The Student Room Group

Sports Direct

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RussMack
Literally has the exact same situation today, I hate the 'I want' attitude from customers like that, feel like telling them to f*ck off and annoy someone else instead

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg same I hate it when they have the 'I want' attitude. I literally want to say the same and chuck something at their heads.

Like the other day I had a customer shouting and swearing at me cos of the team football bin sign as he didn't see the 'from' bit and assumed all the team balls were 6 pounds, and the Nike balls are obviously 2 for £20 and for some strange reason he assumed they were 6 pounds or something like that. Then when he wanted to return something and exchange, he wanted a refund but told him it would be a credit note and I honestly nearly lost it as he was p****** me off so much and I ended up getting my manager and then the customer wanted to complain further -.- argh but it's annoying at the fact that customers don't understand that we don't set the company policy ourselves..

Also, I had a customer moan at me at the fact that the credit note is a piece of paper, and not a card like it was ages ago, and wanted me to get my manager as you can't use a credit note for a gift card and my manager ended up giving her the number for customer services, his name and my area managers name :rolleyes: I don't get customers at times -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4341
Hi guys, had an interview today and was offered a job and was told to expect an email from head offie regarding bank details and birth certificates etc, but when will the store manager usually contact me about shifts? Also I was alarmed at how easy the interview was and how I was offered the job on the spot which suggests they take loads of people on but on very little hours, so on average how many hours do sports direct workers work?
Thanks a lot!!
Original post by LFC264
Hi guys, had an interview today and was offered a job and was told to expect an email from head offie regarding bank details and birth certificates etc, but when will the store manager usually contact me about shifts? Also I was alarmed at how easy the interview was and how I was offered the job on the spot which suggests they take loads of people on but on very little hours, so on average how many hours do sports direct workers work?
Thanks a lot!!

i don't work at SD anymore but i was there for over a year and since i'm online i might as well just answer this for you :tongue:

i'm a little surprised that you've been offered a job but no induction shift(s)?
i got my job on the spot at the interview, and then we arranged a few days where i'd come in and get used to the place.
if you haven't had an induction, i'd consider ringing your new boss (or going in to the store) and asking if you could arrange your first shift because you want to get used to the place as quickly as possible.

i'm not gonna lie to you, it isn't difficult to get a job at SD - they hire many more people than they need, and once they figure out who's useful, they'll only give those people regular shifts.
they can get away with it because of the infamous 0 hour contracts, but essentially people are highly disposable to them which is a shame to see.

all i would say is that as an individual who just wants money/experience from part time work, make sure you can get yourself some shifts asap.
once you start working well and integrating yourself as part of the "clique" in the shop, you'll get shifts no problem.

it isn't about who you are - i was a university student working with primarily local geordies who aren't in education anymore; we all got on just fine.
in fact it was pretty nice and endearing how they'd always come to me with "smart person" questions.
the reason why the difference wasn't a problem is because i never thought i was better than them (because i'm not).
i'm simply on a different path and when it comes to working part time in retail, you can learn from some your new colleagues a great deal, especially the longer serving ones :smile:

you just need to be useful and the best way of doing that is to be among the best at something very specific.
for example, i was by far the best at general customer service; i loved to serve customers, i loved to get them what they wanted, and i was very good at diffusing tension and keeping the place more stable.
if you can develop a specialty, you'll be seen as part of the "main roster"; you'll be seen as less disposable than others, and you'll get regular shifts :smile:

i certainly don't approve it as a place of work in the long term, but if you're in need of money and part time experience, there's no reason not to give it a go.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ohhello92x
Had a customer today who was rude.
Was on tills and he gave me like a 5 or 10 pound note (can't remember which) and was getting out the change. Was down to the last 2 one pound coins which I didn't realise until the till was open so had to give the rest of the change in 10/20ps. The customer was then like oh you haven't got any pound coins left and I was like no I've just ran out I'm afraid and then I radioed for more pound coins. He was then getting arsey cos he wanted all of his change in pound coins and was like can't you change it when it gets here and I was like no I can't as the till is shut (I have management functions but still :redface:) and the pound coins haven't come yet and idk how long it'll be before someone comes with them. He was then like oh this place is a joke and stormed off.

I can understand that people may not like carrying loads of change around but my store has a policy where we're not allowed to open the tills to change notes/change :redface: so I was only following that..

Posted from TSR Mobile

naughty :wink:
Original post by Lúcio
naughty :wink:

Hehe :wink: my manager clearly thinks i'm amazing that's why i got it :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hehe :wink: my manager clearly thinks i'm amazing that's why i got it :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not even gonna ask what you did to get those privileges... :O
Original post by LFC264
Thanks a lot!!

Honestly it's an easy interview. I pretty much knew I got the job cos my store was in a temporary unit at the time of the interview due to the current original one being refurbished and after my old manager finished having the interview with me my old assistant manager was like yeah when you start we'll be back in the other store.

It would usually be after your details have been processed that you'd get contacted about shifts. But as I never uploaded my birth certificate and ID, I ended up going into the store to get them to do a copy and that was then I had my induction and sorted out my shifts :smile: so I would say you can always go into the store and speak to the manager about it :smile:

With hours, it's a zero hour contract. they see how good you are at selling 5* products and if you're brilliant at selling them, you'll get a ton of hours. If not, then not so many hours

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
I'm not even gonna ask what you did to get those privileges... :O

Nothing dodgy honest :biggrin:
I was pretty much just given it :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing dodgy honest :biggrin:
I was pretty much just given it :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dunno...
Looking at your previous post along with this one, it looks very dodgy indeed :wink:

You can always count on Lúcio to liven up a dead thread :biggrin:
Original post by Lúcio
I dunno...
Looking at your previous post along with this one, it looks very dodgy indeed :wink:

You can always count on Lúcio to liven up a dead thread :biggrin:

Haha of course :wink: i'm thinking you're on about the subway posts on this thread? :lol: :wink:

Lol definitely haha :lol: oh i miss the fun on this thread :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha of course :wink: i'm thinking you're on about the subway posts on this thread? :lol: :wink:

Lol definitely haha :lol: oh i miss the fun on this thread :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Subway posts?
Is there something I should know? :wink:

Don't miss me too much; I'm still around :tongue:
Just moved on to better things :colone:
Like the others have said, the better you are at your job the more hours you'll receive. I started on about 8 hours a week just to cover peak weekend hours (11-3 Saturday and Sunday) and I've slowly learnt and become better at what I do, I'm now the main shoey in my store and work 30ish hours as well as another job and college full time, I'm not at uni yet :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
Subway posts?
Is there something I should know? :wink:

Don't miss me too much; I'm still around :tongue:
Just moved on to better things :colone:

I think there was something about the size of the subs a while back on here :wink: :tongue:

:smile:
Fair enough, don't blame people for leaving the company tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think there was something about the size of the subs a while back on here :wink: :tongue:

:smile:
Fair enough, don't blame people for leaving the company tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh god yeah, i was just all innocent saying i always have 6 inch meatball ones :colondollar:
dirty mind... :wink:

yeah, honestly it's not a nice place to work, it's just money in the bank really.

Like the others have said, the better you are at your job the more hours you'll receive. I started on about 8 hours a week just to cover peak weekend hours (11-3 Saturday and Sunday) and I've slowly learnt and become better at what I do, I'm now the main shoey in my store and work 30ish hours as well as another job and college full time, I'm not at uni yet :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

precisely - if you work hard and become proficient at the job, you'll get regular hours and you'll be fine.
it's just that you must understand how difficult it must be for other people who think they have a job but they really don't.

0 hour contracts really are one of the worst things i've ever seen - nobody gets any insurance of what they'll be earning, there's no consistency in working days and the system over-stocks staff and give them as little as one shift per month.
digraceful.
Original post by Lúcio
oh god yeah, i was just all innocent saying i always have 6 inch meatball ones :colondollar:
dirty mind... :wink:

yeah, honestly it's not a nice place to work, it's just money in the bank really.

precisely - if you work hard and become proficient at the job, you'll get regular hours and you'll be fine.
it's just that you must understand how difficult it must be for other people who think they have a job but they really don't.

0 hour contracts really are one of the worst things i've ever seen - nobody gets any insurance of what they'll be earning, there's no consistency in working days and the system over-stocks staff and give them as little as one shift per month.
digraceful.

Hahaha :wink: oh of course :lol:
Exactly. I'm at that point now where I'm looking to leave..

Yeah zero hour contract really is a pain in the backside

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hahaha :wink: oh of course :lol:
Exactly. I'm at that point now where I'm looking to leave..

Yeah zero hour contract really is a pain in the backside

Posted from TSR Mobile

pretty sure i got multiple blue cards from this thread as a result of that de-railing :wink:

you've been looking to leave for months :tongue:
i only got a new job after i'd left - i was always saying that i wanted something lined up first, but honestly you have no drive to look properly for another one.
*Poor employee knowledge time*
We never bother concentrating on the time for our staff discount in our store, however I'm just about to head down to the Mothership that is the Shirebrook store, are the correct times 2-5 or 4-7?

(Chants 'We're an FT store we do what we like' lmao)
Original post by Lúcio
pretty sure i got multiple blue cards from this thread as a result of that de-railing :wink:

you've been looking to leave for months :tongue:
i only got a new job after i'd left - i was always saying that i wanted something lined up first, but honestly you have no drive to look properly for another one.

Haha probably :wink:

Yeah I know :tongue: I've been looking as much as I can, but due to uni u can only do part time. But the jobs I come across that I'm interested in they have set days, so it's either only one day I can do or no days :frown:
Yeah that's so true. I'd rather leave knowing I have something lined up :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
*Poor employee knowledge time*
We never bother concentrating on the time for our staff discount in our store, however I'm just about to head down to the Mothership that is the Shirebrook store, are the correct times 2-5 or 4-7?

(Chants 'We're an FT store we do what we like' lmao)

What there's set times for employee discounts? If there is then I never knew that :K:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha probably :wink:

Yeah I know :tongue: I've been looking as much as I can, but due to uni u can only do part time. But the jobs I come across that I'm interested in they have set days, so it's either only one day I can do or no days :frown:
Yeah that's so true. I'd rather leave knowing I have something lined up :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

all your fault - dat thirst :wink:

oh i agree; i was the same as you, looking for a job whilst working there....1 year later i was still there.
it's difficult because although 0 hour contracts are awful, they're also highly flexible too.

What there's set times for employee discounts? If there is then I never knew that :K:

Posted from TSR Mobile

there is - it's actually ridiculous.
never seen anything like it; at my store you could only do it on wednesday after 5pm.
that's absolutely insane.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending