The Student Room Group

Sports Direct

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itssammorgan
I had my first shift today and started on the tille. It was great, I got the hand of it pretty quickly, my only issue at first rembering to remove both of the tags on double tagged items. I set off the alarms quite a few times.

Strangely, when I went for my interview (which was in mid June) I was told that my job would involve me working on boots as well as the till. We're now into August and I still haven't been trained how to use a till, so every time the till staff ask for help I cannot jump on. I'm not complaining because tills don't look the easiest to work with, and I'd much rather be out on the shop floor selling products and making money. I'm starting to get good at persuading people to buy certain products over others. Although, I hate it when a customer asks me a question that I don't know the answer to (e.g. What's the difference between these two shoes other than the style?), especially when there's nobody around to ask, so I just end up speaking a load of bs then the customer asks another member of staff and I get embarrassed. Some of the customers even have the guts to come back to me and say that what I told them was a load of bs so don't stay stuff when you don't know what you're on about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had my first shift today and started on the tille. It was great, I got the hand of it pretty quickly, my only issue at first rembering to remove both of the tags on double tagged items. I set off the alarms quite a few times.

You'll get used to it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for 4 places and heard back days later.

I applied for another one, got a interview a few days later and sadly got rejected.
Original post by tshombe123
I applied for another one, got a interview a few days later and sadly got rejected.

Just keep trying again. I had no experience before this job and I still managed to get a job at Sports Direct. They're looking for people who can persuade someone to buy one product over another, so in other words a good salesman.
Original post by qasim_96
Just keep trying again. I had no experience before this job and I still managed to get a job at Sports Direct. They're looking for people who can persuade someone to buy one product over another, so in other words a good salesman.

Yeah I lied and said i Was interested in football and watch it everyday. They asked me a question that said "Because you are knowledgable in football, how would you sell football boots? What size studs would you recommend the customer?" That completely f***ed me over lol. I applied to 3 others since that but they rejected me before I could enter the interview stage even though I used the same answers on the online application as the one I did before. Don't know if I'm black listed or what..
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tshombe123
Yeah I lied and said i Was interested in football and watch it everyday. They asked me a question that said "Because you are knowledgable in football, how would you sell football boots? What size studs would you recommend the customer?" That completely f***ed me over lol. I applied to 3 others since that but they rejected me before I could enter the interview stage even though I used the same answers on the online application as the one I did before. Don't know if I'm black listed or what..

That's strange cause I said I'm interested in sport (I mainly just watch football and occasionally watch cricket) and all the manager asked me is what sport are you most interested in and which team do you support. It could be because you said 'knowledgeable' rather than 'interested'. Gotta be careful how you word your sentences. Even then I still don't think they should've rejected you cause I know nothing about football boots or footwear in general - I just pick up the best looking shoe and buy that. And most of the things I say to customers regarding the shoes are just made up on the spot, regardless of whether they're true or not. So to reject you cause of your lack of knowledge is strange.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had my first shift today :smile:
Original post by Chip658
Had my first shift today :smile:

How was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty good thanks, was on tills all day. Not sure if this is good or not really but I had 10.8% bag sales :smile:
Original post by Chip658
Pretty good thanks, was on tills all day. Not sure if this is good or not really but I had 10.8% bag sales :smile:

That's brilliant for your first shift :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
10.8%?? Unheard of in our store! One or two may know already my store is probably the smallest in the country but I managed to set the daily commission record today with £10.90!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RussMack
10.8%?? Unheard of in our store! One or two may know already my store is probably the smallest in the country but I managed to set the daily commission record today with £10.90!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah well done :smile:
I was upstairs at my store today, it was pretty much a quiet day so didn't get as much in commission as you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes its monthly now. It used to be every 3 months or so but recently got changed to monthly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=qasim_96;58153621 Mobile So when and how is it split between everyone? Is it the commission from the previous month eg July at the end of August and August to the end of September etc?Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
It's my first shift this Saturday and I'm so worried cause I have no idea what to do and my manager is rude, so I'm scared to ask him lol. I had my induction earlier in the week and I have a few concerns about that too:

Firstly, they sort of trained us but only in tagging shoes and how to find shoes in the stockroom. Then I spent 5 minutes with someone on the shop floor while he talked me through how to approach customers but I'm so confused about what to do if someone actually asks me for something, like I know how to radio back to the stockroom, but what if they ask if they have a certain shoe in a different colour, do I just look around to see if I can find one in a different colour?

Secondly, I thought the induction was just getting uniform and going through rules, but they made us do the "training" and then tag all the shoes that needed to be tagged. I thought it was okay if we're getting paid, but I've seen on here that it's an unpaid induction?! I was there from 9 - 3, doing actual work from 11-3, so I hope I'm getting paid!

Finally, I know it's probably different for every store, but what do I do when I get there? Do I just sign in and ask the manager what department to be in or..? It was all so unorganised IMO.
I have the same issue! No idea how to go about doing anything on my first shift, and they basically gave us no training..
Original post by R-Team
I have the same issue! No idea how to go about doing anything on my first shift, and they basically gave us no training..

I didn't even have an induction and I was put on shoes on a Saturday two days after my interview, I spent about 5 minutes being shown how to use radio then I was left to it. It's was a little confusing at first but it's easy to get the hang of and the more confidence you gain the quicker you are at getting the shoes and the more customers you can serve at once. On my third Saturday shift I earnt over £19 commission in 5 hours and finished top of the weekly rankings, just ask an older of mber of staff if your not sure about anything and they should help
Original post by WRICHARDSON953
So when and how is it split between everyone? Is it the commission from the previous month eg July at the end of August and August to the end of September etc?Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the commission is paid out at the end of the next month. So the commission earned in July will be paid out at the end of August. I think the store commission is shared our equally amongst every employee, and you also get the commission that went straight into your pot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AGlasgow
It's my first shift this Saturday and I'm so worried cause I have no idea what to do and my manager is rude, so I'm scared to ask him lol. I had my induction earlier in the week and I have a few concerns about that too:

Firstly, they sort of trained us but only in tagging shoes and how to find shoes in the stockroom. Then I spent 5 minutes with someone on the shop floor while he talked me through how to approach customers but I'm so confused about what to do if someone actually asks me for something, like I know how to radio back to the stockroom, but what if they ask if they have a certain shoe in a different colour, do I just look around to see if I can find one in a different colour?

Secondly, I thought the induction was just getting uniform and going through rules, but they made us do the "training" and then tag all the shoes that needed to be tagged. I thought it was okay if we're getting paid, but I've seen on here that it's an unpaid induction?! I was there from 9 - 3, doing actual work from 11-3, so I hope I'm getting paid!

Finally, I know it's probably different for every store, but what do I do when I get there? Do I just sign in and ask the manager what department to be in or..? It was all so unorganised IMO.

In my store we have this notice in our staff room that tells us which department we're in, and for me I'm always in the same department so I don't even bother to look at it.

As far as the induction and first shifts are concerned, for my induction I was just shown around the store and told about policies and health and safety. For my first shift I was just trained on how to sort out the shoe tables and the shoe wall (which is my department) and was also shown how to tag shoes and shown around the stockroom. I wasn't even given a radio so for my second shift I had to go and as a colleague to show me how to use one.

My management is great but they haven't exactly given me a huge amount of training, and it's been more a case of self taught and ask a colleague if you're not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How you all enjoying your ZHC which Mike Cashley likes exploiting
Yeah the commission is paid out at the end of the next month. So the commission earned in July will be paid out at the end of August. I think the store commission is shared our equally amongst every employee, and you also get the commission that went straight into your pot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it's paid with your individual commission then? And what happens if you join in the middle of the month?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending