The Student Room Group

Questions for people who have or have had panic attack(s)

How many have you had in your life so far?
When was the first one? What age? Did something trigger it or was it random?
Are they usually triggered by something in the moment or do you randomly get them?
Can you describe the sensation (as accurately and realistically as possible)?
Did you know what happened to you the first time you experienced one?
How did you know what you were experiencing were panic attacks?

I know some of you might think I am being peculiar, but I am thinking of getting professional help soon, but I just wanted to talk to others before that and learn a little bit about others' experiences with this.
Reply 1
Too many to count tbh. I was really young and it was because of abuse, I was told I was going to die and some other stuff happened. So yeah. Usually mine are from triggers but sometimes they can be "random" (but then I usually figure out what caused them, which makes them no longer random). I have severe complex PTSD and generalised anxiety disorder for context (as well as some other MH issues and physical issues as well).

For me I go completely numb and I have a tendency towards holding my breath rather than hyperventilating (my psychologist said it's likely because as a kid I figured if I pretended to be dead whatever was going on would stop quicker?? I dunno). I feel disconnected from my body and tend to view things from above myself (dissociation). I feel like I'm gonna die. My heart loses its mind, which isn't great because I already have separate heart issues. I'm very hypervigilant, much more than my normal. If I'm able to get away I'm also liable to run, which again isn't great because I usually injure myself due to my disability. Honestly it sort of depends on what the situation is too though.

I'm not sure when I became aware that they were panic attacks tbh.

Get help if you can, no point suffering in silence.
It’s horrible but once you understand your triggers (at least in my case), you can avoid the situation. I haven’t had many, but I’ll try to answer for you :smile:

It was months ago, 18. A lot of realisations has happened to me so fast all at once so my anxiety was completely through the roof. I was on the bus, actually, and a man sat next to me and started eating Greggs. Normal, right? But I habe problems with food, and it set me off. I was trying so hard not to panic (I knew what was happening to me because of friends) but I could just smell it and I freaked out. I managed to hold it till my stop, but I was pretty much crying and breathing heavily at that point. I’m glad no one came up to me though.

Are they usually triggered by something in the moment or do you randomly get them?
Always triggered by something. I was actually watching a movie and the sound was so jarring to me. I know it was a movie but the sound made me feel like something was going to happen to me in real life. Even after I muted it I was still panicking lol.

First I get anxious. My brain gets really loud and I start overthinking. Then my heart beat starts beating so loud I can’t bare it. By then I try to control it but if I don’t, my breathing, I feel as if I can’t control it. When I get frustrated I cry, so I’ll start crying. I’ll get very dizzy and faint too. By that point, I can only calm down by a walk and fresh air.

I kind of answered this but yes because of friends experience. I also saw a show where a panic attack was being reanacted and I just knew what to look out for.

Mine do not happen randomly, they are triggered, often by smells, sounds, and situations (like a busy room). I don’t have heart or breathing problems normally so I knew my brain was just freaking out.

I haven’t gotten professional help. I know I should. I have problems and trauma that need to be sorted out but idk I just can’t. So I’m trying to just help myself in the meantime and I know what to avoid. Certain food smells set me off and if it’s on a bus, or in school during lunch, I move and calm myself down. You just get better at it once you know what’s going on :smile:
Good luck with your MH journey. I hope this helps and feel free to ask questions.
Reply 3
You both to seem to have it so much worse than me, which is why I think it's a little silly for me to go to the GP about mine.

The first time I had mine, I never saw it coming. I know you are not supposed to. It just...it was so very random.... I was leaving the house for school in the morning and this time of the day was very stressful for me, my dad used to stress about me being late and the school would close the gate literally right in your face, even if you were a few seconds late (happened to me once, I am not joking).

I was walking fast and out of nowhere, no sensations before this moment to prepare me or even alert me that I was going to have a panic attack (i don't know why I feel like there should be a build-up, I just...it was too sudden). All of a sudden, I can't breathe and all I am thinking is "what is happening?" and I was so practical about it, I just thought "oh I can't breathe, that is all", so I was literally gasping out loud in the middle of the road. My voice sounded so much deeper to my ears. In the end, somehow I managed it. Managed to breathe, but I remember thinking for just a very tiny moment that I was going to die and I was scared and I had tears in my eyes, but I don't know if fear triggered them or lack of breath.

I told an older family member about this and she didn't say much, not much at all. I didn't know what it was, I thought I just forgot to breathe.

Second time I had it was in the morning of an important deadline (around a year later), I fainted in the bathroom. I was so incredibly stressed so I am now thinking....stress is my trigger. This time, I got out of bed too fast, with only the thoughts about this deadline in my head. And I panicked. I ran downstairs, showered, when I was about to leave the bathroom, I remember feeling just so sick and then I just fainted.

These two were the most intense. I don't know, I feel like the reason why I made this thread is because I needed to hear about exactly what panic attacks are. When I hear people say "I have anxiety/panic attacks" I assume they have quite a few and regularly so it makes me think I can't label mine as panic attacks because I don't have them as much...it then makes me not want to go to the GP because I don't think mine are severe but then at the same time, I am recognising I have anxiety issues and I need professional help lol
Original post by Anonymous

I know some of you might think I am being peculiar, but I am thinking of getting professional help soon, but I just wanted to talk to others before that and learn a little bit about others' experiences with this.

No idea how many I've had, lots.
I was 7 when I had my first one. Woke up sweating and panicking, my heart was racing, and I was screaming out and trying to run away (my mum came and held me when she heard me crying - apparently this part started before I woke up). She was just repeatedly telling me where I was, and that I was okay, and I eventually calmed down. I was okay for a few more years, but then it became a regular thing. Think it must have been triggered by a bad dream, though I don't remember the dream.
These days they're not often triggered, but sometimes just by overly negative thinking, as I get myself into a spiral, which usually ends with me genuinely thinking either myself or my partner is going to die.
It just feels overwhelming for me, I can't seem to take a deep enough breath, which panics me, my heart races, I get really hot, I just get the urge to "run", but I don't know where the hell to (I can't escape my own head, after all). Worst for me is that I start to associate certain things with panic attacks - one was my ex boyfriend's bedroom, and I ended up moving out because I said the room was causing the panic attacks. It really wasn't.
I had no idea what happened the first time, as I was only 7. The first I can remember understanding was when I was on a train. I actually ended up passing out.
I "know" because I've actually studied them (I'm a psych grad) so I can spot all the signs .. but sadly can't stop them within myself!
You both to seem to have it so much worse than me, which is why I think it's a little silly for me to go to the GP about mine.

The first time I had mine, I never saw it coming. I know you are not supposed to. It just...it was so very random.... I was leaving the house for school in the morning and this time of the day was very stressful for me, my dad used to stress about me being late and the school would close the gate literally right in your face, even if you were a few seconds late (happened to me once, I am not joking).

I was walking fast and out of nowhere, no sensations before this moment to prepare me or even alert me that I was going to have a panic attack (i don't know why I feel like there should be a build-up, I just...it was too sudden). All of a sudden, I can't breathe and all I am thinking is "what is happening?" and I was so practical about it, I just thought "oh I can't breathe, that is all", so I was literally gasping out loud in the middle of the road. My voice sounded so much deeper to my ears. In the end, somehow I managed it. Managed to breathe, but I remember thinking for just a very tiny moment that I was going to die and I was scared and I had tears in my eyes, but I don't know if fear triggered them or lack of breath.

I told an older family member about this and she didn't say much, not much at all. I didn't know what it was, I thought I just forgot to breathe.

Second time I had it was in the morning of an important deadline (around a year later), I fainted in the bathroom. I was so incredibly stressed so I am now thinking....stress is my trigger. This time, I got out of bed too fast, with only the thoughts about this deadline in my head. And I panicked. I ran downstairs, showered, when I was about to leave the bathroom, I remember feeling just so sick and then I just fainted.

These two were the most intense. I don't know, I feel like the reason why I made this thread is because I needed to hear about exactly what panic attacks are. When I hear people say "I have anxiety/panic attacks" I assume they have quite a few and regularly so it makes me think I can't label mine as panic attacks because I don't have them as much...it then makes me not want to go to the GP because I don't think mine are severe but then at the same time, I am recognising I have anxiety issues and I need professional help lol

Do not think your problems aren’t valid. There’s no competition here. You’ve realised you’ve had a problem, which is amazing. I’m the biggest denier so you even suggesting to go to the GP is amazing to me.
If you think stress is your trigger, it’s a good idea to seek a medical professional so you can manage it so you can avoid having an attack again.
Attacks are more than just ‘breathing heavy’ or ‘freaking out’. Some people have silent panic attacks, some faint (like you do). In reality it’s a rush of emotions that the body is responding to physically that can be hard to describe.
I hope you can figure it all out soon. Wishing you the best :smile:
Too many to count. I have them everyday for 10 years.

When was the first one? What age?
When I was 10.
Did something trigger it or was it random?
Don’t remember. But I had a harsh childhood so that probably brought it on.
Sometimes it can happen for no reason. Just recently (1 month) it comes without cause. But usually it’s because of hurtful things people say to me.
Imagine someone holding a gun to you and counting down from down and you’re in so much fear because you know the situation will progress and you will die or be seriously injured. Just imagine how nervous you’d feel. It’s this sharp chest pain that lasts for hours. One time it lasted continuously for one year. Shortness of breath. And I feel disabled and not in control if my body.
No. For 9 years, I thought I was just an extremely offended person and I couldn’t quite explain it. So I never told anyone. Until I started seeing people talk about it in 2019 and I was like “wow that’s exactly how I feel” and find out it was panic disorder.

Doctor diagnosed me and twitter helped me know what it was. And that millions of people deal with it. I thought I was the only one.
I’m actually having a panic attack right now😂
Too many to count. I have them everyday for 10 years.

When was the first one? What age?
When I was 10.
Did something trigger it or was it random?
Don’t remember. But I had a harsh childhood so that probably brought it on.
Sometimes it can happen for no reason. Just recently (1 month) it comes without cause. But usually it’s because of hurtful things people say to me.
Imagine someone holding a gun to you and counting down from down and you’re in so much fear because you know the situation will progress and you will die or be seriously injured. Just imagine how nervous you’d feel. It’s this sharp chest pain that lasts for hours. One time it lasted continuously for one year. Shortness of breath. And I feel disabled and not in control if my body.
No. For 9 years, I thought I was just an extremely offended person and I couldn’t quite explain it. So I never told anyone. Until I started seeing people talk about it in 2019 and I was like “wow that’s exactly how I feel” and find out it was panic disorder.

Doctor diagnosed me and twitter helped me know what it was. And that millions of people deal with it. I thought I was the only one.
I’m actually having a panic attack right now😂

Counting down from 10* sorry. Stupid panic attack impacts everything even makes me miss out on errors

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending