The Student Room Group

Would my Gcses be good enough for a russel group?

Are my Gcses good enough

Was slightly disappointed in my media and especially english language where i know i couldve done better but it is what it is. I plan on doing a marketing degree at hopefully leeds? Durham? but i would love to go to a top university like that but not sure how possible that is with what i got especially seeing what others got on here.
English lit:7
English lang:6
Science:6-6
maths:6
Conputer science: 4
media:7
geography:7
history:7

Should be taking economics, film and english literature for A level

Thanks for any help :smile:
Original post by serpae
Are my Gcses good enough

Was slightly disappointed in my media and especially english language where i know i couldve done better but it is what it is. I plan on doing a marketing degree at hopefully leeds? Durham? but i would love to go to a top university like that but not sure how possible that is with what i got especially seeing what others got on here.

Yes of course those are good also Russel group is a very broad term with universities within the group having very different entry standards. I got 6 6s and 3 7s in my GCSEs so quite similar to you and got offers from 3 Russel group universities. However I ended up going to bath becuase it had a slightly better rep compared to the other unis that I applied to so don’t just think about Russel group but consider unis like bath St Andrews and Loughborough as well which are all inside the top 10 rankings
Original post by serpae
Are my Gcses good enough

Dont take any notice of the grades you read on here. They are not typical of most students. Most RG universities dont take too much notice of GCSE results other than English Language and Maths. Your grades are very good anyway 4 at grade 7 and 4 at grade 6. The exceptions are LSE and it used to be Oxford who require high GCSE grades. The one issue you might come across is your Maths grade as universities generally have Maths requirement for Marketing due to the Mathematical nature of the course. Check each university's entrance requirement to see what grade they require for Maths GCSE. I suspect most will accept you with your grade but some may require grade 7. If that is the case resit Maths to get the higher grade.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
Dont take any notice of the grades you read on here. They are not typical of most students. Most RG universities dont take too much notice of GCSE results other than English Language and Maths. Your grades are very good anyway 4 at grade 7 and 4 at grade 6. The exceptions are LSE and it used to be Oxford who require high GCSE grades. The one issue you might come across is your Maths grade as universities generally have Maths requirement for Marketing due to the Mathematical nature of the course. Check each university's entrance requirement to see what grade they require for Maths GCSE. I suspect most will accept you with your grade but some may require grade 7. If that is the case resit Maths to get the higher grade.

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely go and have a look at entry requirements.
Reply 4
Original post by user123456324
Yes of course those are good also Russel group is a very broad term with universities within the group having very different entry standards. I got 6 6s and 3 7s in my GCSEs so quite similar to you and got offers from 3 Russel group universities. However I ended up going to bath becuase it had a slightly better rep compared to the other unis that I applied to so don’t just think about Russel group but consider unis like bath St Andrews and Loughborough as well which are all inside the top 10 rankings

Thanks for the reply Ill have a look at potential unis from that perspective. Its still very early so i never looked super in depth at where i might want to go so this will definitely help with that.
Reply 5
Btw, 'Russell Group' is just a marketing concept - it has no real meaning beyond that. So do not get hung up with the idea that these Unis are inherently 'better' for any subject, or that you will be automatically happier at that Uni.

Go to Uni Open Days, look around, listen to the subject presentations and make up your own mind.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
Btw, 'Russell Group' is just a marketing concept - it has no real meaning beyond that. So do not get hung up with the idea that these Unis are inherently 'better' for any subject, or that you will be automatically happier at that Uni.

Go to Uni Open Days, look around, listen to the subject presentations and make up your own mind.

Thanks for the reply i will definitely do that. Need to look further into universities etc more in depth anyways
Reply 7

Off topic but if your currently at bath do you mind telling me what its like studying there and the facilities and just everything in general about it please
Original post by Rainyzack
Off topic but if your currently at bath do you mind telling me what its like studying there and the facilities and just everything in general about it please

I’ll be able to tell you in a few weeks because I’m about to start !
Reply 9
I’ll be able to tell you in a few weeks because I’m about to start !

Thanks please do tell. And good luck at bath👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending