The Student Room Group
Original post by 1st superstar
which do you believe are harder and why? also do you think that a D* should hold the same value as an A* and that BTECs should be accepted more widely in university courses especially in RG unis? share you thoughs

Fruitless discussion.
Do the ones that you can perform best in and get you into the uni of your choice.

Some people are better at exams than coursework.
If you made me choose then top unis consider certain A levels as being more academically testing than BTEC. medicine and top unis being examples. Pointless discussion imo, choose whats best for you and dont be an qualification snob.
Reply 2
It completely depends on the person.

I did A-levels and did well because I'm decent at exams. If I had done a BTEC I probably would have flopped as I hate coursework and practical things.
I think it depends on the person. Some people are better at exams, others coursework.
The idea that BTECs aren't academically rigorous is untrue, in my opinion. I did BTEC Music, and for each unit I had a log book to fill in weekly, at least one essay (sometimes two) and a performance of at LEAST 3 pieces, though sometimes more. The one exception was the music business unit, which was 3 essays and a presentation.
I also did a-level music though, which actually commanded less from me than the BTEC. An exam, which covered 3-4 topics, depending how you look at it, 2 compositions with a log, and a performance, but no programme notes or anything were needed for the a-level, I just played then left. The reason the a-level was challenging wasn't because it was 'harder' it's that it has everything at the end. If it was more spread out like the BTEC, I think I would have done better, because I actually preferred the a-level content. I got a Distinction in the BTEC and a B in the a-level.
I don't think there's anything wrong with doing BTECs, and I think they should be available in more subjects, like history and other humanities. I think the high content of coursework probably actually prepares better for uni in humanities and arts subjects. I know the unis I want to go to have mostly coursework assessment, with less exams.
Hard to say really, while some people my excel in exams they may really struggle with the more practical assessments of BTEC and vice versa.

So while I struggle with exams I can do a month of lambing with no real issues whereas that would be hell for other people.
Original post by remussjhj01
I think it depends on the person. Some people are better at exams, others coursework.
The idea that BTECs aren't academically rigorous is untrue, in my opinion. I did BTEC Music, and for each unit I had a log book to fill in weekly, at least one essay (sometimes two) and a performance of at LEAST 3 pieces, though sometimes more. The one exception was the music business unit, which was 3 essays and a presentation.
I also did a-level music though, which actually commanded less from me than the BTEC. An exam, which covered 3-4 topics, depending how you look at it, 2 compositions with a log, and a performance, but no programme notes or anything were needed for the a-level, I just played then left. The reason the a-level was challenging wasn't because it was 'harder' it's that it has everything at the end. If it was more spread out like the BTEC, I think I would have done better, because I actually preferred the a-level content. I got a Distinction in the BTEC and a B in the a-level.
I don't think there's anything wrong with doing BTECs, and I think they should be available in more subjects, like history and other humanities. I think the high content of coursework probably actually prepares better for uni in humanities and arts subjects. I know the unis I want to go to have mostly coursework assessment, with less exams.

Agreed
Original post by 999tigger
Fruitless discussion.
Do the ones that you can perform best in and get you into the uni of your choice.

Some people are better at exams than coursework.
If you made me choose then top unis consider certain A levels as being more academically testing than BTEC. medicine and top unis being examples. Pointless discussion imo, choose whats best for you and dont be an qualification snob.

Already doing A-levels and I hate practical stuff! Just wanted to hear the opinions of others.
Personally I think they should be equally weighted. I don't really get why people think having all your exams at once is necessarily harder than having a lot more spread assessment?
Original post by vicvic38
Personally I think they should be equally weighted. I don't really get why people think having all your exams at once is necessarily harder than having a lot more spread assessment?

More memorisation needed, your tested on all of the content in one go etc so some might view this as "more stressful"
More memorisation needed, your tested on all of the content in one go etc so some might view this as "more stressful"

It is pointless memorisation. In the real working world you have access to everything you need to do the best job you can, why take that away?
Original post by DiddyDec
It is pointless memorisation. In the real working world you have access to everything you need to do the best job you can, why take that away?

Exactly the new linear a-levels are unrealistic IMO and only prepare you for Uni we need to go back to having modular A-levels (but with less-no coursework)
Exactly the new linear a-levels are unrealistic IMO and only prepare you for Uni we need to go back to having modular A-levels (but with less-no coursework)

I must say I don't keep abreast of modern education systems, certainly not one that I never did.

Essay writing and coursework actually do prepare you for the modern working world. I had to write a report last week to my client which ended up being 8,000 words over 21 pages. That is an extreme example but writing relatively long pieces is needed in many professional services.
Original post by DiddyDec
I must say I don't keep abreast of modern education systems, certainly not one that I never did.

Essay writing and coursework actually do prepare you for the modern working world. I had to write a report last week to my client which ended up being 8,000 words over 21 pages. That is an extreme example but writing relatively long pieces is needed in many professional services.

True

They don’t even prepare for most university courses. Degrees have a lot of coursework generally and the vast majority are studied and marked in modules.
Original post by PQ
They don’t even prepare for most university courses. Degrees have a lot of coursework generally and the vast majority are studied and marked in modules.

Then oh dear screw A-levels
Then oh dear screw A-levels

yes please.

can anyone get into oxford with just btec subjects?
Original post by sudowri
yes please.

can anyone get into oxford with just btec subjects?

Have you looked at the oxford website for their entry requirements?

Latest

Trending

Trending