The Student Room Group

Sports Direct

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adelelynch
I applied for the casual sales assistant online on Monday and got an email asking for an interview 5 days after. I booked my interview and now I just have to wait until the 27th of August arrives!

I've never had a job interview before so what questions will they ask and what things would they want to hear?

Hard working, reliable, flexibility, willing to do extra shifts if you're able to, friendly...

I've been working for them for 11months now, since september last year. I worked at a really small store a 20 mins drive away until they opened a massive one a 10 minute walk from my house in may!! I now get much better hours and loads of extra weekday shifts now that's it's the holidays! :biggrin: money money moneyyyyy

If you've any questions about working there just ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SoniaTwizere
Thank you! I'll give one in store but I'll also send one by post just incase! How is it working there? Oh and when you had an interview was it a group interview?

Oh I see, I had a feeling I should of have some out last week but I was so busy. Hopefully I'll be able to find one. Thank you so much for the information

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good idea!

How is working there? Depends on so many factors such as how many KPIs you can sell, how many friends you have, and what your managers/are manager is like.

Overall for me, I've been there 22 months now and it's been hard work but I'm well respected and most people love me. I have a love-hate relationship with my area manager but its not so bad. I hold a fair amount of power in my store which allows me to make things better and tell other people what to do. I like it, so long as I'm on a certain floor.

But people make things of it differently... I love it, but others in my store really dislike it and are looking for jobs elsewhere :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Good idea!

How is working there? Depends on so many factors such as how many KPIs you can sell, how many friends you have, and what your managers/are manager is like.

Overall for me, I've been there 22 months now and it's been hard work but I'm well respected and most people love me. I have a love-hate relationship with my area manager but its not so bad. I hold a fair amount of power in my store which allows me to make things better and tell other people what to do. I like it, so long as I'm on a certain floor.

But people make things of it differently... I love it, but others in my store really dislike it and are looking for jobs elsewhere :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thanks!!☺

Oh I see, you sound like a good person to work alongside! That is good that most people love you and the type of relationship you have with your manager. It's good to hear you like your job most people don't seem to these days.

I'm really happy to hear you like your job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really? I'm on the website now! Hopefully I get one. Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup that's how I got the interview :smile:
Your welcome :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paralove
Hard working, reliable, flexibility, willing to do extra shifts if you're able to, friendly...

I've been working for them for 11months now, since september last year. I worked at a really small store a 20 mins drive away until they opened a massive one a 10 minute walk from my house in may!! I now get much better hours and loads of extra weekday shifts now that's it's the holidays! :biggrin: money money moneyyyyy

If you've any questions about working there just ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll probably hop back onto this thread after my interview and ask a billion questions if I get the job! If I don't I guess I'll hand in my CV to JD and pray I get a job there for their Christmas staff!
Haha thanks!!☺

Oh I see, you sound like a good person to work alongside! That is good that most people love you and the type of relationship you have with your manager. It's good to hear you like your job most people don't seem to these days.

I'm really happy to hear you like your job

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of people think I'm good and effective to work alongside because of the things I do, and the relationship between my supervisors and me is much better than that between me and my manager. I like my job because I work with football boots and running shoes which is my area of expertise, and I can sell a lot of KPIs which the store likes. A lot of my co-workers can't sell them though and get too stressed by my managers and supervisors. But I like my job, even with the pressure....for the moment :smile: the moment I get moved to ground floor shoes though....

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of people think I'm good and effective to work alongside because of the things I do, and the relationship between my supervisors and me is much better than that between me and my manager. I like my job because I work with football boots and running shoes which is my area of expertise, and I can sell a lot of KPIs which the store likes. A lot of my co-workers can't sell them though and get too stressed by my managers and supervisors. But I like my job, even with the pressure....for the moment :smile: the moment I get moved to ground floor shoes though....

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good :biggrin:
I was upstairs on football boots a couple of weeks back, prefer working on football boots, part of the reason is it's more peaceful upstairs :redface: but my manager seems to prefer me working downstairs :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
That's good :biggrin:
I was upstairs on football boots a couple of weeks back, prefer working on football boots, part of the reason is it's more peaceful upstairs :redface: but my manager seems to prefer me working downstairs :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My manager loves me working downstairs on footie boots and running trainers, and I don't like working on ground floor shoes. They're dragging my best bud (a full-time worker) up to ground floor which he hates as well.

But I earned £3.50 today in commission so I'm a bit happier! :smile: Tomorrow will be hard though, can't see I being much of a good day

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really good! Shouldn't they offer you a promotion or something? Your attitude towards your work sounds really good! What happens if you can't sell them? I'd hate to be stressed out.. I'm glad you like your job.. It's good to hear and aww congratulations!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup that's how I got the interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww thanks again! C

Posted from TSR Mobile
My store scored 7.5/10 from the area manager :P
That's really good! Shouldn't they offer you a promotion or something? Your attitude towards your work sounds really good! What happens if you can't sell them? I'd hate to be stressed out.. I'm glad you like your job.. It's good to hear and aww congratulations!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They can only offer me a promotion to a full time role - which is pointless seeing as I'm off to uni this September. I've asked for a Patrice (as the pay is rubbish) but the area manager thinks my tables are rubbish (which was a one off, plus I was multitasking doing three things at once!) but hey oh no point in asking for one now...

Posted from TSR Mobile
They can only offer me a promotion to a full time role - which is pointless seeing as I'm off to uni this September. I've asked for a Patrice (as the pay is rubbish) but the area manager thinks my tables are rubbish (which was a one off, plus I was multitasking doing three things at once!) but hey oh no point in asking for one now...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see.. Hope you enjoy uni! Ahh they should be able to find you something but maybe you'll be able to find a job where your university is or at a student bar! Either way good luck!☺

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I see.. Hope you enjoy uni! Ahh they should be able to find you something but maybe you'll be able to find a job where your university is or at a student bar! Either way good luck!☺

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm hoping to get a job as a barman or someone who helps out at one of the uni taster days etc. but yeah thanks for the luck! :smile:
Can someone tell me what KPI is?

key performance indicators
things you must sell (depending on what department you work) to ensure you work more hours and possibly get commission.

Key performance indicator.

Basically add on sales but theyre used to compare individual performance and store performance.

The current KPIs are puma socks, insoles, karrimor running shoes/socks, sondico socks, bags for life and the one week offer items
My manager loves me working downstairs on footie boots and running trainers, and I don't like working on ground floor shoes. They're dragging my best bud (a full-time worker) up to ground floor which he hates as well.

But I earned £3.50 today in commission so I'm a bit happier! :smile: Tomorrow will be hard though, can't see I being much of a good day

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough :smile:
Aww bless :redface:
Oh that's good :biggrin:! So far this month I think I've earned about 5.00 on commission, not 100% sure, but I've done more puma socks than karrimor shoes, insoles and heel cups. Plus for the past week or two I've been on tills :redface:! Aww bless, you never know you might do well on KPIs :redface:
Aww thanks again! C

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough :smile:
Aww bless :redface:
Oh that's good :biggrin:! So far this month I think I've earned about 5.00 on commission, not 100% sure, but I've done more puma socks than karrimor shoes, insoles and heel cups. Plus for the past week or two I've been on tills :redface:! Aww bless, you never know you might do well on KPIs :redface:

I've done two Karrimors this week, an insole and a heelcup at least. Its difficult selling insoles with footie boots although I did sell a rugby boot with a heelcup and an insole today :L it's not so much the KPIs im worried about, more worried about our new footwear manager and the fact that the area manager will also be in :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending