The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

boohooo .... st john's not even mentioned....
Reply 21
huangcjz

Like you say in your sig, GCSE's are pretty easy as long as you put the work in, as is AS. A2 is when it steps up in difficulty and workload, I'm lucky my AS's were good as it gives me a cushion to get my offer. How are you finding the IB?

IB? Some bits are enjoyable and thus easy to do well in, other bits desperately hard. I find myself very stretched academically- I am no scientist but have to do sciences, and as for being a mathematician...oh dear. Even the languages are quite tough, but most of the time its a pretty inspiring challenge.
Reply 22
Churchill 6th! Phwoar!!
Reply 23
n1r4v
Oh not you again :p:

Woo Caius are slightly higher than last year...

slightly?? 10th to 4th is a big jump!!
Reply 24
Chewwy

Haha, fair enough...

I did have a nice fuzzy warm feeling inside when I saw them 2nd between 2005-6. I'm hoping to see that soon, even if I don't get in! :smile:
Clare back up a bit :smile:
Tit Hall always so consistent in the mid-range~~~~sigh.
Leprechaun
Tit Hall always so consistent in the mid-range~~~~sigh.

u at tit hall?
Comp_Genius
u at tit hall?

:yep:
Reply 29
Well the Sidney NatSci finalists this year did nowhere near as well as last year's lot so no wonder we've dropped a bit given the proportion of the year we make up. Oh well.
Chewwy

Mmm. Yeah. Not bad. We were fourth last year. :smile:
Reply 31
Go Caius!! :biggrin:
Reply 32
I am proud that my college has managed to rise up the rankings on this dubious and poorly constructed statistic. :wink:

P.S. Vazzyb, that is officially the most useful signature ever.
Reply 33
Leprechaun
:yep:

not quite yet.
huangcjz
It's not all about the grades - I'm not really liking my offer either, Cambridge say standard offer is 3A's but quite a few people get higher offers I think, I'm concerned about getting the A's in Physics and Maths cos I find them hard. Oh well, I can't complain since I'm lucky enough to get an offer! Just 2 weeks to wait til results!

I think it was the interviews - the first one at Emma on drug action went really well I thought, gave me confidence, but the second one (on global warming and genetics) went really badly, they asked me about PCR and I'd heard of it (hadn't done it at school then but have since) but my mind went blank so tried to blag it and blurted out some rubbish. I read up on PCR afterwards and know it pretty well now! Luckily I got pooled, the first Selwyn interview was general with Dr. Keeler, we ended up talking about cases in English and German and how languages evolve over time! As well as some science, like carbon capture and storage. I've heard he's very good, just ordered the book he's written called Why Chemical Reactions Happen. Second interview was genetics again, on the structure of DNA and replication and allele frequencies etc. So basically, one interview went well and other (both Biology ones, even though I like Biology! Damn genetics!) badly both times I think.

Like you say in your sig, GCSE's are pretty easy as long as you put the work in, as is AS. A2 is when it steps up in difficulty and workload, I'm lucky my AS's were good as it gives me a cushion to get my offer. How are you finding the IB?

Wow, a conversation with Dr. Keeler about linguistics would be... interesting.
Reply 35
Supergrunch

wouldn't you love that though? :p: I mean, linguistics!
mwiko
wouldn't you love that though? :p: I mean, linguistics!

Well, yeah, but this guy was my chemistry lecturer, with a self confessed farmer accent. :wink:
Reply 37
bazzasballs
...I really want to know who's last place...

Homerton, with Peterhouse above according to wiki. Not counting grad/mature.
Reply 38
Supergrunch

Yeah it was, he asked me "do you think there are cases in English like there are in German?" and I didn't have a clue so I tried to blag it and hope he didn't know much more about it than I did! yeah, linguistics is interesting and he seemed like a really nice guy, I'm guessing if I do first year Chemistry (which I probs will) he'll be the DoS/one of the lecturers? What's he/first year Chem like btw? I'm not too keen on Maths, I know you have to have full A-level Maths to do Chem in second year.
huangcjz
Yeah it was, he asked me "do you think there are cases in English like there are in German?" and I didn't have a clue so I tried to blag it and hope he didn't know much more about it than I did! yeah, linguistics is interesting and he seemed like a really nice guy, I'm guessing if I do first year Chemistry (which I probs will) he'll be the DoS/one of the lecturers? What's he/first year Chem like btw? I'm not too keen on Maths, I know you have to have full A-level Maths to do Chem in second year.

He'll almost definitely be your DoS, and if it's anything like last year he'll give you a series of lectures on thermodynamics in lent term... he's a good lecturer, I imagine he'd also be a good DoS. I quite liked first year chemistry, though you need to make sure you understand the basics all the way through or it's easy to get lost. There's not that much maths - in fact, the most is in Dr. Keeler's lectures, but it's still fairly straightforward.

In answer to your linguistics question: both English and German are Germanic, so they're pretty similar in terms of things like cases.

Latest

Trending

Trending