The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
basically the answer is possibly. You will still have to phone up on the day and ask to confirm, although as long as your weakest subject isnt the one your doing your degree in, you should be fine.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
I got offered AAB for Psychology studying Media, Photography and Psychology A Levels.

I'm set to get an A* for Photography at A2, would this balance out possibly two Bs? (I.E. A*BB)

I'm so nervous :frown:
Reply 42
homebythefence
I got offered AAB for Psychology studying Media, Photography and Psychology A Levels.

I'm set to get an A* for Photography at A2, would this balance out possibly two Bs? (I.E. A*BB)

I'm so nervous :frown:

If you are recieving results for A2 levels you cannot get A* :s-smilie:
Best of luck guys :biggrin:

If it's any consolation the universities have already got your results - the admissions teams were working day! 4 more days and the horrible pain will be over!
Reply 44
apotoftea
Best of luck guys :biggrin:

If it's any consolation the universities have already got your results - the admissions teams were working day! 4 more days and the horrible pain will be over!

I did not know that! F*ing hell!
Today I woke up with a horrible feeling about it, I am genuinely panicking now - my nerves have definitely got the better of me.
If the admissions teams are already sorting things out does that mean that that whole thing about still having a slight chance of getting in (if you miss your offer) by calling them and making a case for yourself is bull?!?!?!
(sorry about the slightly hectic post =P)
Nanda_R
I did not know that! F*ing hell!
Today I woke up with a horrible feeling about it, I am genuinely panicking now - my nerves have definitely got the better of me.
If the admissions teams are already sorting things out does that mean that that whole thing about still having a slight chance of getting in (if you miss your offer) by calling them and making a case for yourself is bull?!?!?!
(sorry about the slightly hectic post =P)

Very few people realise that unis get results a good 3 or 4 days before the actual results day. I happen to know someone working in the admissions department hence why I know what's going on :wink:

No it's not utter bull by a long shot. The reason that they're in already and sorting people's offers out is that you're looking at a team of less than 20 people dealing with about 1500 new students for the new academic year. They have to start sorting applications out, confirming students with the Student Loan Company, accommodation offices etc etc etc. It's a long drawn out process and I imagine they do all the conditional offers that have been met first - as they're most likely to be definite students. That way they also know whether they've got places available on courses so that when a student rings the university on thursday morning - well firstly you'll be speaking to a team of students, not the admissions office direct, secondly it's all done on computer so obviously they need to confirm the student numbers on each and every individual course so that can go "live" and be correct from 9am thurs morning plus with RHUL probably offering what 150 different courses if not more it all takes time, effort and patience so that come thursday morning - students can ring the uni and get a yes/no/we can offer you a place on this course pretty quickly.

It's all done in advance so that in the best possible way - those students ringing on thursday morning will get the best advice, offers and courses availability, if not even having their original offer confirmed despite missing the actual conditional offer. How they choose who stays and who goes is beyond me but it's actually all prepared in advance for students' benefits and those students who have missed offers - they probably actually don't do anything until the student rings themselves. What they will know is whether the student's prospective department is happy to take them or not or whether because they gave out more offers than places thinking that people would miss their grades, whether actually - far more people missed their offers than they thought they would if that makes sense? It's all very complicated but no it's not utter bull and don't you dare be put off by it. They just have to be organised for the students' own benefit especially when clearing lists are published in the newspapers ON thursday as well.

Panic not - YOU WILL BE FINE! :biggrin:
Reply 46
apotoftea
Very few people realise that unis get results a good 3 or 4 days before the actual results day. I happen to know someone working in the admissions department hence why I know what's going on :wink:

No it's not utter bull by a long shot. The reason that they're in already and sorting people's offers out is that you're looking at a team of less than 20 people dealing with about 1500 new students for the new academic year. They have to start sorting applications out, confirming students with the Student Loan Company, accommodation offices etc etc etc. It's a long drawn out process and I imagine they do all the conditional offers that have been met first - as they're most likely to be definite students. That way they also know whether they've got places available on courses so that when a student rings the university on thursday morning - well firstly you'll be speaking to a team of students, not the admissions office direct, secondly it's all done on computer so obviously they need to confirm the student numbers on each and every individual course so that can go "live" and be correct from 9am thurs morning plus with RHUL probably offering what 150 different courses if not more it all takes time, effort and patience so that come thursday morning - students can ring the uni and get a yes/no/we can offer you a place on this course pretty quickly.

It's all done in advance so that in the best possible way - those students ringing on thursday morning will get the best advice, offers and courses availability, if not even having their original offer confirmed despite missing the actual conditional offer. How they choose who stays and who goes is beyond me but it's actually all done in advance for students' benefits and those students who have missed offers - they probably actually don't do anything until the student rings themselves. What they will know is whether the student's prospective department is happy to take them or not or whether because they gave out more offers than places thinking that people would miss their grades, whether actually - far more people missed their offers than they thought they would if that makes sense? It's all very complicated but no it's not utter bull and don't you dare be put off by it. They just have to be organised for the students' own benefit especially when clearing lists are published in the newspapers ON thursday as well.

Panic not - YOU WILL BE FINE! :biggrin:

I see, it's good to know that things will be organised so everything will be more efficient on thursday... oh dear this is the worst I've felt in a while. Anyways, hopefully I'll be fine - I should be but things can always go wrong.
TSR will (I think) be very busy this week - you are probably the most patient person I've ever ''seen'' lol
LJBzzz

I'm getting my AS Results on Thursday, by the time my A2 rolls round, A* is available.
Reply 48
homebythefence
I'm getting my AS Results on Thursday, by the time my A2 rolls round, A* is available.

How have you already been offered AAB then?
Pretty certain I will be, have been emailing the Psych Admissions tutor.
Reply 50
I hope they are REALLY lenient I've got a conditional place for AAB but am predicted BBB I might get ABB if I'm lucky but I hope they'll let me in its such an awesome university.
LJBzzz

I'm under the impression if you get 90% or thereabouts in a subject in both AS and A2 you'll get an A* at A2 Results?
imnotlulamae
I'm under the impression if you get 90% or thereabouts in a subject in both AS and A2 you'll get an A* at A2 Results?

Aw, just came accross the post I made at AS, bless.
I got offered ABB btw in the end.

Also, you need an A overall at A Level and then 90% of your total A2 only marks for the A*, not both AS and A2.
i_am_disco
Well my offer was ABB, and I had BBC, but i assume it depends on what course your applying for and various other factors such as your personal statement etc

You do not no how happy this as made me, ve applied for the same course, and i think im only going to get a BBB and im scared they might reject me :/ My exams are 2moro and im pissing my self :/
Loveangel2k9
You do not no how happy this as made me, ve applied for the same course, and i think im only going to get a BBB and im scared they might reject me :/ My exams are 2moro and im pissing my self :/

you should be fine :smile: if you get rejected or maybe you're a bit nervous about it before results day it could be an idea to email kishore verma who does the admissions. I've heard of people emailing him when they've had problems with admissions etc and he's supposed to be really helpful!
Reply 55
From what I've seen, a lot of students here missed their offers and were still awarded their places. RHUL is a lenient University and understands that many students don't make their offers. I like that about this place!
Reply 56
I've jus read the whole thread (yeah, i have a bit of spare time on my hands :tongue: ) and I wanted to ask if anyone is doing a Mathematics and Computer Science at RHUL, what grades they needed and what they got..
I got a conditional offer for ABB with A in maths.. I am not incredibly nervous that I didn't do too well on M2 and it may bring my whole grade down, so I was wondering if anyone has advice?! So far, I've read about how lenient RHUL seems to be in some courses more than others, so I'm asking about this course specifically. I checked on UCAS Extra and it's available for late applicants or wtv. That made me feel a little better =/
AAmber91
I've jus read the whole thread (yeah, i have a bit of spare time on my hands :tongue: ) and I wanted to ask if anyone is doing a Mathematics and Computer Science at RHUL, what grades they needed and what they got..
I got a conditional offer for ABB with A in maths.. I am not incredibly nervous that I didn't do too well on M2 and it may bring my whole grade down, so I was wondering if anyone has advice?! So far, I've read about how lenient RHUL seems to be in some courses more than others, so I'm asking about this course specifically. I checked on UCAS Extra and it's available for late applicants or wtv. That made me feel a little better =/

I'm applying for Computer Science and based on what i've read on here it's very lenient.

If you don't get into CS&Maths you might be able to get into CS G400.
Reply 58
pugnacitas
I'm applying for Computer Science and based on what i've read on here it's very lenient.

If you don't get into CS&Maths you might be able to get into CS G400.

Yeah, that's what I've gathered from reading the thread.. Yeah I was thinking about that possibility..

Whats your offer if you don't mind me asking?
AAmber91
Yeah, that's what I've gathered from reading the thread.. Yeah I was thinking about that possibility..

Whats your offer if you don't mind me asking?

ABC (subjects: Computing, Maths and Economics)

Latest

Trending

Trending