The Student Room Group

Superhuman98 - Getting Big and Strong

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuperHuman98
Lifting/fitness lessons learned 2019:

1.) I should have cut my calories slowly when cutting, and not have such a bad relationship with diet in first year of uni.

2.) I reached a certain point in my cuts where i hit road blocks due to a lack of muscle. Didn’t realise how light 70kg is my height. Should have listened to those who said I should just increase muscle mass and bf % would go down/ not matter. Goal now is get strong first cut later. Or might not even need to cut who knows.

3.) I now know what good programming is, and i am staying away from peaking programmes unless it’s close to competition.

Goals for 2020:

60kg OHP, 140kg Squat, 180kg Deadlift and 100kg bench. By June.

Slow cut over summer. Hopefully get stronger during the cut but maintaining strength would still be a win.

Add lots of muscle mass to my frame

Get out of bed first thing instead of snoozing

I'm with you on that last one!!

Good luck with all your goals. Put you're mind to it and I'm sure you'll smash them.
Weight 73kg.

I dunno what happend. I gain too easily and let my tracking slip some days and when I am home from uni I am essentially sitting down all day. I'll learn from this mistake by keeping diet the same but being more active through daily walks in the park, and some light cardio to burn calories and active recovery.
Lifting/fitness lessons learned 2019:

1.) I should have cut my calories slowly when cutting, and not have such a bad relationship with diet in first year of uni.

2.) I reached a certain point in my cuts where i hit road blocks due to a lack of muscle. Didn’t realise how light 70kg is my height. Should have listened to those who said I should just increase muscle mass and bf % would go down/ not matter. Goal now is get strong first cut later. Or might not even need to cut who knows.

3.) I now know what good programming is, and i am staying away from peaking programmes unless it’s close to competition.

Goals for 2020:

60kg OHP, 140kg Squat, 180kg Deadlift and 100kg bench. By June.

Slow cut over summer. Hopefully get stronger during the cut but maintaining strength would still be a win.

Add lots of muscle mass to my frame

Get out of bed first thing instead of snoozing

For 70kg bodyweight, your lifts are really good. Your weight is probably holding you back through. I wouldn't go through a dirty bulk, just eat a bit more consistently and everything else will follow.

Re the last one, my biggest challenge is getting to bed on time. Probably killing my health slowly. I go to sleep around 12-1am weekdays with an early 6.45am start. Never good but get busy with kids, gym, work prep, and then trying to relax with wife and watch TV for a bit. Before you know it it's midnight!
Original post by silent ninja
For 70kg bodyweight, your lifts are really good. Your weight is probably holding you back through. I wouldn't go through a dirty bulk, just eat a bit more consistently and everything else will follow.

Re the last one, my biggest challenge is getting to bed on time. Probably killing my health slowly. I go to sleep around 12-1am weekdays with an early 6.45am start. Never good but get busy with kids, gym, work prep, and then trying to relax with wife and watch TV for a bit. Before you know it it's midnight!

If you like reading and want motivation to somehow sleep earlier (must be difficult with children and work that early) I recommend reading Matthew Walkers book on Sleep
(edited 4 years ago)
03/01/2020:

Great start to 2020 with some bench progress. Pretty confident in this style of training now even OHP is going to go up in a few days.

Bench Press
1x3 77.5kg
1x2 82.5kg
2x1 87.5kg, 1x3 87.5kg

Overall really good. Technique needs work but I blame the gym's bench I have for this week. Also I accidentally paused 1sec one of my singles for 87.5kg so pause bench aint far behind.

Incline Bench Press
3x5,1x7 60kg

Lat Pull down 52kg 3x8
Tricep Extensions 14.7kg 3x8
Tricep Push downs 12.5kg 3x8
Face Pulls
Bicep Curls 10kg 3x8
(edited 4 years ago)
Today was a win but the whole session just felt really crappy. The reps I got today means I only add 2.5kg to my squat. Looking forward to deload week next week really need it. Technique everything just felt bad especially during warm up. Less so on 105 although I did have a grinder.

GZCL W8D2:

Squats
1x3 92.5kg
1x2 97.5kg
2x1 105kg
1x2 105kg

Deficit Deadlifts
4x5 105kg

Bulgarian Split Squats 12kg dumbbells
4x8

Single leg deadlifts bodyweight 4x6

DB Row 20kg (found out the way I am doing em is called Kroc rows)

Ab roller 4x6
OHP is going great :smile:

GZCL W8D3

Overhead Press
1x3 40kg
1x2 42.5kg
2x1,1x3 45kg

Pause bench 70kg 10x1
Close grip bench 62.5kg 2x5
Dumbbell Bench 26kg 2x8
Cable flies 14kg 3x7
Facepulls 17kg 4x12
Lateral raises 4kg 4x8
07/01/2020:

GZCL W8D4.

So today I tried out my friends SBD belt. M seems to be the right size for me and the belt feels great. Ill probs get it when student loan drops. Although, I suspect that I found the deadlifts today to be harder because I tried a belt only with 140kg which is a weight I have never done before and I have never used a belt before. I looked pretty strong at lockout its just the start, my starting position seemed to be not as good today.

Sumo Deadlifts
1x3 127.5kg
1x2 125kg
2x1,1x2 140kg

Front Squats
3x5,1x7

Leg Curls 35kg
Leg Press 83kg 3x10
Leg extensions 42kg 3x10
Planks 15kg 3x30secs
8 week progress and future plans:

So my upper body has been reacting really well, my lower body has been slower.

Bench Press 82.5kg 2RM -------------------> 87.5kg 3RM
Overhead Press 40kg 2RM -----------------> 45kg 3RM
Squats 100kg 2RM ---------------> 105kg 2RM
Sumo Deadlifts 135kg 2RM -------> 140kg 2RM

I suspect I could have actually gotten more out of the sumo deadlift but I will just put my ego to the side, and go with the required progression which is 2.5kg due to the amount of reps I got. BP and OHP +5kg due to the reps I got on those.

Future plans:

Same programme. There might be a local meet I can enter but its not confirmed yet. If it gets confirmed then I won't neccessarily be peaking but my friend online whos been coaching me will be replacing OHP with more Comp Bench volume + some other changes. If it isn't on then I will be continuing off season training and main change will be adding deficit sumo as T2.

I have got a deload week next week, which I definitely need. I also have a 3 day holiday so I need to figure out how to best deal with that in terms of scheduling my training (I am thinking cut down the deload week so my cycle starts a different day idk, or I might just have to workout 3 days a row on that holiday week).
Great 8 week progress.

Have you never deadlifted with a belt before?

I feel much stronger but cannot breathe with my hands on the bar as the belt compresses my torso too much. So I breathe at the top, then go down and lift. Maybe try that and you might find it better at the bottom.
Also a gzcl cycle is probably good enough for peaking at the moment. Just time it so the testing week ends with the meet and take it easy that week.
Original post by illusionz
Great 8 week progress.

Have you never deadlifted with a belt before?

I feel much stronger but cannot breathe with my hands on the bar as the belt compresses my torso too much. So I breathe at the top, then go down and lift. Maybe try that and you might find it better at the bottom.

First time using a belt ever. I'll think about trying that. Just when I breathe at the top I end up rushing the lift for fear of losing tightness/breath. It's probs all just a matter of more practice both sumo deadlift and belts.
It's good progress. Are you tracking body weight also.

A deload/rest week plus lots of good food and sleep can make a world of difference.

A deload/rest week plus lots of good food and sleep can make a world of difference.

I know from experience, I thought that not going to the gym for a few days because I was ill would mean I would have to work harder but no! I saw huge improvements and today I’m back rowing and at the gym now

Yep so my bodyweight in Dec unexpectedly had some jumps resulting in average of 0.8 gain per week. So now I’m 73kg. For the past week I’ve been eating maintenance high protein to slow it down now it’s back to 0.5g per week. So plan is to gain at 0.5

The 0.8 probs wasn’t that bad as trainings going well hopefully 0.3-0.4 was muscle.

Decided I’m going to not deload this coming week but instead I’ll do my deload the week after as I have a 3 day vacation.

Usually I’m good with sleep but I’m currently up trying to sort out some coursework :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
So comp likely won’t be on. I’ll do on season training anyway see how it goes. Basically it’s more powerlifting focused. Great session the close grip bench was tough.

GZCL W9D1:

Comp Bench 72.5kg
2x4,1x6

Close Grip Bench 67.5kg
4x6

Lat Pull down 45kg
3x10,1x8

Dumbbell Bench 24kg
1x10,1x8,1x6

cable Chest Flies 9kg
2x13,2x12

Concentration Curls 8kg
4x8

Tricep extensions 14kg
2x10,1x8
GZCL W9D2:

Squats 90kg
2x4,1x6

2" Sumo Deficit Deadlifts 95kg
4x6

Leg Press 86kg
4x10

Single leg Deadlift 6kg kettlebell
5x5

Kroc Rows 14kg 5x15 (75 reps out of needed 100)

Ab Rolls 2x10,2x7
Solid work. Legs up bench is fun.

GZCL W9D3:

Bench Press 77.5kg 2x4,1x6

Legs up bench 62.5kg 4x6

Cable Chest Flies 14kg 3x10

Tempo DB Rows 16kg 3x10

Lateral raises 2kg 2x13,2x12
First time using a belt ever. I'll think about trying that. Just when I breathe at the top I end up rushing the lift for fear of losing tightness/breath. It's probs all just a matter of more practice both sumo deadlift and belts.

You should be trying to do as many reps as possible from your first breath on most compound lifts, as you'll always get a better brace when you're not supporting the weight.

Goes especially for bench, OHP and bent over row variants where you need to brace lower back. Deadlift depends on your style and whether you can brace properly while holding the bar - it's perfectly legitimate to come up after each rep to breathe better. Doesn't really apply to squats.
What a banging session. Really surprised at the deadlift AMRAP and could have gotten 10 if I let my ego take over :biggrin:, in fact I should have pushed it abit more.

Sumo Deadlift (beltless) 120kg
2x4,1x9 (PR)

Squats 80kg
4x6

Paused bench 2 count 62.5kg
3x4

Bent over rows 60kg
4x6 (24/40 reps)

Leg press 107kg (PR)
4x10

Leg Curls 36kg
2x10,2x6