The Student Room Group

Sports Direct

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by Tai Ga
I've heard sports direct isn't a particularly nice company to work for.

How true is this statement?

That's a statement I hear all to much nowadays.

It's normally told by people who have had their hours cut, mainly because they (possibly) aren't as good as some other people in the store

I started in march, and I've been completely happy - literally they have been begging me to take up more hours, but I'm at a large store, so shifts are often covered and there are lots of hours to go around

However it must be argued that some competent people aren't treated too well at smaller stores sometimes due to lack of available hours and poor management

So overall I would say that it's all about if you're lucky enough to work at a decent store with good management

Of course you're more likely to hear negative comments since people wanting to vent their anger will post on forums more so than people who are happy with their job :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Question, is anyone else's store making you use whistles to call extra people onto tills? Or is it just mine...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1582
Original post by Paralove
Question, is anyone else's store making you use whistles to call extra people onto tills? Or is it just mine...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't use whistles myself since I work on shoes, but the till staff must do so

I believe it's one of the new policies being implemented; it just gives fast and easy communication between till staff to reduce queues during these busy periods (i.e: back to school)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
I don't use whistles myself since I work on shoes, but the till staff must do so

I believe it's one of the new policies being implemented; it just gives fast and easy communication between till staff to reduce queues during these busy periods (i.e: back to school)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meh, I hate it. Not only is it unhygienic, it's also pretty rude and horrible for the customer who's face you're loudly blowing the whistle into. Radio's are just so much easier?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1584
Meh, I hate it. Not only is it unhygienic, it's also pretty rude and horrible for the customer who's face you're loudly blowing the whistle into. Radio's are just so much easier?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, especially on the hygiene side
All till staff should be given their own whistle as part of their uniform

I know, however they're trying to reduce to use of radios for "unnecessary" things - i.e: why talk on a radio when a simple (but loud) whistle can instantly transmit what you wanted to say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree, especially on the hygiene side
All till staff should be given their own whistle as part of their uniform

I know, however they're trying to reduce to use of radios for "unnecessary" things - i.e: why talk on a radio when a simple (but loud) whistle can instantly transmit what you wanted to say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even so, when it's busy, it can be difficult to hear over the music, air con and general sounds if you aren't close enough or go out back for something or a drink.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1586
Even so, when it's busy, it can be difficult to hear over the music, air con and general sounds if you aren't close enough or go out back for something or a drink.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True I guess, they make the music much louder than they should

Tbh, they could just get rid of whistles in a few months, so I wouldn't get too attached :P

Do a few people also have to wear reflective vest things too at your store?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh, they could just get rid of whistles in a few months, so I wouldn't get too attached :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaaa no why? Who does at yours?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1588
Hahaaa no why? Who does at yours?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have this thing called "queue buster"
One of the till/clothing staff needs to go to the tills and direct customers to available queues to help increase efficiency
And for the shoe staff, if it's busy, one person must take shoes to be purchased to the tills, and allocate seating areas for customers, keep the fitting areas clean, etc...

This might just be for larger stores like mine though for when it gets ultra busy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1589
I always make some of the newer staff wear the "vest of shame" if they do anything wrong
A bit of banter :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Our store isn't quite as busy as it is on a saturday though, more like a Sunday most days for me :tongue: Regional management turned round and said that because it was so busy, that managers could fill up their rotas with as many hours as they wanted - they didn't foresee that maybe we might not be able to cover it all, and so they started to cut shifts. It meant that I went from working a 7 day week to not working all day Wednesday and Thursday morning. Still, got 26 hours of work Friday-Sunday.

above 50% sondico socks for the 4th day in a row though! 18 already sold this week by me and this girl I fancy in this little competition of ours. Even the area manager was impressed when he saw it :redface:

Ah ok Monday at my store was quiet :redface:
I think over the holidays I've been doing 25+ hours per week :biggrin: :redface:
Oh well done :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eurgh at my store there's the vest and the whistle..:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1592
Original post by ohhello92x
Eurgh at my store there's the vest and the whistle..:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which store is that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
We have this thing called "queue buster"
One of the till/clothing staff needs to go to the tills and direct customers to available queues to help increase efficiency
And for the shoe staff, if it's busy, one person must take shoes to be purchased to the tills, and allocate seating areas for customers, keep the fitting areas clean, etc...

This might just be for larger stores like mine though for when it gets ultra busy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ours is fairly big, at least 12,000 sq ft, though not as big as two-floor ones (we're one floor!). But we definitely do not have the vest! Though our manager or senior staff will come and organise the queue if necessary but it's rarely, only seen them do it 2-3 times in 3 months!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which store is that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's one of the stores in Buckinghamshire!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ours is fairly big, at least 12,000 sq ft, though not as big as two-floor ones (we're one floor!). But we definitely do not have the vest! Though our manager or senior staff will come and organise the queue if necessary but it's rarely, only seen them do it 2-3 times in 3 months!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine used to be one floor, then the store got refurbished last year so now it's two floors :biggrin: :redface:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
Mine used to be one floor, then the store got refurbished last year so now it's two floors :biggrin: :redface:!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ours is part of new units in our shopping centre, so we have M&S, Costa and soon-to-be Peacocks underneath us, while we take up almost all of the top floor!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1597
Mine is 3 floors!
Muahahahaaaa :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1598
We also might be moving soon to a place that will potentially give us 5 floors
Oh god....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ours is part of new units in our shopping centre, so we have M&S, Costa and soon-to-be Peacocks underneath us, while we take up almost all of the top floor!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending