On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The University of Southampton Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marycorn
Wow amazing that you quick reply.

I am postgraduate student new to Southampton. Still picking the accommodation, not so sure which one is suit for me and have no idea about the surrounding location.

If you could provide some idea for living in Southampton for my Uni life that would be really nice.

One more concern, do you have any idea that if i would like to view the room before i book. Did the University accommodation allow for viewing ?

No problem :smile:
I would say not to pick private accommodation because they are likely to ask you for a deposit and in these uncertain times, it might be best not to go for something like that? Up to you though!

If you want to go with the University of Southampton halls of residence, you can pick from places such as Glen Eyre, Highfield Hall, Mayflower, City Gateway, Archer's Road and Wessex Lane halls of residence.
Glen Eyre is really close to highfield campus if you're going to be there a lot. Highfield hall is very close to avenue campus as well. Mayflower hall and Archer's Road are closer to the city centre if you like lots of nightlife and things like that. It's also near to the train station if you're planning to commute a lot. Wessex Lane, Highfield and Glen Eyre are in really nice areas, low crime, residential and quiet. I should not that Archer's road is also very residential and is nearby the largest greenspace in southampton - the southampton common.

You're guaranteed University accommodation if you apply before the 1st August 2020 but only if you're a non-EU new postgraduate student.

You will not have to pay anything until you receive an offer of accommodation from the University of Southampton accommodation team. Because you are a postgraduate student, if you accept the offer, you secure your place by then paying £350. THIS IS NOT A DEPOSIT. This is just an amount taken from the total amount for your contract.

I hope this gives you some insight, if you have any further questions, quote me with them and I'll try my best to help!
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
No problem :smile:
I would say not to pick private accommodation because they are likely to ask you for a deposit and in these uncertain times, it might be best not to go for something like that? Up to you though!

If you want to go with the University of Southampton halls of residence, you can pick from places such as Glen Eyre, Highfield Hall, Mayflower, City Gateway, Archer's Road and Wessex Lane halls of residence.
Glen Eyre is really close to highfield campus if you're going to be there a lot. Highfield hall is very close to avenue campus as well. Mayflower hall and Archer's Road are closer to the city centre if you like lots of nightlife and things like that. It's also near to the train station if you're planning to commute a lot. Wessex Lane, Highfield and Glen Eyre are in really nice areas, low crime, residential and quiet. I should not that Archer's road is also very residential and is nearby the largest greenspace in southampton - the southampton common.

You're guaranteed University accommodation if you apply before the 1st August 2020 but only if you're a non-EU new postgraduate student.

You will not have to pay anything until you receive an offer of accommodation from the University of Southampton accommodation team. Because you are a postgraduate student, if you accept the offer, you secure your place by then paying £350. THIS IS NOT A DEPOSIT. This is just an amount taken from the total amount for your contract.

I hope this gives you some insight, if you have any further questions, quote me with them and I'll try my best to help!

Your information is amazing. I will do a bit research on it and found out more details.

But that's really nice that i have a hints to start the research. :beer:
Hi Mary, First of all, Vincent Place is located at the heart of the city center where West quay and all the shops are located. You can always join the nightlife without worrying about catching the last bus or waiting for taxis on the way home. There are a lot of bus stops from the city center to the Uni of Southampton. If you need a break from the busy city center you can take a walk through Southampton’s amazing parks that are right on our doorstep.

And great news!! We now offer virtual viewings where you can see the social species, gym, 2-bed flats, studios, and en-suites in cluster flats at great prices. I hope this helps 😊 😊
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Student Roost - Southampton
Hi Mary,First of all, Vincent Place is located at the heart of city center where West quay and all the shops are located. You can always join the night life without worrying about catching the last bus or waiting for taxis on the way to home. There are a lot of bus stops from city center to Uni of Southampton.If you need a break from the busy city center you can take a walk through Southampton’s amazing parks that are right on our doorstep.

And great news!! We now offer virtual viewings where you can see the social species, gym, 2 bed flats, studios and en-suites in cluster flats at great prices.I hope this helps 😊 😊

May i also know about the the transport between Southampton Uni and these accommodation ?
I am worry about the morning lesson .....
May i also know about the the transport between Southampton Uni and these accommodation ?
I am worry about the morning lesson ....

Hello Mary,

There are plenty of buses between Southampton City Center (where Vincent Place is) and Southampton Uni (i.e Bluestar 1, Unilink U1C, U2C, U1A, U6C to name a few). Usually, the traveling time is around 25-40 minutes depending on traffic, although if you prefer cycling, recently some very spacious bike lanes have been created by the city council.

I would really recommend you to check out all the facilities and perks accommodations offer to make sure they fit your personal need. Also, just keep in mind that some private accommodations now extended their tenancy agreement cancellation policies. For example, our booking promise at Vincent Place, Student Roost is extended to facilitate students in case their course start date is delayed; if they don’t get the required Visa in order to travel to the UK or if due to COVID 19 travel restrictions are in place that prevents them from traveling to the UK.

I hope this helps, let us know if there are any more details you are interested in. Kincso B
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi,
thank you for all of the information here!
I was wondering how many people share a flat/ kitchen in self-catered wessex lane accommodation?
Also, what are the social spaces like in Wessex lane?
Thank you!
Original post by areyouhuman
Hi,
thank you for all of the information here!
I was wondering how many people share a flat/ kitchen in self-catered wessex lane accommodation?
Also, what are the social spaces like in Wessex lane?
Thank you!

no problem!
on average it's about 6-8 :smile:
they're really nice. they were recently refurbished so nice and shiny. full images and details on the website! I know they've been doing more work so check there for images of it now :smile:
hope this helps,
cheese
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
no problem!
on average it's about 6-8 :smile:
they're really nice. they were recently refurbished so nice and shiny. full images and details on the website! I know they've been doing more work so check there for images of it now :smile:
hope this helps,
cheese

thank you! this helped a lot :smile:
Just a general post in this thread about current arrangements of the University for 2020-21
There has been an Official University of Southampton Update.
They state they will be open in September - read their statement from Professor Mark E. Smith, President and Vice-Chancellor linked above.

Covid-19 webpage - https://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/statements/coronavirus.page

Some postgraduate students may have to start later and if so they will be emailed.
Full info and provisions made to courses etc is to be available by the end of June :fyi:
(edited 3 years ago)
Does anyone have experience in "quieter lifestyle" halls?

I would prefer quieter halls but am worried the people there will be overly nerdy/unsociable/awkward. Is this the case?
Original post by Anonymous

I would prefer quieter halls but am worried the people there will be overly nerdy/unsociable/awkward. Is this the case?

I was told it's more for mature learners.
Reply 51
Hey, guys!I was wondering what kind of contract length should i choose- 36, 38 or 40 weeks? I will be an Engineering student!
Original post by AlexJ15
Hey, guys!I was wondering what kind of contract length should i choose- 36, 38 or 40 weeks? I will be an Engineering student!

hey :smile:
don't go for 36 week unless you want to move out at Easter and not stay for the Easter holidays
38 week contract means you move out almost straight after exams
40 week contacts usually end on the 1st July. gives you a bit more time to gradually move out but you will pay for those days up to 1st July
hope this helps!
cheese
Original post by Anonymous

hey there anon!
what this option means is anyone who picked it and have similar application criteria can be put near you
quiet halls is very much to what each person defines as quiet and can vary
from my experience, you'll get the more sensible people there and if you ever have any issues you can contact the on site student life team who operate 24/7
hope this reassures you,
cheese
Original post by charlocat

that's not the case. it's simply a lifestyle choice
mature learners and returning/postgraduate students tend not to be placed near undergraduate students and so this shouldn't be a problem
see the post above for info on quiet lifestyle accommodation choice

I believed that change every year ...
as they are students, they will move out once they graduate.

Random roommate, you never know who and how they are.
I believed that change every year ...
as they are students, they will move out once they graduate.

Random roommate, you never know who and how they are.

I just thought I would share what I was told!
I just thought I would share what I was told!

If you have a friend, you would like to bring with, why not looking for a private one?
You can request to stay together.

I have no options on it :frown:
But I am looking forward to meet a new friend...
If you have a friend, you would like to bring with, why not looking for a private one?
You can request to stay together.

I have no options on it :frown:
But I am looking forward to meet a new friend...

My accommodation is private halls & I'll be sharing a flat with a friend I've met through the WhatsApp group chat. :smile:
Sorry if I am being stupid, but I can't actually find a date on the university website for when to expect Uni of Southampton halls allocations to be made? I'm a UK student starting a PhD this year, so I am not guaranteed a university halls place. However due to the COVID I'd prefer to stay in halls, ideally Uni of Southampton halls, but presumably cannot wait until August before having to commit to private halls whilst places are still available.

On a second point, does anyone have any recommendations or warnings about particular private hall providers? A quick look online suggests some private hall companies have *very* bad reviews, particularly about their handling of COVID contract releases, which frightened me a little but I'm not sure how representative these reviews are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending