The Student Room Group

Is it possible to go from a grade 4 to a 7 or higher in GCSE Maths?

Approximately 3/4 months left till GCSE Maths exams, struggling to choose between Higher or Foundation tier. Already have a grade 4 but my firm uni requires a grade 6 (B) whereas insurance requires a grade 5 (C+). If I choose higher whilst taking into account learning new content I haven't seen before, is it possible?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ja78975
Approximately 3/4 months left till GCSE Maths exams, struggling to choose between Higher or Foundation tier. Already have a grade 4 but my firm uni requires a grade 6 (B) whereas insurance requires a grade 5 (C+). If I choose higher whilst taking into account learning new content I haven't seen before, is it possible?

I went to a 7 from a 4, just tried v hard and sacrificed a few grades in my other exams too though unfortunately but it was worth it
PAST PAPERS SAVED ME
Yes its easier than you think. I can help if your doing edexcel..
Original post by sddmo
I went to a 7 from a 4, just tried v hard and sacrificed a few grades in my other exams too though unfortunately but it was worth it
PAST PAPERS SAVED ME

wow, that's reassuring! how did you learn the new content though? there is an overwhelming amount to learn.
Original post by Ja78975
wow, that's reassuring! how did you learn the new content though? there is an overwhelming amount to learn.

Do you do edexcel?
Original post by ibby68

Help is what I need at the moment, I have chosen OCR although there are very few differences? Have you achieved a grade 7 or higher because you sound like you do if your willing to help me 😃.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ja78975
Help is what I need at the moment, I have chosen OCR although there are very few differences? Have you achieved a grade 7 or higher because you sound like you do if your willing to help me 😃.

I went from a 4 to a 6 in basically a week. Did really bad on my paper 1 becuase I dont know how to draw,messed it up so many times so I lost like 7 marks. Which would have gotten me a 7. I knew exactly how to do the question just cannot draw a line apparently :smile:. I cant really help because I didnt do OCR but I can copy and paste some help I sent to some guy doing edexcel if youd like?
Original post by Ja78975

Ok, so this is what I did in like 2 weeks of revising so, assuming you have months you can do this but you can spend more time on individual topics.

First off go to maths genie, start at grade 1 and for grade 1 to 3 id say just watch the vids and write notes because you don't really need to do questions for it, its that easy. For grade 4 and up start doing the questtions booklet as well as watching the videos and writing notes. Dont spend ages writing notes, they are just there for future reference. If you don't understand something from the booklets/videos, search the topic on youtube where some of teachers explain it more in depth.You'lly find this problem with topics grade 6 and up in my experience. So after going from grade 1-9, do past papers from 2015 to now p1,p2 and p3. When marking the past papers, be honest and the stuff the key stuff you get wrong go over again on maths genie.It might seem long but trust me it works, because after that it sticks with you.You need to do as many past papers as you can so you can become familiar with the way they word the questions. anyways, feel free to ask me for help for specific questions if you need to. Good luck.
Original post by ibby68
I went from a 4 to a 6 in basically a week. Did really bad on my paper 1 becuase I dont know how to draw,messed it up so many times so I lost like 7 marks. Which would have gotten me a 7. I knew exactly how to do the question just cannot draw a line apparently :smile:. I cant really help because I didnt do OCR but I can copy and paste some help I sent to some guy doing edexcel if youd like?

Wow that's still a good grade! you have to be really good at drawing and art according to the the examiners 😂😂 you can paste it if you want 😊
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ibby68
Ok, so this is what I did in like 2 weeks of revising so, assuming you have months you can do this but you can spend more time on individual topics.

First off go to maths genie, start at grade 1 and for grade 1 to 3 id say just watch the vids and write notes because you don't really need to do questions for it, its that easy. For grade 4 and up start doing the questtions booklet as well as watching the videos and writing notes. Dont spend ages writing notes, they are just there for future reference. If you don't understand something from the booklets/videos, search the topic on youtube where some of teachers explain it more in depth.You'lly find this problem with topics grade 6 and up in my experience. So after going from grade 1-9, do past papers from 2015 to now p1,p2 and p3. When marking the past papers, be honest and the stuff the key stuff you get wrong go over again on maths genie.It might seem long but trust me it works, because after that it sticks with you.You need to do as many past papers as you can so you can become familiar with the way they word the questions. anyways, feel free to ask me for help for specific questions if you need to. Good luck.

Thanks for this! I will follow this method and hopefully come back to this post on results day to say how it went 😀
Original post by Ja78975
Wow that's still a good grade! you have to be really good at drawing and art according to the the examiners 😂😂 you can paste it if you want 😊

Haha thanks :smile:. All you need is a 6 for most courses tbh, its about 39-48 marks out of 100 for a 6 (OCR board) thats not too bad you can easily achieve that.
Original post by Ja78975
Thanks for this! I will follow this method and hopefully come back to this post on results day to say how it went 😀

Yep, please do :smile:
Original post by ibby68

I do edexcel and i'm struggling a lot
Original post by ibby68
Haha thanks :smile:. All you need is a 6 for most courses tbh, its about 39-48 marks out of 100 for a 6 (OCR board) thats not too bad you can easily achieve that.

Thanks again, glad there are people like you 🙂
Original post by Ja78975

It’s definitely possible, with maths all you need to do is just practice papers, practice papers and of course more practice papers!. As mentioned already maths genie is great, however also maths made easy and physics and maths tutor are great websites too!
Original post by The-judge-16
It’s definitely possible, with maths all you need to do is just practice papers, practice papers and of course more practice papers!. As mentioned already maths genie is great, however also maths made easy and physics and maths tutor are great websites too!

Thanks for your advice! I prefer using Corbett Maths because he focuses on all exam boards and because there are so many resources. Did you also know the exam boards have released student examplers for the Maths GCSE?

https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/548992-paper-4-higher-tier.pdf would you recommend revising from this?
Original post by ibby68

Yes please could you help me I am doing edexcel I aiming for a 9
Original post by Ja78975

Ask for help at school. Maybe take a look at these: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports
Original post by ISHxxxx
Yes please could you help me I am doing edexcel I aiming for a 9

Help is available from 'real' teachers on here ....
Original post by Muttley79
Ask for help at school. Maybe take a look at these: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports

Thanks! this will help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending