The Student Room Group

Sports Direct

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MissLightyear
I had an induction but it was literally going through health and safety, getting to know the manager a bit and taking uniform sizes. id imagine if youve done a shift without one you wouldnt be getting one.

Its unlikely theres a mix up, youll be paid whatever it says on your contract

Last working day of the month is payday. The cut off date is the second suday of the month and you get a payslip that comes in on delivery around payday

You can get a 15% discount on a thursday on anything for yourself, you just have to give the cashier your payroll number. The 4 digit number is your password to sign onto a till if you get till trained

It really depends on your manager. Mine likes to move people around so theyre not always doing the same thing. Also depends on what other staff are in and what theyre trained on. The best way to get experience on everything is to speak to your manager and just say youre keen to have a go at other things, but without moaning and they should be impressed that youre keen

Yes you would

Theres really no point ringing the store, i know in mine the store phone hardly ever gets answered, youre better off just going in the store

Thank you, that helped clear up a lot. Will I be properly trained for tills when I get hours? Or do they give a brief explanation and expect you to get on with it?

The only other really strange thing here is the pay rate. I'm certain I was told at the interview I would be getting £4.20. I'm 17 too and not in a massive city like London, so it's a bit confusing. If I had to guess I would say they've made an error and they'll claim it back when they notice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by PeterOsgood9
Thank you, that helped clear up a lot. Will I be properly trained for tills when I get hours? Or do they give a brief explanation and expect you to get on with it?

The only other really strange thing here is the pay rate. I'm certain I was told at the interview I would be getting £4.20. I'm 17 too and not in a massive city like London, so it's a bit confusing. If I had to guess I would say they've made an error and they'll claim it back when they notice. I might just not say anything for now...

Brief explanation from management or very experienced CAST staff member but you learn from the other Tillys, as well as picking it up yourself.

Don't say anything and just see how it goes - its extra money after all. Although if they do say anything then say its in your contract and they legally have to pay you the money in your contract so...

EDIT: as for your other questions, MissLightyear has answered them pretty much spot on :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Brief explanation from management or very experienced CAST staff member but you learn from the other Tillys, as well as picking it up yourself.

Don't say anything and just see how it goes - its extra money after all. Although if they do say anything then say its in your contract and they legally have to pay you the money in your contract so...

EDIT: as for your other questions, MissLightyear has answered them pretty much spot on :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I was thinking. For £6.31 I'd be willing to hang and tag clothes 24/7 haha

edit - I was looking over the contract and they do claim that they can legally claim back any money paid by accident, but if I'm signing off a contract that in black and white is telling me that is what I'm entitled too then surely that must null their "accidental pay" point?
(edited 10 years ago)
That's what I was thinking. For £6.31 I'd be willing to hang and tag clothes 24/7 haha

I would t go that far, but being 18 and having worked there for 21 months I'd hope to be paid more than £4.98 - but it seems that's what all 18yo in my area/region are being paid. Maybe you're being paid a bit more due to working delivery shifts? I dunno

EDIT: I don't think so, as you're signing your consent to them claiming back any money mispaid which then makes it legal since it has your consent.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MalteseMalteser
I would t go that far, but being 18 and having worked there for 21 months I'd hope to be paid more than £4.98 - but it seems that's what all 18yo in my area/region are being paid. Maybe you're being paid a bit more due to working delivery shifts? I dunno

EDIT: I don't think so, as you're signing your consent to them claiming back any money mispaid which then makes it legal since it has your consent.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess all I can do is sign it and see what happens when I get my payslip. If I even stay that long. If I had any other options I'd have gone elsewhere.
I guess all I can do is sign it and see what happens when I get my payslip. If I even stay that long. If I had any other options I'd have gone elsewhere.

Yeah. I've been there 9 months&I want to leave!
As soon as I get accepted somewhere else I'm handing in my notice :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1186
First shift coming up, just wondering do they let you wear like a cardigan or whatever over the uniform top? Or like a black sleeved top under the uniform?

Or just the uniform top?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1187
Original post by 95pc1
First shift coming up, just wondering do they let you wear like a cardigan or whatever over the uniform top? Or like a black sleeved top under the uniform?

Or just the uniform top?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! When did you find out about your first shift and how? I had my interview, got the job, went to a little induction thing with other new employeers, sent off the contract and documents but still haven't heard from them yet? How long did yiu wait
Reply 1188
Original post by Neena
Hey! When did you find out about your first shift and how? I had my interview, got the job, went to a little induction thing with other new employeers, sent off the contract and documents but still haven't heard from them yet? How long did yiu wait

I had to phone them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Neena

same here! i've been waiting for nearly two weeks...
Original post by 95pc1
I had to phone them

Posted from TSR Mobile

what did you say?
Reply 1191
Original post by 95pc1
I had to phone them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did they tell you to phone them? And what did you say?
Reply 1192
Original post by ddaappoo
what did you say?

Lool same im also wondering! And who would you ask to talk to?
Original post by Neena
Lool same im also wondering! And who would you ask to talk to?

exactly. probably the manager but even then, it'll be a bit weird init...
Reply 1194
exactly. probably the manager but even then, it'll be a bit weird init...

Maybe we have to call in!? Hope we get a reply because I wouldn't know what to say lol
Original post by Neena
Maybe we have to call in!? Hope we get a reply because I wouldn't know what to say lol

yeah same :') i might just call tomorrow tbh it's becoming long
Reply 1196
yeah same :') i might just call tomorrow tbh it's becoming long

What would you say!? :O
Original post by Neena
What would you say!? :O

i'll give my name, then say 'WTF BRO IT'S BEEN A BLOODY FORTNIGHT. HIT ME UP, FFS STOP BEING A ****' something along those lines. i'll be cool.
Reply 1198
i'll give my name, then say 'WTF BRO IT'S BEEN A BLOODY FORTNIGHT. HIT ME UP, FFS STOP BEING A ****' something along those lines. i'll be cool.

Ahahahahah! Omg :') that would be hilarious! I would say something along the lines of 'bruv what you playin at?' Lool as theres a whole bunch of chavs working at my sd store aha
Original post by Neena
Ahahahahah! Omg :') that would be hilarious! I would say something along the lines of 'bruv what you playin at?' Lool as theres a whole bunch of chavs working at my sd store aha

hahaha where do you work?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending