The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The University of Southampton Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jhold001
Hey, was wondering how many people share the shower and bathroom facilities for a non en-suite room at both wessex lane and glen eyre. Also, how many are usually in an ensuite flat together.

hi, flats are usually around 6-12 on average
there are usually 3 showers per flat as well as around 2 toilets I think but am not 100% sure.

sharing facilities has never been an issue in my experience. they are cleaned for you and it anything is up with them you can report it online and it usually gets sorted within the day you reported it
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Hey,
i was wondering if these any information or advice surrounding private halls. i know there are pros and cons to each, I'm just worried about the quality of private halls in Southampton and wonder if anyone has any experience with them.
thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by HCDenton
Hey,
i was wondering if these any information or advice surrounding private halls. i know there are pros and cons to each, I'm just worried about the quality of private halls in Southampton and wonder if anyone has any experience with them.
thanks in advance :smile:

Hi there :smile:
You're best contacting the private hall on their website themselves as that's where you will get the best info.
All I would say is be prepared to have a slightly smaller room than you might have in a privately rented house or uni hall. This is because I think they're all ensuites and have everything in them so you have a little less space.
I have visited VITA and Hampton Square accommodation and have a friend who recently visited Liberty Quays as well.
Hope this helps + best wishes,
Cheese
Reply 23
Hi I was just wondering how part-catering actually works at Southampton - is it a case of you'll get a certain amount a day or week to spend or is it more like help yourself type thing where people who are part-catered have a card to swipe for their breakfast then second meal?
Original post by Vhewitt
Hi I was just wondering how part-catering actually works at Southampton - is it a case of you'll get a certain amount a day or week to spend or is it more like help yourself type thing where people who are part-catered have a card to swipe for their breakfast then second meal?

hi there,
excellent question!

part catered food I included in the fee you pay for halls. this works in that you go to the outlet and your ID card acts as proof of eating in your halls canteen.

if you decide to take lunch on campus, you can spend around £7.50 (changes a bit each year) in university catering outlets in the same way but with your ID card.

you always get breakfast Mon - Fri and the option of the above or the evening meal at your hall

I hope that is clear. if it's not feel free to ask another question!
cheese :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
hi there,
excellent question!

part catered food I included in the fee you pay for halls. this works in that you go to the outlet and your ID card acts as proof of eating in your halls canteen.

if you decide to take lunch on campus, you can spend around £7.50 (changes a bit each year) in university catering outlets in the same way but with your ID card.

you always get breakfast Mon - Fri and the option of the above or the evening meal at your hall

I hope that is clear. if it's not feel free to ask another question!

Thanks for such a quick reply, that’s really helped make things clear. When you say we can spend around £7.50 on either lunch or dinner would any remaining amount be rolled over to the next day say if you didn’t use it that day? Or is it a case of you get that amount just for that day?
Original post by Vhewitt
Thanks for such a quick reply, that’s really helped make things clear. When you say we can spend around £7.50 on either lunch or dinner would any remaining amount be rolled over to the next day say if you didn’t use it that day? Or is it a case of you get that amount just for that day?

no that's the daily amount. nothing rolls over but you can spend it in several uni catering places.
ie: lunch at piazza and then coffee at café :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 27
no that's the daily amount. nothing rolls over but you can spend it in several uni catering places.
ie: lunch at piazza and then coffee at café :smile:

Thought as much - thanks for all the help, time to sort out my accommodation me thinks :smile:
is it possible for 1st years to be in the same block with friends?
Original post by Ariana260693
is it possible for 1st years to be in the same block with friends?

Do you mean make an application so you are placed in a flat with a friend when you're both first year students?
if so
no you can't do this.
it's to benefit your student experience by getting to know your flatmates, making some friends. you get a bus pass with your accommodation which means you can go see your friend anytime for no extra cost so i promise it will be ok and no detriment to seeing them!
hope this helps,
(edited 4 years ago)
Do you mean make an application so you are placed in a flat with a friend when you're both first year students?
if so
no you can't do this.
it's to benefit your student experience by getting to know your flatmates, making some friends. you get a bus pass with your accommodation which means you can go see your friend anytime for no extra cost so i promise it will be ok and no detriment to seeing them!
hope this helps,

Not a flat but like share a kitchen in the same block with that friend and then a few others
Original post by Ariana260693
Not a flat but like share a kitchen in the same block with that friend and then a few others

right well it's unlikely as you can't make group applications if you're a first year student
don't worry though, you can go to their kitchen/flat at any time and cook together
I used to do this with my friends all the time :smile:))
right well it's unlikely as you can't make group applications if you're a first year student
don't worry though, you can go to their kitchen/flat at any time and cook together
I used to do this with my friends all the time :smile:))

Alright thank you!
I've heard for Glen Eyre, the cheapest rooms i.e Non Ensuite Category 1, there is a very big chance game involved whether you get a nice modern or an old shabby one? How true is this?
Original post by OOOllie
I've heard for Glen Eyre, the cheapest rooms i.e Non Ensuite Category 1, there is a very big chance game involved whether you get a nice modern or an old shabby one? How true is this?

I don't actually know. Usually these cheap rooms are of the older part of Glen Eyre.
However what I will say is that there are very few of these cheap rooms and so actually receiving one is not guaranteed.
Nice thread! I've applied for (All en-suite self catered)
1. Wessex Lane Category 1
2. WL Category 2
3. Glen Eyre Category 1

Really hoping I get in come September, it means so much to me at the moment.

Also: Don't suppose you know but are those halls good socially? Like pre's, clubbing etc
Original post by CameronWS
Nice thread! I've applied for (All en-suite self catered)
1. Wessex Lane Category 1
2. WL Category 2
3. Glen Eyre Category 1

Really hoping I get in come September, it means so much to me at the moment.

Also: Don't suppose you know but are those halls good socially? Like pre's, clubbing etc

You'll be just fine :hugs:
Wessex Lane is a super social hall, I was there in my first year of uni and there are plenty of pre's and events that the reps run for you where everyone goes to the club together, sometimes they hire out a bus as well.
Glen Eyre is very similar as well, lots of students close together so super easy to make friends and bump into people out and about :smile:
You get a bus pass so you can visit your friends' halls, the city centre, train station and other campuses as well (included in halls fees)!
I am a bit concerning now, as the virus issues.
Should we book the accommodation now or should we wait :frown:

Worry that if i booked and the course said we can distance study and i can get back the deposit.

Dose anyone here have the same concern ?
I am not sure is that a right place to ask.
I am new to the forum.
Original post by marycorn
I am a bit concerning now, as the virus issues.
Should we book the accommodation now or should we wait :frown:

Worry that if i booked and the course said we can distance study and i can get back the deposit.

Dose anyone here have the same concern ?
I am not sure is that a right place to ask.
I am new to the forum.

Welcome to :tsr2:

First question is, are you booking private accommodation or University accommodation (halls of residence)?
Are you a postgraduate or new undergraduate student?

It's a troubling time but the accommodation services at the University are currently planning to go ahead and receive applications as normal. I've even put my own one in!
You don't have to sign anything with them or ever pay a deposit unless you fit certain criteria.

Please don't worry :grouphugs:

Hope this helps,
Cheese
Welcome to :tsr2:

First question is, are you booking private accommodation or University accommodation (halls of residence)?
Are you a postgraduate or new undergraduate student?

It's a troubling time but the accommodation services at the University are currently planning to go ahead and receive applications as normal. I've even put my own one in!
You don't have to sign anything with them or ever pay a deposit unless you fit certain criteria.

Please don't worry :grouphugs:

Hope this helps,
Cheese

Wow amazing that you quick reply.

I am postgraduate student new to Southampton. Still picking the accommodation, not so sure which one is suit for me and have no idea about the surrounding location.

If you could provide some idea for living in Southampton for my Uni life that would be really nice.

One more concern, do you have any idea that if i would like to view the room before i book. Did the University accommodation allow for viewing ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending