The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The University of Southampton Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 15Characters...
Sorry if I am being stupid, but I can't actually find a date on the university website for when to expect Uni of Southampton halls allocations to be made? I'm a UK student starting a PhD this year, so I am not guaranteed a university halls place. However due to the COVID I'd prefer to stay in halls, ideally Uni of Southampton halls, but presumably cannot wait until August before having to commit to private halls whilst places are still available.

On a second point, does anyone have any recommendations or warnings about particular private hall providers? A quick look online suggests some private hall companies have *very* bad reviews, particularly about their handling of COVID contract releases, which frightened me a little but I'm not sure how representative these reviews are.

Get the application in by 1st August ideally! Although, if you're not guaranteed, I'm not sure when the deadline is (email [email protected])

I am with Unite Students (although, I haven't actually moved in yet) I did get a warning but it was sadly too late. I am hoping because they used to be Liberty, they won't be as bad. I think people will only share reviews if it's been a negative experience (why bother if been a positive, yknow?) so take them with a grain of salt cos I'm sure it's not EVERY student who stayed with private hall companies!

I don't think I have been at all helpful, but just in case... I'll still reply haha :smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by charlocat
Get the application in by 1st August ideally! Although, if you're not guaranteed, I'm not sure when the deadline is (email [email protected])

I am with Unite Students (although, I haven't actually moved in yet) I did get a warning but it was sadly too late. I am hoping because they used to be Liberty, they won't be as bad. I think people will only share reviews if it's been a negative experience (why bother if been a positive, yknow?) so take them with a grain of salt cos I'm sure it's not EVERY student who stayed with private hall companies!

I don't think I have been at all helpful, but just in case... I'll still reply haha :smile:

Thanks for the advice. I applied back in March after I accepted my offer, I was just wondering if I could reasonably expect to hear back from the uni before I was forced to book a private hall. I'm still very unsure about timings.

Glad to hear you've got somewhere, I hope it turns out OK - I've been looking at Unite Students too. I agree, I'm not sure online reviews are representative or if there's a bias towards negative reviews from peope who had (unusual) bad experiences. Plus COVID's a tricky situation, it's basically inevitable that some people will be unhappy.
Thanks for the advice. I applied back in March after I accepted my offer, I was just wondering if I could reasonably expect to hear back from the uni before I was forced to book a private hall. I'm still very unsure about timings.

Glad to hear you've got somewhere, I hope it turns out OK - I've been looking at Unite Students too. I agree, I'm not sure online reviews are representative or if there's a bias towards negative reviews from peope who had (unusual) bad experiences. Plus COVID's a tricky situation, it's basically inevitable that some people will be unhappy.

You won't hear back until after A Levels results day, unfortunately. Then they will be given to unconditionals/guaranteed. I think you can still apply for private halls after this.

uS have some pretty solid guarantees regarding the virus. I'd check them out!
Original post by marycorn
I believed that change every year ...
as they are students, they will move out once they graduate.

Random roommate, you never know who and how they are.

Sorry for the late response, but I want to dispel a few myths you have here.
In university accommodation roomates ie: twin rooms are just not going to happen this year. In the past (~5-6 years ago) this occurred due to a large number of accommodation rooms being desired in that year. This time it'll be single occupancy rooms only unless you have asked for couples accommodation etc.

The allocation process is random but based on preferences you've made in your application. Ie: single gender, if you ticked the quiet lifestyle option, postgraduate or returning students are also usually allocated in flats away from new undergraduate students unless stated otherwise in their application.

Hope this helps :smile:

Sorry if I am being stupid, but I can't actually find a date on the university website for when to expect Uni of Southampton halls allocations to be made? I'm a UK student starting a PhD this year, so I am not guaranteed a university halls place. However due to the COVID I'd prefer to stay in halls, ideally Uni of Southampton halls, but presumably cannot wait until August before having to commit to private halls whilst places are still available.

On a second point, does anyone have any recommendations or warnings about particular private hall providers? A quick look online suggests some private hall companies have *very* bad reviews, particularly about their handling of COVID contract releases, which frightened me a little but I'm not sure how representative these reviews are.

Due to the covid-19 situation, they've not started allocations yet because they are still working out how to make it safe for everyone etc. As you can imagine info is changing constantly and I reckon we will all get an email with more info once they have further measures in place.

Normally (ie: in previous years), accommodation offers from the University are given out anytime between mid-August to early September.
I know this is not ideal for you but there is little that they can do in the current situation.

Private halls is not something I'm that familiar with. All I would advise is check crime/noise complaints as those are usually the big ones. Also be aware that most of them don't include a bus pass and are closer to the city centre. This means that you'll probably have to find a way to get to campus be it a bus, cycling or a long walk.

I mentioned it earlier and I will mention it again, don't pay or sign anything with private halls until you're sure you can 1 - be on campus for your PhD and 2 - are absolutely sure you want to go there. Yes Uni will take a while to get back to you but at least you can get your offer, decide if you like it for a few days before confirming your place there. You will have to secure your offer with a payment but it will come out of your total fees and isn't a deposit.
I also know you'll want to be sorted and signed with somewhere to be but if you don't have to be at Southampton until october etc. don't worry. Southampton has sooo much accommodation. Join the student Housing group if you like because often people will be subletting rooms and private accommodation so check that out if you've not done so already.

I hope this clarifies a few things wrt timings. Please be careful of what you hear etc. I know this information as I previously worked for the accommodation team at the Uni last year and the year before. If you do have any questions, feel free to ask me!

Best wishes,
Cheese :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by CheeseIsVeg

Due to the covid-19 situation, they've not started allocations yet because they are still working out how to make it safe for everyone etc. As you can imagine info is changing constantly and I reckon we will all get an email with more info once they have further measures in place.

Normally (ie: in previous years), accommodation offers from the University are given out anytime between mid-August to early September.
I know this is not ideal for you but there is little that they can do in the current situation.

Private halls is not something I'm that familiar with. All I would advise is check crime/noise complaints as those are usually the big ones. Also be aware that most of them don't include a bus pass and are closer to the city centre. This means that you'll probably have to find a way to get to campus be it a bus, cycling or a long walk.

I mentioned it earlier and I will mention it again, don't pay or sign anything with private halls until you're sure you can 1 - be on campus for your PhD and 2 - are absolutely sure you want to go there. Yes Uni will take a while to get back to you but at least you can get your offer, decide if you like it for a few days before confirming your place there. You will have to secure your offer with a payment but it will come out of your total fees and isn't a deposit.
I also know you'll want to be sorted and signed with somewhere to be but if you don't have to be at Southampton until october etc. don't worry. Southampton has sooo much accommodation. Join the student Housing group if you like because often people will be subletting rooms and private accommodation so check that out if you've not done so already.

I hope this clarifies a few things wrt timings. Please be careful of what you hear etc. I know this information as I previously worked for the accommodation team at the Uni last year and the year before. If you do have any questions, feel free to ask me!

Best wishes,
Cheese :smile:

Thank you for your help once more :smile:. I feel more confident about uni accommodation, but I'm very concerned about leaving it so late - especially since I'm not guaranteed a place and I don't imagine COVID will help my chances. Is finding accommodation in late august still fairly easy? That said, I can't sign anything for a while yet because of COVID-related issues with meeting my offer conditions.
Thank you for your help once more :smile:. I feel more confident about uni accommodation, but I'm very concerned about leaving it so late - especially since I'm not guaranteed a place and I don't imagine COVID will help my chances. Is finding accommodation in late august still fairly easy? That said, I can't sign anything for a while yet because of COVID-related issues with meeting my offer conditions.

That's ok :smile:
Yeah it's not a nice feeling. Don't worry too much about the guarantee, there are so many rooms in uni accommodation so I'm sure you will get a place. Whilst you may think that, the popularity of private accommodation has shot up in recent years.
Yep, you should not really have a problem. I'm seeing a lot of places come onto the marketplace at the moment on facebook and they'll only increase as people move out of student houses anytime from june up to september if they're on longer contracts. So definitely check it out!
Ah I see :redface: sorry to hear that, I hope you can sort that asap! It sounds like an absolute pain :hugs: you could also chat to SUSU lettings (student's union advice centre) check out their website susu.org and follow the lettings tab at the top!
Best wishes,
Cheese

Hello ,
We know that is not easy for all of us in COVID, we let our resident end their contract early that they can back home safe without worry any about their rent. I believed that is the best we can do under the pandemic.

And now we know the University of Southampton will delay some of their course, we also updated our booking promise for who would like to book with us and concerning their contract. (https://www.studentroost.co.uk/our-booking-promise). Is covered course delayed, travel Restrictions, no Visa and No English course.

I am not sure which accommodation you are interested, I wish the above details that can make you interest to have a look on our website, or even book a virtual viewing. Meet our team in person see will you enjoy to stay with us.
@CheeseIsVeg Hi, do you know if I can request an all-female alcohol-free flat as a first-year? I have personal issues with alcoholism in my family and I'd ideally want to avoid it. Also is Wessex ensuite 2 worth it, or should I do 1? Finally, do you know how many people share a kitchen in Wessex? Thank you
Can I request to be with flatmates doing the same course as me?
Original post by Anonymous
@CheeseIsVeg Hi, do you know if I can request an all-female alcohol-free flat as a first-year? I have personal issues with alcoholism in my family and I'd ideally want to avoid it. Also is Wessex ensuite 2 worth it, or should I do 1? Finally, do you know how many people share a kitchen in Wessex? Thank you

Hi there :smile:
I think you can put in your preferences that you want to be in a single gender flat (females only) and alcohol free.
Please note that it can sometimes be really difficult to make both of these happen and in the unlikely scenario that it is not available, you will be emailed about it.
I would say all female flat is very likely to happen but alcohol free as well can sometimes be a bit less-likely to get. The team will try their best though don't worry :jumphug:
P.S If you want to state any other info in your application - there is a "Notes" section where you can put these :hugs:

Unless you really want a super snazzy room for a not so snazzy price, there's not much difference imo from ensuite 2 and ensuite 1. 1 is cheaper so I go cheap :rofl: up to you though!

If you are going self-catered, it can be from 6-8 in Wessex I believe :yy:
Can I request to be with flatmates doing the same course as me?

no and dw you'll end up by chance, being near a few of them anyway - wessex lane is huge and you're never far away from someone you're probably in the same lecture with! Note: you also get a bus pass when you go into halls and all halls are connected by bus routes. This means you can easily go visit your pals in whichever hall they're at :yy: good fun :smile:

Hope this helped you Anon,
Cheese
Hi there :smile:
I think you can put in your preferences that you want to be in a single gender flat (females only) and alcohol free.
Please note that it can sometimes be really difficult to make both of these happen and in the unlikely scenario that it is not available, you will be emailed about it.
I would say all female flat is very likely to happen but alcohol free as well can sometimes be a bit less-likely to get. The team will try their best though don't worry :jumphug:
P.S If you want to state any other info in your application - there is a "Notes" section where you can put these :hugs:

Unless you really want a super snazzy room for a not so snazzy price, there's not much difference imo from ensuite 2 and ensuite 1. 1 is cheaper so I go cheap :rofl: up to you though!

If you are going self-catered, it can be from 6-8 in Wessex I believe :yy:

no and dw you'll end up by chance, being near a few of them anyway - wessex lane is huge and you're never far away from someone you're probably in the same lecture with! Note: you also get a bus pass when you go into halls and all halls are connected by bus routes. This means you can easily go visit your pals in whichever hall they're at :yy: good fun :smile:

Hope this helped you Anon,
Cheese

Hi thank you very much, this has been very helpful! I've seen that Wessex is having maintenance work done so I think I'm going to go with other buildings.

As long as it's all-female, I don't mind as much. Do you think this could be likely?

Is ensuite 2 just bigger? Are they much bigger do you know? I'm very excited about the free bus pass haha. Is there a particular hall that has a small number of people sharing one kitchen for self-catered accommodation?

Sorry for all of the questions!
Hi thank you very much, this has been very helpful! I've seen that Wessex is having maintenance work done so I think I'm going to go with other buildings.

As long as it's all-female, I don't mind as much. Do you think this could be likely?

Is ensuite 2 just bigger? Are they much bigger do you know? I'm very excited about the free bus pass haha. Is there a particular hall that has a small number of people sharing one kitchen for self-catered accommodation?

Sorry for all of the questions!

Don't worry too much about the work. I think it's only for one block of Wessex and due to covid-19 I reckon it'll be done fairly soon (obviously you're best checking with the website for up to date info on this).

Yeah don't worry that preference will very likely be met :yy:

"These en suite rooms, which include a small private bathroom and shared kitchen facilities, are either newer or larger in comparison with en suite category 1 rooms, which is reflected in the price. " from the website it basically means that ensuite cat2 may be a bit bigger, newer and that makes them more pricey :yy:

All the halls 6-8 is pretty standard for them. I would honestly not worry about it. Most students don't cook at the same time anyway and in your first year you'll be eating out and be moving about a lot, going to all the fun and exciting events :fyi:
The free pass is soo good, promise me you will use it!!! My big regret in 1st year was not using it enough :tongue:

that's ok - I can tell you're excited! haha
Don't worry too much about the work. I think it's only for one block of Wessex and due to covid-19 I reckon it'll be done fairly soon (obviously you're best checking with the website for up to date info on this).

Yeah don't worry that preference will very likely be met :yy:

"These en suite rooms, which include a small private bathroom and shared kitchen facilities, are either newer or larger in comparison with en suite category 1 rooms, which is reflected in the price. " from the website it basically means that ensuite cat2 may be a bit bigger, newer and that makes them more pricey :yy:

All the halls 6-8 is pretty standard for them. I would honestly not worry about it. Most students don't cook at the same time anyway and in your first year you'll be eating out and be moving about a lot, going to all the fun and exciting events :fyi:
The free pass is soo good, promise me you will use it!!! My big regret in 1st year was not using it enough :tongue:

that's ok - I can tell you're excited! haha

Really? It says 'Major refurbishment works are due to take place in some Montefiore flats during 2020. During this time there will be an increased level of building noise on the site. None of the buildings recieving this upgrade will be occupied during these works and all work is likely to take place during daytime hours.' on the site which worried me.

I will check out some other flats in case though.

I may just stick with ensuite 1 then unless 2 isn't much more expensive, thank you!

I promise:biggrin: It seems amazing, I don't have to spend much on travel unless I need an urgent uber or something!

I am excited haha, thank you again very much!x
Attachment not found
Hi what are the laundry arrangements in the halls of archers road because there is no icon. Does this mean laundry will have to be done elsewhere?
Really? It says 'Major refurbishment works are due to take place in some Montefiore flats during 2020. During this time there will be an increased level of building noise on the site. None of the buildings receiving this upgrade will be occupied during these works and all work is likely to take place during daytime hours.' on the site which worried me.

I will check out some other flats in case though.

I may just stick with ensuite 1 then unless 2 isn't much more expensive, thank you!

I promise:biggrin: It seems amazing, I don't have to spend much on travel unless I need an urgent uber or something!

I am excited haha, thank you again very much!x

Note it says 2020. The majority of 2020 has passed and due to lockdown etc. there are very few people around halls at the moment which will mean completion will be easier right now. I suspect if the works are going according to initial schedule they will be done fairly soon.
Take that with a pinch of salt but you're not going to be that affected by it since your tenancy will start in september - mid december so that's less than 3 months you will actually be there for whilst they are doing work. Wessex is a large hall as well so there's all the chance you could be placed in a part of it really far away from the works anyway.

Also note: Wessex Lane has recently refurbished common rooms located across the road on the part-catered Connaught site. You can always go there to study if the works at Montefiore are particularly loud one day.

I would just remember to check the social media pages for the halls sites as these usually get more up-to-date information on things as it gets closer to the move-in date :yy:

All the best,
Cheese

Attachment not found
Hi what are the laundry arrangements in the halls of archers road because there is no icon. Does this mean laundry will have to be done elsewhere?

I honestly am not that familiar with Archer's road so you are best checking the website.
If you want a quick answer, get in contact with accommodation --> [email protected]
Sorry I can't be of more help :redface:
Archer's Road is in a really great location though. Equidistant from city centre and highfield campus. It's right next to the common (largest green space in southampton) which is beautiful :yep:
Note it says 2020. The majority of 2020 has passed and due to lockdown etc. there are very few people around halls at the moment which will mean completion will be easier right now. I suspect if the works are going according to initial schedule they will be done fairly soon.
Take that with a pinch of salt but you're not going to be that affected by it since your tenancy will start in september - mid december so that's less than 3 months you will actually be there for whilst they are doing work. Wessex is a large hall as well so there's all the chance you could be placed in a part of it really far away from the works anyway.

Also note: Wessex Lane has recently refurbished common rooms located across the road on the part-catered Connaught site. You can always go there to study if the works at Montefiore are particularly loud one day.

I would just remember to check the social media pages for the halls sites as these usually get more up-to-date information on things as it gets closer to the move-in date :yy:

All the best,
Cheese

I honestly am not that familiar with Archer's road so you are best checking the website.
If you want a quick answer, get in contact with accommodation --> [email protected]
Sorry I can't be of more help :redface:
Archer's Road is in a really great location though. Equidistant from city centre and highfield campus. It's right next to the common (largest green space in southampton) which is beautiful :yep:

I'm sorry for the late response, thank you so much for everything. In my mind it's still 2019 so it makes sense that the refurbishment probably will be over soon!
Hello me again, sorry I have some more questions. Would you recommend Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane (I'll be getting ensuite)? Also, I've noticed that they all have single beds, but they look oddly small in the pictures. Are they normal single bed sizes if that makes sense?
Also can I apply directly to Glen Eyre's Chamberlain Halls or do I just apply to Glen Eyre Ensuite 1/2?
Hello me again, sorry I have some more questions. Would you recommend Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane (I'll be getting ensuite)? Also, I've noticed that they all have single beds, but they look oddly small in the pictures. Are they normal single bed sizes if that makes sense?

:hi: It's really up to you !
I would definitely recommend Wessex Lane for the student feel. I was there in my 1st year and it's laid out in a way that makes it so easy for you to meet other people and get to know them.
They are normal UK single sizes. I believe if you go to the FAQ section about accommodation, they have the in-depth info on bed sizing there!
Also can I apply directly to Glen Eyre's Chamberlain Halls or do I just apply to Glen Eyre Ensuite 1/2?

No you cannot.
You apply for hall/type of room/contact length and then you pop in some preferences :yy:
:hi: It's really up to you !
I would definitely recommend Wessex Lane for the student feel. I was there in my 1st year and it's laid out in a way that makes it so easy for you to meet other people and get to know them.
They are normal UK single sizes. I believe if you go to the FAQ section about accommodation, they have the in-depth info on bed sizing there!

No you cannot.
You apply for hall/type of room/contact length and then you pop in some preferences :yy:

I'm sorry, would you be ok with answering a final question? Wessex Lane ensuite 2 and Glen Eyre ensuite 1 are the same prices. I hear stories about Wessex Lane looking like a prison and being so close to the noisy train station, but Glen Eyre isn't very modern. Is there truth to this? Do you know much about Mayflower?

Thank you very much xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending