The Student Room Group

Sports Direct

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xOsugaplumfairy
I have an interview soon!
Does anyone know how much they pay 18 year olds??
Pleasee!! :smile:

£4.98 + commission

Original post by UPSDGoat
£4.98 + commission

The commission depends on whether you get a job in the shoe department or can sell socks/insoles at the till though. But if you can pull it off it adds a nice little amount of money to your monthly paycheck (or if it's the Karrimor commission, a bit of extra pay in November).
Original post by MalteseMalteser
The commission depends on whether you get a job in the shoe department or can sell socks/insoles at the till though. But if you can pull it off it adds a nice little amount of money to your monthly paycheck (or if it's the Karrimor commission, a bit of extra pay in November).

Yeah that's true. At my store though if someone forgets to write their payroll onto the box the till staff is allowed to steal the commission (:
Yeah that's true. At my store though if someone forgets to write their payroll onto the box the till staff is allowed to steal the commission (:

Actually, if a number isn't written down you're meant to put it through as 999, as otherwise you're essentially taking credit for someone else's work which to me just doesn't seem fair at all, not to mention it could make for an awkward situation if you sold several that way and are then put on the spot and being asked how you've managed to sell so many.
Well being in the shoe department I think it's unfair that tills don't get a chance to get as much commission, so if I'm working on my own I tell the till people they can put their own number in if an insole or running shoe appears without a payroll :L if they do steal it off me then I'll have a problem

That's exactly the same as at my store! it's why I always make sure to put it on - and sometimes I walk to the till to put it on myself :colondollar:
Yeah that does seem unfair if you're behind tills

£5.50
Original post by Eternal*
£5.50

Thank you :smile:
Hi everyone. Can someone tell me how old do I have to be to work at Sports Direct? Im 16 and im still in school, but I got an interview at a store. Im not sure if I can work there yet cause other places said im too young?
Original post by whyamisogreat
Hi everyone. Can someone tell me how old do I have to be to work at Sports Direct? Im 16 and im still in school, but I got an interview at a store. Im not sure if I can work there yet cause other places said im too young?

You can work there if you're 16 as long as it's after the last week in June that you're in school (in other words, you can work at your store from the beginning of July). This will be the reason why all the other places said no for you being too young as (I think) it's the National requirements?
Original post by MalteseMalteser
You can work there if you're 16 as long as it's after the last week in June that you're in school (in other words, you can work at your store from the beginning of July). This will be the reason why all the other places said no for you being too young as (I think) it's the National requirements?

Ah thanks for the reply!
And yeah I emailed the person and he said the same thing. I have to wait till schools finished. But there wont be any vacancies then
Ah thanks for the reply!
And yeah I emailed the person and he said the same thing. I have to wait till schools finished. But there wont be any vacancies then

There could be a high staff turnover, I know it's the case with the store I work at, if you wait a couple of months after schools finished then vacancies should be open again
Ah thanks for the reply!

Or you could hand in your CV and say you can only start from summer.
I know in my store a couple people are going to leave during or before summer because they are going on holidays etc. Or people are moving out for uni, or people are busy with other things like internships during this summer.
whats the procedure for pay rise?
What do you mean exactly, Eternal? As far as I'm aware, you don't really get one aside from when the national minimum wage goes up. I've been at my store for over 2 years and never gotten one above NMW in that time.
Original post by MoonGazer
What do you mean exactly, Eternal? As far as I'm aware, you don't really get one aside from when the national minimum wage goes up. I've been at my store for over 2 years and never gotten one above NMW in that time.

I thought it would go up yearly depending on your performance, but if its only related to NMW then thats such a shame :frown:
Original post by Eternal*
I thought it would go up yearly depending on your performance, but if its only related to NMW then thats such a shame :frown:

Yeah when I first joined, I was told during my interview before it was made "official" that I'd been hired that I would get a pay rise after my 6 month probationary period. After that had passed, I asked my then boss about it and he said it was up to the manager's (his) discretion and my performance at work or some nonsenses. We never got on particularly well and stuff so needless to say it never happened, but he could well have just been lying to me from that start, for all I know.
In my store everyone is on nmw, no Payrises are allowed
Everyone is on £5.50?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending