The Student Room Group

Sports Direct

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ohhello92x
Same it's Thursday's for my store as well :redface:
But I'm not too sure if it's from a certain time or till :/ but I'll find out when I use my discount :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine says it in big letters in the staff room so maybe you'll find some helpful info there? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 981
Original post by averagejoee
I've been working for a couple of weeks now and had 5 shifts already! Quite enjoying it I must say and it's very active on shoes.. Especially a Saturday! But I am now panicking because I'm not sure I'm checking in and out okay. Like today I clocked in at 8:44am for a 9:00am shift using the fingerprint and payroll number. The till then seems to reset and I clocked out at 2:31am doing it the same way as I did when I clocked in? My shift was 9-2 Is this correct? The guys at work said it was fine? The first few shifts I was clocked in by somebody else which was helpful as they showed me but I have completeley forgot!

if there is a problem with clocking in or out the manager will sort it on his computer and maybe have a word with you about it to find out what happened
Original post by Quins8
if there is a problem with clocking in or out the manager will sort it on his computer and maybe have a word with you about it to find out what happened

That depends, as now managers can't make any changes to Kronos - they can only delete shifts and not edit them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 983
I've worked at sports direct a few years and since the new KPI incentive was brought in ive disliked working there even more. we have signs on the staffroom toilet walls saying if we dont sell enough bags for life when on tills or gel insoles on shoes the manager will not give hours which puts a lots of pressure on the staff. i know the store needs to make money and wants sales people to work for them but if they cared about there staff they would help provide better training especially for those lacking in sales experience rather than just saying the usual "dont offer the bags, sell them, let the customer know how useful they are, that they can be used to laundry or carrying shopping" etc. e.g. you can let all 90 customers you serve on your shift know this and 1 of them will buy a bag where as the other till person has 10 people to serve and 5 of them buy 6 bags each. its a matter of luck! you cannot pressure of force customers to buy the bags or they will not want to come back as the staff would just become annoying. plus its so hot in store without windows and the aircon is more like a radiator and the music is annoying.
Original post by Quins8
I've worked at sports direct a few years and since the new KPI incentive was brought in ive disliked working there even more. we have signs on the staffroom toilet walls saying if we dont sell enough bags for life when on tills or gel insoles on shoes the manager will not give hours which puts a lots of pressure on the staff. i know the store needs to make money and wants sales people to work for them but if they cared about there staff they would help provide better training especially for those lacking in sales experience rather than just saying the usual "dont offer the bags, sell them, let the customer know how useful they are, that they can be used to laundry or carrying shopping" etc. e.g. you can let all 90 customers you serve on your shift know this and 1 of them will buy a bag where as the other till person has 10 people to serve and 5 of them buy 6 bags each. its a matter of luck! you cannot pressure of force customers to buy the bags or they will not want to come back as the staff would just become annoying. plus its so hot in store without windows and the aircon is more like a radiator and the music is annoying.

When I get on my laptop later on I will be pos repping this post because I completely agree with all of it! Like yesterday I jumped on tills to queue bust when I should've been pulling IBT, and in three/four customers I sold two big bags for life - one of them I didn't even have to offer a bag, they just said that they'd take one without me offering!! So yeah, my percentage was roughly 100-125% or something like that compared to the till girls because of the transaction ratio to bags I'd done, and it is all a game of luck.

Some of the music this time round isn't too bad though, I kinda like one or two of the songs... :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 985
my new store manager is awful. he tells me i need to tidy shop floor mens section on not so busy days in 30-40 minutes? its a fairly big store i think... well there are 24 floor stands and 6 wall sections he even said it should take between 5 - 8 minutes on each stand. he isnt good at math if he thinks it can be done in 40 minutes then hmmm. when i work i want to get the job done right and tidy properly so the next staff member only needs to maintain the section rather than sorting out what product goes where. my boss seems to want our staff to either not tidy things properly but to make it look neat from a distance or to tidy things properly at a ridiculous speed. I've worked at the store long enough to know if you go too fast mistakes are made. why leave a stand half done when itll get very very untidy the next time a customer comes looking for a product there when you can tidy the stand properly so the customers can see what they easily and not get angry trying to find things amongst the odd things in the wrong place.
Reply 986
a zero hour contract is an awful thing to have if you want a life outside of waiting to work at this horrible store. it means you may not get any hours in the week but get randomly called in with only a few hours notice. it gives all the power to the boss e.g. he gives a ridiculous task for you to do and if you dont do it he wont give you work. he doesnt like you, he doesn't have to give you work. high turn over of staff in stores like this wont care about you they will just find someone else. the staff realise this and dont care about the store. its no wonder sports direct have previous customers moaning about bad and poor the customer service is on loads of other forums out there.

pound for pound karrimor trainers are the best on the market? just look around running forums they will tell you different as they have actually worn karrimor shoes and good quality shoes. who will you believe? consumers who have experienced different kinds of products or a shop selling there biggest money making assets.

i was told by my boss while i was on tills that i have made x amount of transactions and only sold 2-3 bags for life and he cannot give me any hours next week because of this, what a great way to motivate your staff, or a great way to make them cheat on bags for life or quit. yet i did as was asked of me and what i was :eek: "trained" to do and sell the bags saying with a smile they are great bags with plenty of uses and you cannot have enough of them.

the big bags are too darn big anyways its stupid filling them up as they too heavy to lift.
Reply 987
Original post by Future Knowledge
i arrived late at the interview, they told me to go away....what do i do now?

i feel like crying and killing someone....i have been looking for a job for ages and i am really desperate please help me

i was late because i have OCD but they wont undestand that.

id look somewhere else if you have OCD i doubt theyd accommodate for that. but no harm in trying i guess. the store sucks if you want a life though
Original post by Quins8
my new store manager is awful. he tells me i need to tidy shop floor mens section on not so busy days in 30-40 minutes? its a fairly big store i think... well there are 24 floor stands and 6 wall sections he even said it should take between 5 - 8 minutes on each stand. he isnt good at math if he thinks it can be done in 40 minutes then hmmm. when i work i want to get the job done right and tidy properly so the next staff member only needs to maintain the section rather than sorting out what product goes where. my boss seems to want our staff to either not tidy things properly but to make it look neat from a distance or to tidy things properly at a ridiculous speed. I've worked at the store long enough to know if you go too fast mistakes are made. why leave a stand half done when itll get very very untidy the next time a customer comes looking for a product there when you can tidy the stand properly so the customers can see what they easily and not get angry trying to find things amongst the odd things in the wrong place.

Which store are you at? Because I encounter the same problems at my store from my manager and the area manager

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 989
word of advice for anyone wanting to work at sports direct from someone who has worked there for a few years. if you are looking at the casual sales assistant position make sure you dont want to pay bills or own a car or go out with mates on holidays or rent a flat etc this job is for teenagers who are still at college and dont need to worry about grown up things like a steady income or earning more than 500 a month or paying for there own food etc. the work hours are erratic they change from week to week and you must stay at home when not working because if you want money you need to be waiting by the phone all the time incase they call you in with a few hours notice.
Reply 990
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Which store are you at? Because I encounter the same problems at my store from my manager and the area manager

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you know the area number of your store if so what is it? if its mine ill let you know
I believe the area number is 31 for my store

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 992
Original post by ohhello92x
If you have a shift that's under 5 hours, you don't get a break. If it's anything that's 6 or more hours then you get a break..

Posted from TSR Mobile

6 hour shift 30 mins break 8 hour shift 1 hour break
Reply 993
I believe the area number is 31 for my store

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah well thats not mine and if you cant delete what store number you said would be best for you just incase big bro is watching over us:eek:
Original post by Quins8
ah well thats not mine and if you cant delete what store number you said would be best for you just incase big bro is watching over us:eek:

Yeah I'm aware of Big Brother watching me as I sense it all the time but I'll do that later :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 995
i was tidying shop floor one day and the manager walked past me then i began tidying the next stand and had a customer come to me and ask for help finding a product which just so happened to be on the stand i was tidying when he walked past and he began to moan at me saying im obsessed with the stand and there are many more stands that need tidying and there is only 3 hours to do it all. the customer said to me is that the boss i said yeah he said he's a jobs worth lol i wish my manager would just leave me alone to do my job properly. I've worked at the store for a few years i know what im doing so leave me be and let me do my job. the trouble is the customers mess up the stand you just tidied when you on the next one so you cant do things properly until the store closes but by then the manager has been there all day and wants to go home
Reply 996
i was working on shoes one day and was asked by a customer for help on clothing i assumed they asked for help as the store hardly hires enough staff to help customers and tidy the store and i went to help them look for camping products and as i have been camping a few times i had a lot to try sell them and my shoe supervisor came over interrupted and said youre taking too long come back on shoes so had to leave the customer. so clearly the staff dont care much about our customers as they want them to buy our stuff but be quick about it even if it means you can sell a fair amount of gear.
Mine says it in big letters in the staff room so maybe you'll find some helpful info there? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok fair enough :smile:
Yeah I'll have a look the next time I have a shift :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quins8

I completely agree!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quins8
a zero hour contract is an awful thing to have if you want a life outside of waiting to work at this horrible store. it means you may not get any hours in the week but get randomly called in with only a few hours notice. it gives all the power to the boss e.g. he gives a ridiculous task for you to do and if you dont do it he wont give you work. he doesnt like you, he doesn't have to give you work. high turn over of staff in stores like this wont care about you they will just find someone else. the staff realise this and dont care about the store. its no wonder sports direct have previous customers moaning about bad and poor the customer service is on loads of other forums out there.

pound for pound karrimor trainers are the best on the market? just look around running forums they will tell you different as they have actually worn karrimor shoes and good quality shoes. who will you believe? consumers who have experienced different kinds of products or a shop selling there biggest money making assets.

i was told by my boss while i was on tills that i have made x amount of transactions and only sold 2-3 bags for life and he cannot give me any hours next week because of this, what a great way to motivate your staff, or a great way to make them cheat on bags for life or quit. yet i did as was asked of me and what i was :eek: "trained" to do and sell the bags saying with a smile they are great bags with plenty of uses and you cannot have enough of them.

the big bags are too darn big anyways its stupid filling them up as they too heavy to lift.

It is soo awful there
I just want to leave, but I need the money and I am trying to get another job
But yeah one time the assistant manager told me that if I didn't sell KPIs I wouldn't get any shifts at all :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending