The Student Room Group

can i still do my a levels if i did not get my ideal gcse grades?

Hello everyone, i just wanted to ask if i could still do my a levels and negotiate with the school, I got a grade 7 in English lit, and its my best subject however i got mainly 4's in the rest (except maths) and for English lang I had to appeal i am one mark off of a 4, (i was predicted an 8) is there any possible way which i can negotiate with my school? because they want 5 4's to do a mix of btec and a levels, which has to include English language, which is why they wont allow me to do literature. But I have to do it for my career and uni course any tips?? I really don't want to do all btec, which none of the subject ill be happy with. Also I'm not sure how long my appeal is going to take as well any tips anyone? should i wait for my appeal and talk to them or should i just speak to them (I have emailed them beforehand).
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by fateful-quay
Hello everyone, i just wanted to ask if i could still do my a levels and negotiate with the school, I got a grade 7 in English lit, and its my best subject however i got mainly 4's in the rest (except maths) and for English lang I had to appeal i am one mark off of a 4, (i was predicted an 8) is there any possible way which i can negotiate with my school? because they want 5 4's to do a mix of btec and a levels, which has to include English language, which is why they wont allow me to do literature. But I have to do it for my career and uni course any tips?? I really don't want to do all btec, which none of the subject ill be happy with. Also I'm not sure how long my appeal is going to take as well any tips anyone? should i wait for my appeal and talk to them or should i just speak to them (I have emailed them beforehand).

Are you not able to enrol on the A-Level English Lit course alongside possibly retaking English Language GCSE in November if the appeal doesn't increase your grade?

If you are open to studying at another sixth form/college I would definitely contact others to see if they will allow you to do the course you want to do. My college allowed people who were at a grade 3 in English or Maths to resit while still doing their A-Levels.
Reply 2

You can say you are appealing but it is up to them at the end of the day.What do you think happened in your exams to cause you not to get the result you were expecting?What did you get in Maths.Lots of unis will look for a 5 at least in Maths.
Reply 3
Nope, the problem is that I need 5 4's and English language has to be since I don't have the maths grade to be able to do an a level. Also about the college, I tried looking into others but they aren't as lenient. I believe definitely my appeal will come back as a 5/6 because I'm one mark off of a 4. But I'm not sure I was thinking I should wait but I'm just scared and I don't know how to negotiate with my sixth form.
Reply 4
Yep I told them I was appealing I think that's definitely one of the main reasons I got in, but I think it was a very cruel marking, most people around me were extremely shocked, so I'm hoping it comes back as a 5 tbh. Also I got a 3 in maths, 5 marks off a 4, but I'm re sitting.
Reply 5
I understand, what courses alongside English Lit were you thinking of doing?

Did they say they would allow you to do the course even with your Maths retake if the appeal does increase your English Lang grade?
Reply 6
honestly I don't really mind as long as I do literature, like I'm thinking applied science double or something. Nope they didn't, because I didn't want to push it much but I emailed them now and it says on the website 5 4's so my english would allow me to do a mix of English lit and btecs. Do you honestly believe I would be allowed to do the course or should i think about doing something else? Is a 7 realistically enough for it? Also would you know how long the appeal process roughly takes?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7
honestly I don't really mind as long as I do literature, like I'm thinking applied science double or something. Nope they didn't, because I didn't want to push it much but I emailed them now and it says on the website 5 4's so my english would allow me to do a mix of English lit and btecs. Do you honestly believe I would be allowed to do the course or should i think about doing something else? Is a 7 realistically enough for it? Also would you know how long the appeal process roughly takes?

I've never appealed before so I wouldn't know, I'm sure the exam board's website contains information about how long it should roughly take.

If you are enthusiastic about the subject, I would totally go for it. A-Levels are harder than GCSEs but if it is in a subject you enjoy, you will be able to succeed.

If you are thinking about university and want to go into something English Literature related, as long as you do English Lit you will be fine. The btec you choose won't matter but you should also do something that you will be happy studying for 2 years as you will be made an offer including all your subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest