.

T3 is where I really made mistakes. Lifted with my ego and was impatient with my rest times.

Lat Pull Downs 59kg (I’m stupid for this). 1x10,1x7,1x6

Tricep Push downs 17kg 1x8,1x6,1x6

Tricep Extensions 14kg still struggled maybe should go lighter and rest closer to 60secs rather than 30

Facepulls (put my ego to the side here) 14kg 2x13,2x12

Bicep curls 8kg
4x12

I will learn from my mistakes and my PYRAMID WILL HAVE THE STRONGEST BASE EVER.
(edited 4 years ago)
Going heavier on T3 with short rests is fine, it's just like max rep sets from JnT 2.0. It's a perfectly valid approach.

Quick Reply

Latest