The Student Room Group

Sports Direct

Scroll to see replies

There won't be any opinions or thoughts until the legislation is passed or nearly passed. No point speculating... Maybe we'll all be on a 4hr contract with everything else being a basic wage overtime

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eternal*
There won't be any opinions or thoughts until the legislation is passed or nearly passed. No point speculating... Maybe we'll all be on a 4hr contract with everything else being a basic wage overtime

Posted from TSR Mobile

Suppose we'll just have to wait and see :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
They'll definitely do a 4 hour contract, the zero hours is working really well for the company so they won't mess with that by giving out contracts when they don't have to.
Original post by MissLightyear
They'll definitely do a 4 hour contract, the zero hours is working really well for the company so they won't mess with that by giving out contracts when they don't have to.

True.
But if they do end up doing contracts for CAST, I'd rather have it that they do a 6 or more hour contract tbh....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
True.
But if they do end up doing contracts for CAST, I'd rather have it that they do a 6 or more hour contract tbh....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd try to negotiate mine:

3 full days a week, plus any overtime.

That'd see me content.

But, as we are all implying, I can't see that happening...
Original post by MalteseMalteser
I'd try to negotiate mine:

3 full days a week, plus any overtime.

That'd see me content.

But, as we are all implying, I can't see that happening...

Yeah I think I'd do the same
Yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I think I'd do the same
Yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

That, or I'd just say gimme full-time hours part-time. You know I can do it, I've done it before - but I don't think they could afford it during the quieter periods of the year.

Having said that, I'm normally at uni during the quieter parts of the year :ninja:
Original post by MalteseMalteser
That, or I'd just say gimme full-time hours part-time. You know I can do it, I've done it before - but I don't think they could afford it during the quieter periods of the year.

Having said that, I'm normally at uni during the quieter parts of the year :ninja:

Yeah that is true, you can do it :redface:
Yeah, I'll be starting uni in September, so I can easily fit in work around that :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3948
Has the zero hour thing actually been confirmed?
Original post by randomm1
So I've been working at sports direct for over a year, I started at 16 at £5 an hour, last month I moved to a new store and today while I was on the tills I found out I was able to do returns and voids etc, I didn't get told by anyone that I can do it now, I asked a supervisor and she said it's weird since I only work weekends. But my question is will my pay have increased?

I received a 40p pay rise after my 2nd year. All i did was ask the manager really. Asked for a meeting with him, explained why I wanted it and why i think i should be getting one. One month later I had a meeting with the Area manager and the payrise was done. But like I said very early on in this thread, all Sports Direct stores operate differently depending on management.
Original post by Mikey_NNG
I received a 40p pay rise after my 2nd year. All i did was ask the manager really. Asked for a meeting with him, explained why I wanted it and why i think i should be getting one. One month later I had a meeting with the Area manager and the payrise was done. But like I said very early on in this thread, all Sports Direct stores operate differently depending on management.

Criteria for a payrise has changed. You have to sell LOADS of 5 Star to even be considered. The only payrises I've had were when I turned 18, and then in October. The first was due to changing me up to the NMW for 18 year olds, the one in October bringing it in line with the new NMW laws.
True.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know in Europe theirs no CAST staff they're all contracted as part time sales assistants but I don't know how many hours. They still did a variety of shifts. That's something to do with EU laws though, its a lot stricter than here

Tbh I cant see zero hours contracts being banned, too many places use them!
I know in Europe theirs no CAST staff they're all contracted as part time sales assistants but I don't know how many hours. They still did a variety of shifts. That's something to do with EU laws though, its a lot stricter than here

Tbh I cant see zero hours contracts being banned, too many places use them!

Yeah that is true
Zero hour contracts can be good, but the downfall to that is how many hours and shifts you get, and if you're shift randomly gets cut :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that is true
Zero hour contracts can be good, but the downfall to that is how many hours and shifts you get, and if you're shift randomly gets cut :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's not too bad if you've got good managers who make sure the shifts are fair but nothing worse than cancelling plans because you're working only for it to be cut
There are times when I have to take days off and therefore I'm not working that week. That's gonna be more difficult if we're on a contract

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah as much as the zero hours benefits the business, it benefits the employees too. I genuinely don't think they'll give out contracts though, the legislation won't go through and if it does everyone will get 4 hour contracts nothing more
Yeah it's not too bad if you've got good managers who make sure the shifts are fair but nothing worse than cancelling plans because you're working only for it to be cut

Yeah exactly! I've only had like two shifts cancelled since working for the company. But other than that, I get shifts every week unless I ask for time off :smile: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guess what I got the job. I forgot to tell and memorised.. the stuff and it was worth it! Tomoroww Induction!
Original post by englishdhsj
Guess what I got the job. I forgot to tell and memorised.. the stuff and it was worth it! Tomoroww Induction!

Ah well done :biggrin:
Original post by englishdhsj

Congratulations! Let me know if you see Diana. Small Bulgarian supervisor =)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending