The Student Room Group

Sports Direct

Scroll to see replies

Agreed on the ladders being ridiculously big - my back is so screwed up from having to lift them all the time at work (I'm like 5' 3'', so imagine me holding the biggest ladder we have to use). I knock signs down at work all the time - I've knocked down our Field & Trek one about 5 times and now it's come off so much it won't go back on the hooks, lol. Not to mention the amount of times I've nearly fallen over whilst carrying it/walked into people when holding it etc because there just isn't enough room to manoeuvre sometimes and somehow people manage to not see a god knows how many feet ladder until it's RIGHT THERE in front of them.
I hate Sports Direct with a passion from a Geordie.
Reply 382
My last job was at Sports Direct. I really loved working there because of the people I worked with, but the managers were horrible and we weren't always getting paid for staying over an hour longer than our shift time, so I ended up leaving. Although I'm going back a couple of years. They may have changed things in that time. And yes, those ladders are just insanely huge. I used to hate it when customers asked for something from right at the top. I felt like throwing the ladder at them :P
Any idea how you would go about leaving SD? Im not gonna yet but I kinda have another job which is more conveinient for me (I have set days to work unlike the short notice shifts I get from SD) for when I start college and I'd rather just have that. Anyway, I'd reccomend it tbh. My managers are top drawer, its p*ss easy and shortish shifts.
Well i work for Sports direct now i start on the weekend so not sure what the routines are like just yet! but after my interveiw an email was sent to me the same night and i had to give in my bank details etc etc. then i had to wait for a phone call to state when i would be starting.. the email i recieved contained my hourly pay which is £3.64 LOL. but a job is a job especially when you have no experience trying to complete your A-levels :smile: hope this helped....:biggrin:
Reply 385
Original post by MoonGazer
Agreed on the ladders being ridiculously big - my back is so screwed up from having to lift them all the time at work (I'm like 5' 3'', so imagine me holding the biggest ladder we have to use). I knock signs down at work all the time - I've knocked down our Field & Trek one about 5 times and now it's come off so much it won't go back on the hooks, lol. Not to mention the amount of times I've nearly fallen over whilst carrying it/walked into people when holding it etc because there just isn't enough room to manoeuvre sometimes and somehow people manage to not see a god knows how many feet ladder until it's RIGHT THERE in front of them.

Omg same here lol. I really can't carry that big ladder, I've ended up getting scratches and bruises from it :|
They really shouldn't allow us to carry it, i just get the guys working there to help me out.
But yes everytime i carry it, my back gets screwed too & i end up knocking stuff over with it :/
Reply 386
Does anybody in here work at the Sports Direct Speke Retail Park? can't get through to find my hours for next week.

Cheers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ste774
Does anybody in here work at the Sports Direct Speke Retail Park? can't get through to find my hours for next week.

Cheers.

Have you not got your managers number? Thats what I do to find stuff out.
Reply 388
Original post by ste774

Cheers.

Hiya how did u get your job there... did you just hand a cv in?
Yeah, just hand in your cv to someone at the tills with what days and times you can work on it.
Reply 390
Got me first day tomorrow at Speke in Liverpool, haven't been given a uniform though? what should I do haha?
Reply 391
Original post by ste774
Got me first day tomorrow at Speke in Liverpool, haven't been given a uniform though? what should I do haha?

Try and wear dark trackies, preferably umbro, slazenger or adidas, trainers (obviously!) and then if you have one a red polo or just a normal t shirt. They should give you a red SD polo to wear but you never know with the state of the uniforms. Good luck!
Reply 392
^ Thanks mate. Do you know by any chance if you get a choice wether to get put on footwear or whatever?
Original post by ste774

You get it on your first day and you change in the toilets.
Reply 394
I had an interview there today and its quite a strange story.

His conference call was 40 minutes late so he was on the phone the whole time.

He made me stand there and wait 55 minutes before he spoke to me.

While he was on the phone, he fed me questions by writing it down on the back of my C.V. and then I answered them.

Afterwards he said he felt terrible about it and then he offered me the job on the spot there and then lol.

I basically went through all the procedures and now according to this email im hired:

"Congratulations we are delighted to offer you a position with Sports Direct.

In order to guarantee a smooth transition into our company we will need some extra information in order to complete your starter pack, could you please click on the link below, which will take you to our secure server where we will ask you to log in, check your personal details and provide us with some additional information."
Reply 395
Original post by Maccabees
You get it on your first day and you change in the toilets.

haha nice! thank you.
Reply 396
anyone know wether its ok to ask your manager if you can be put on footwear? Had my first day today and was cleaning up, clothing up etc, pretty boring.
I'm not too sure, we generally just got assigned it when we started.

I swear I could kill my manager today though. He's basically said if I don't do better on selling bags for life then he's going to cut my hours right down so he can get someone else to sell them who's better than me. I do not see how it is at all fair that my hours of work are being based not on how I work, but on just how many bags for life I sell? What the heck!? It has been pretty quiet the past few days and I have been putting clothing out/accessories and no matter what I try, people either will or won't be. You're hardly going to buy a great big bag now then are you when you're just buying say, a t-shirt? Then he told me not to interrupt him and he said, why are you getting all defensive? Or something to that effect - um, I don't know, because you're effectively accusing me of not trying/not asking when I am, amongst other nonsense? I like our area manager better than my actual manager, he's that bad.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 398
Right guys help needed

I wen to an open day on Monday and gave them my CV and filled out a form for them with days i could work etc. The manager said if you have not heard anything from him by Sunday that you have not got the job

Anyways i got a call on Thursday saying i got the job and could i hand in my NI number and passport copy so they could send to head office

Now i am just wondering what happens from here and how long untill they get back in to contact with me

THANKS
Reply 399
Right got an email today welcoming me into the company and to follow a link given them my payment details and stuff

Just wandering what happens next

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending