The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The University of Southampton Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm sorry, would you be ok with answering a final question? Wessex Lane ensuite 2 and Glen Eyre ensuite 1 are the same prices. I hear stories about Wessex Lane looking like a prison and being so close to the noisy train station, but Glen Eyre isn't very modern. Is there truth to this? Do you know much about Mayflower?

Thank you very much xx

yeah no problem haha dw :tongue:
lol it doesn't look like a prison hahaha that's funny. Check out the online tours for yourself. The most prison-like hall imo is what used to be called Liberty Point near Solent University :rofl:
The train station near Wessex Lane is really quiet :confused: there are literally only 2 platforms and the trains going past there usually don't even stop so they are gone immediately :ninja: don't worry about it haha. I think the stop is called St Denys or Swaythling. Can't remember :colondollar: sorry.
I would say wherever you go, there is always a chance of having a room in the older part. In Wessex Lane for example, the recently refurbished blocks are only 2 in number. They are currently doing another one right now so that will make 3 in total.
In Glen Eyre the modern parts are sort of scattered about the site. There are definitely older parts too. The older ones are so nice though and often a bit more spacious. I had quite an old room in Wessex Lane and because I went non-ensuite I had so much space I could practise my violin in there :yy: (although most of the time I made use of the on-site music room to practise :biggrin:)

Yeah I actually worked at Mayflower a few times.
It's right in the city centre so if you're not used to the noise of traffic, trains and general people, don't go for it. But if you're someone that likes being near the action - shops, cinema, clubs, restaurants and places to travel elsewhere, go for it :yy: A lot of students like to be at Mayflower for the gym and stuff like the train station where some used to commute to Winchester.

Hope this helps :hugs:
Cheese
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
yeah no problem haha dw :tongue:
lol it doesn't look like a prison hahaha that's funny. Check out the online tours for yourself. The most prison-like hall imo is what used to be called Liberty Point near Solent University :rofl:
The train station near Wessex Lane is really quiet :confused: there are literally only 2 platforms and the trains going past there usually don't even stop so they are gone immediately :ninja: don't worry about it haha. I think the stop is called St Denys or Swaythling. Can't remember :colondollar: sorry.
I would say wherever you go, there is always a chance of having a room in the older part. In Wessex Lane for example, the recently refurbished blocks are only 2 in number. They are currently doing another one right now so that will make 3 in total.
In Glen Eyre the modern parts are sort of scattered about the site. There are definitely older parts too. The older ones are so nice though and often a bit more spacious. I had quite an old room in Wessex Lane and because I went non-ensuite I had so much space I could practise my violin in there :yy: (although most of the time I made use of the on-site music room to practise :biggrin:)

Yeah I actually worked at Mayflower a few times.
It's right in the city centre so if you're not used to the noise of traffic, trains and general people, don't go for it. But if you're someone that likes being near the action - shops, cinema, clubs, restaurants and places to travel elsewhere, go for it :yy: A lot of students like to be at Mayflower for the gym and stuff like the train station where some used to commute to Winchester.

Hope this helps :hugs:
Cheese

You've been so helpful, thank you very much. I decided to put Mayflower as my first choice because I do enjoy a bit more 'action':smile: but as per your suggestions Wessex is my second choice! I appreciate your help so much. Now I'm just concerned about wifi speed in halls................I'm going to look into it!

Thank you so much xxxxxx
You've been so helpful, thank you very much. I decided to put Mayflower as my first choice because I do enjoy a bit more 'action':smile: but as per your suggestions Wessex is my second choice! I appreciate your help so much. Now I'm just concerned about wifi speed in halls................I'm going to look into it!

Thank you so much xxxxxx

In all my time at halls, wifi has never been an issue :smile: you can get signal anywhere near accommodation or uni buildings using "eduroam"
If you want superfast internet, bring an ethernet cable - some rooms have ports and if not in your room, the study rooms have them so you can always have that :yy:
So I'm starting my PhD in Southampton this academic year (hopefully still September but the uni have not confirmed this yet). Because of uncertainties around COVID uni halls remain my preferred accommodation option but as a UK student I'm not guaranteed this, so I've also been looking at private halls and what's available on SASSH and the facebook page.

I had sort of steeled myself to wait for the result of the halls decision, but as private accommodation starts to sell out I'm becoming increasingly concerned about this strategy. I emailed the uni to see if they had any advice about whether to seek private now or wait and see, and their responses were understandably non-committal but seemed slightly to the downside about my chances of getting uni accommodation. Additionally looking at the terms and conditions for "flexible" contract dates for my first choice private hall I'm a bit concerned that they might not cover a long delay such as a delay to January (although I am seeking clarification on that point). I'm back to indecisiveness now :frown:

Spoiler

Original post by 15Characters...
So I'm starting my PhD in Southampton this academic year (hopefully still September but the uni have not confirmed this yet). Because of uncertainties around COVID uni halls remain my preferred accommodation option but as a UK student I'm not guaranteed this, so I've also been looking at private halls and what's available on SASSH and the facebook page.

I had sort of steeled myself to wait for the result of the halls decision, but as private accommodation starts to sell out I'm becoming increasingly concerned about this strategy. I emailed the uni to see if they had any advice about whether to seek private now or wait and see, and their responses were understandably non-committal but seemed slightly to the downside about my chances of getting uni accommodation. Additionally looking at the terms and conditions for "flexible" contract dates for my first choice private hall I'm a bit concerned that they might not cover a long delay such as a delay to January (although I am seeking clarification on that point). I'm back to indecisiveness now :frown:

Spoiler

Hi there :smile:

You've been doing all the right things! :jumphug: Great to see this :yy:

I totally get that you are worried etc. Have you tried reaching out to the Student's Union Advice Centre? They are honestly the best with Housing and I consulted them every year I went into privately rented accommodation.
You could always have a go at getting in touch with them in case they can advise you best on the situation.

Spoiler

Yeah unfortunately many private providers aren't too flexible at all :/ You're best shot is going to be contacting them and seeing if you can get something from them in writing to say that if you have this delay, your contract can start later.

Uni accommodation have been quite quiet about how things are working at the moment so I do not know for example, if they are operating rooms and flats at full capacity. If not then they are going to struggle to get everyone in :redface:
Hi there :smile:

You've been doing all the right things! :jumphug: Great to see this :yy:

I totally get that you are worried etc. Have you tried reaching out to the Student's Union Advice Centre? They are honestly the best with Housing and I consulted them every year I went into privately rented accommodation.
You could always have a go at getting in touch with them in case they can advise you best on the situation.

Spoiler

Yeah unfortunately many private providers aren't too flexible at all :/ You're best shot is going to be contacting them and seeing if you can get something from them in writing to say that if you have this delay, your contract can start later.

Uni accommodation have been quite quiet about how things are working at the moment so I do not know for example, if they are operating rooms and flats at full capacity. If not then they are going to struggle to get everyone in :redface:

Thanks! I had already emailed some private landlords to clarify the terms of the "flexible contracts" they offer, and I will have a look at the Student's Union Advice Centre. :smile:
Hi 15Characters...,

It is understandable that you are worried and you are rightly thinking that it is better to sort out your accommodation situation sooner rather than later with private halls selling out their rooms.

Unfortunately I cannot advise on the accommodation that is offered via the uni, but my advise with regards to private halls is to just give them a quick call. It is always to best to check with the provider if you are uncertain about the policies and offers on their website.

With regards to later start dates, again, I think you should call the provider directly. For example, our offer here at Vincent Place covers you in case your course has been delayed by the university and your tenancy start date can be pushed back accordingly, even to January. But again even here, this is subject of room availability so the best thing is to move quickly.

If you have any question we can help with, do not hesitate to contact us :smile: -K
Hi I'm really stuck on choosing between ensuite rooms in Glen eyre or Wessex lane. I want to apply for single-gender and alcohol-free as well. I would prefer having quieter accommodation and I've heard Wessex lane can be quite loud. Does Glen Eyre have food places around it as I've heard Wessex lane has a lot of options? The price is also a huge factor for me as Wessex lane ensuite type 1 and 2 are both cheaper than Glen eyre type 1, so I don't know if it's worth paying the extra money for glen eyre. Any help would be really appreciated! :smile:
Original post by Kaf12345
Hi I'm really stuck on choosing between ensuite rooms in Glen eyre or Wessex lane. I want to apply for single-gender and alcohol-free as well. I would prefer having quieter accommodation and I've heard Wessex lane can be quite loud. Does Glen Eyre have food places around it as I've heard Wessex lane has a lot of options? The price is also a huge factor for me as Wessex lane ensuite type 1 and 2 are both cheaper than Glen eyre type 1, so I don't know if it's worth paying the extra money for glen eyre. Any help would be really appreciated! :smile:

Hey there :smile:
Wessex Lane is quite out of the way of stuff so the main noise you're going to hear will be from other students and if it's particularly bad, you can contact Student Life at the time and they can try to sort it for you. They are a 24h service :yy:
Glen Eyre has the costa and pret a manger outlets nearby as well as the co-op and petrol station shops too. A short walk along burgess road provides a range of takeaways including a Dominos and also a Sainsbury's Local - so it's quite convenient.
However, I would definitely say that it isn't really worth paying the extra money for Glen Eyre. This is because usually it's quite oversubscribed anyway and Wessex is a very student friendly place to be. You have a few green areas nearby and the facilities of Connaught hall at your disposal. There is an off-licence shop, chinese restaurant, a few takeaways and the McDonald's right by Wessex. Furthermore, if you like to travel, you can get a bus to the airport/Eastleigh or sports grounds from Wessex and it only takes ~10mins to get there - super convenient! There's also a smaller train station nearby :yy:
I totally get your concerns and hope this helps, I was at Wessex Lane a few years ago and it truly is a great hall. Super easy to meet people and go to events together :yes:
Best wishes,
Cheese
Hey there :smile:
Wessex Lane is quite out of the way of stuff so the main noise you're going to hear will be from other students and if it's particularly bad, you can contact Student Life at the time and they can try to sort it for you. They are a 24h service :yy:
Glen Eyre has the costa and pret a manger outlets nearby as well as the co-op and petrol station shops too. A short walk along burgess road provides a range of takeaways including a Dominos and also a Sainsbury's Local - so it's quite convenient.
However, I would definitely say that it isn't really worth paying the extra money for Glen Eyre. This is because usually it's quite oversubscribed anyway and Wessex is a very student friendly place to be. You have a few green areas nearby and the facilities of Connaught hall at your disposal. There is an off-licence shop, chinese restaurant, a few takeaways and the McDonald's right by Wessex. Furthermore, if you like to travel, you can get a bus to the airport/Eastleigh or sports grounds from Wessex and it only takes ~10mins to get there - super convenient! There's also a smaller train station nearby :yy:
I totally get your concerns and hope this helps, I was at Wessex Lane a few years ago and it truly is a great hall. Super easy to meet people and go to events together :yes:
Best wishes,
Cheese

Thank you so much! this is so helpful!
I just had one last question, how often does the bus come that takes you to Highfield campus for both Wessex lane and glen eyre?
Original post by Kaf12345
Thank you so much! this is so helpful!
I just had one last question, how often does the bus come that takes you to Highfield campus for both Wessex lane and glen eyre?

np :yy:
The bus is great - around lecture times it can come at around 4 times an hour. I am assuming timetables will go back to normal for 2020-21 entry as at the moment it's slightly reduced because it's the "vacation period" (not term time :fyi: )
The buses are awesome and make sure to make use of your free bus pass with halls! You can get to all the campuses and accommodation blocks to visit friends/go to events as well as access the city centre/portswood and the main central bus/train station.
For more info, make sure to visit unilink as this is the bus company. Fun fact: The buses are actually designed and were manufactured in Southampton with aide from the Engineering department :yep:
Hope this helps
Ah good old glen eyre. I was there back in 1991! Think I was in j block, big u shaped block, 3 floors? Was wash basins in rooms and one kitchen to 20 rooms (and shared bathroom to sane). Wonder if it had changed much!
Original post by Catherine1973
Ah good old glen eyre. I was there back in 1991! Think I was in j block, big u shaped block, 3 floors? Was wash basins in rooms and one kitchen to 20 rooms (and shared bathroom to sane). Wonder if it had changed much!

Hey there :hi:
J block has been refurbished recently :yy:
I believe it looks similar to Chancellors Court, which now looks like this :
Feel free to check out the online 360 tours to relive your accommodation experience :tongue:
Cheese
i think i must have been confused, looking at the map, i was in what was called "Roll" on the map, to the far right. which is chancellors court now.
Original post by Catherine1973
i think i must have been confused, looking at the map, i was in what was called "Roll" on the map, to the far right. which is chancellors court now.

Roll is still around.
I meant it’s called roll now, but I think it was m block or something when I was there.
We had to cram everything in the lockable side of the wardrobe when home during holidays, as they rented the rooms for conferences.
has anyone received any offers so far x
has anyone received any offers so far x

Hi the only people who will receive offers around this time are current students.
If you're a new student coming to the Uni, you won't hear back until mid August --> mid September time.
Hi the only people who will receive offers around this time are current students.
If you're a new student coming to the Uni, you won't hear back until mid August --> mid September time.

Mid-September? Do many people have to wait that long, or is that rare?
Original post by 15Characters...
Mid-September? Do many people have to wait that long, or is that rare?

It's usually people who put in late applications (after 1st August) :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending