The Student Room Group

Third year abroad

I'm a year 13 planning to study German and Japanese at university and am looking forward to my year abroad, although it's a long way off yet. This is just a very broad ask to ask about your experiences, both negative and positive, concerning your own year abroad. Specifically, I'd like to hear about what your job was like or what your experience studying at a foreign university was like (how stressful/ fun etc.). Any other anecdotes about your experiences are welcome!
OMG studying abroad is the best decision I have ever made!!! I studied in Italy for 6 months, and I absolutely loved it. I will admit I was stressed because of home sickness and trying to make new friends, but everyone was so friendly to me and helped me learn so many new Italian words. it was very difficult to get settled at first and I was worried people would look down at me for some reason or not want to talk to me but they thought it was great having someone from England 😂 How did you come across the opportunity?
Original post by OzzMorris
OMG studying abroad is the best decision I have ever made!!! I studied in Italy for 6 months, and I absolutely loved it. I will admit I was stressed because of home sickness and trying to make new friends, but everyone was so friendly to me and helped me learn so many new Italian words. it was very difficult to get settled at first and I was worried people would look down at me for some reason or not want to talk to me but they thought it was great having someone from England 😂 How did you come across the opportunity?

Thank you for your reply I'm glad you had a great time! The year abroad is obligatory for the university course I will be taking. I will either do a work placement or study at a university and I will be assessed for it afterwards. It's a couple years away but I still wanted a better idea of what it will be like.
Original post by Marcelleknox
Thank you for your reply I'm glad you had a great time! The year abroad is obligatory for the university course I will be taking. I will either do a work placement or study at a university and I will be assessed for it afterwards. It's a couple years away but I still wanted a better idea of what it will be like.

Oh wow that's a great opportunity I hope you have an amazing time in which ever you do!
Reply 4
I'm a year 13 planning to study German and Japanese at university and am looking forward to my year abroad, although it's a long way off yet. This is just a very broad ask to ask about your experiences, both negative and positive, concerning your own year abroad. Specifically, I'd like to hear about what your job was like or what your experience studying at a foreign university was like (how stressful/ fun etc.). Any other anecdotes about your experiences are welcome!

I spent my year abroad as an English language assistant in a secondary school. Having to explain stuff to German teenagers certainly helped my understanding of the English language as well as improved my German! One problem being, so many people twigged that English was my 1st language and INSISTED on talking to me in English - even when I got annoyed and kept asking how on earth was I supposed to learn German when everyone spoke to me in English?? (Apart from the school headmaster. He never spoke a word of English to me, carried on half in dialect, and it took me half the year to find out he actually speaks fluent English and fluent Russian!). The homesickness was the toughest bit, but throwing myself into work and finding a wind band to go to helped :smile:
Original post by Emily_B
I spent my year abroad as an English language assistant in a secondary school. Having to explain stuff to German teenagers certainly helped my understanding of the English language as well as improved my German! One problem being, so many people twigged that English was my 1st language and INSISTED on talking to me in English - even when I got annoyed and kept asking how on earth was I supposed to learn German when everyone spoke to me in English?? (Apart from the school headmaster. He never spoke a word of English to me, carried on half in dialect, and it took me half the year to find out he actually speaks fluent English and fluent Russian!). The homesickness was the toughest bit, but throwing myself into work and finding a wind band to go to helped :smile:

Wow sounds like an amazing time. It is always annoying when everyone just wants to talk English with you.

I spent my second year abroad in China studying an intensive language course. Was tough at times but I loved it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending