The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jennipenny
There's lots of dangerous misinformation here. Transferring university is actually pretty rare, particularly when it's 'trading up' in a popular subject. Universities don't have reserved places for transfer students. They are allocated a certain number of places per subject per year by the relevant government body (HEFCE). Anyone they take over that threshold, they get fined and they're also in trouble if they under-recruit. Popular subjects / universities fill all of these spots and so places are only available if people drop out. Again if you look at drop out rates at the better universities, you'll see they're low. Not many places open up and they tend to go first to internal transfer applicants, who've realised they've chosen the wrong degree as otherwise they drop out which makes the university look bad. And they will look at A-level grades as well as university marks. So it's not a given that the OP will be able to transfer by any stretch of the imagination.
The other thing is that good universities don't tend to consider transfers into third year as it's very unlikely that the second year the student has done is the same as their own and they don't like awarding degrees based on credits that they haven't awarded themselves. So the best time to try is definitely after first year.

Therefore they do, in a manner of speaking, have reserved places for transfer students.
Reply 21
If all universities have dedicated places saved for potential transfer students as you contend, why do some universities refuse to even consider transfer applications e.g.:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/introducing_oxford/oxford_faq/
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/electricalengineering/admissions/transfer
Some good universities may decide to take the risk of an external transfer student but most will expect that the student a) would have been accepted in the first place and b) has some compelling reason e.g. illness of a parent to move. Obviously it's very different if you're trying to transfer to somewhere where they have a high drop out rate or didn't manage to fill all their places in clearing but Manchester isn't one of those places. It's not fair to the OP to make him/her think that it's a fait accompli.
Reply 22
To be honest i wasnt too optimistic about this ever happening, the first line of my first post must give some indication of that.

I suppose ill try though; at worst they can only say no.

If i dont get in for the upcoming year would it be worth trying again for the following year?
Reply 23
thelegoman
To be honest i wasnt too optimistic about this ever happening, the first line of my first post must give some indication of that.

I suppose ill try though; at worst they can only say no.

If i dont get in for the upcoming year would it be worth trying again for the following year?

Are you set on going to Manchester? Possibly contact a few universities, maybe some that turn up in Clearing on the 14th. A whole host were in Extra, and my guess is, as Geography isn't that popular, you shouldn't have too much problem getting into a decent university providing you're willing to move.

Simply pick a few and contact them. You'll never know until you ask them, no matter what we may say. Only they can tell you.
Reply 24
As long as it is a good traditional uni im not too fussed which uni i end up at, i just thought Manchester would be easier with it just down the road from where i am now.

Are there any unis that are a definite no go because i know Oxford and Cambridge dont take transfer students in any case.
thelegoman
As long as it is a good traditional uni im not too fussed which uni i end up at, i just thought Manchester would be easier with it just down the road from where i am now.

Are there any unis that are a definite no go because i know Oxford and Cambridge dont take transfer students in any case.

How would you feel about transferring to a Scottish university? They seem to be good towards transfer students. It would be an extra year as all Scottish degrees are four years, rather than three -- but, equally, you would gain a higher qualification.

I was going to transfer to St Andrews in my second year -- but as I ultimately want to change to law, the extra year would be a pain, so I don't think that I'm going to apply any more.
Reply 26
I think it can be done sometimes. My friend screwed up her A levels and missed both her offers so went to Lincoln through clearing to do Biomedical Science. She did pretty well in her first year so has an offer for a transfer to Glasgow (her original firm choice) and is waiting to hear from Leeds.
jismith1989
How would you feel about transferring to a Scottish university? They seem to be good towards transfer students. It would be an extra year as all Scottish degrees are four years, rather than three -- but, equally, you would gain a higher qualification.

I was going to transfer to St Andrews in my second year -- but as I ultimately want to change to law, the extra year would be a pain, so I don't think that I'm going to apply any more.

A Scottish MA isn't a higher qualification than an English BA, it's still an undergraduate degree.
IlexAquifolium
A Scottish MA isn't a higher qualification than an English BA, it's still an undergraduate degree.

Well, Wikipedia (that reliable font of knowledge) tells me this: 'Scottish/Oxbridge MAs are seen by some as being within the cohort of advanced undergraduate degrees such as MMath or MSci, mostly as a combination of the title of "Master of Arts" (as opposed to the title of Bachelor) and also by virtue of being granted by a leading research university with a long history.'
jismith1989
Well, Wikipedia (that reliable font of knowledge) tells me this: 'Scottish/Oxbridge MAs are seen by some as being within the cohort of advanced undergraduate degrees such as MMath or MSci, mostly as a combination of the title of "Master of Arts" (as opposed to the title of Bachelor) and also by virtue of being granted by a leading research university with a long history.'

Basically, it's the old 'they're from a better university' argument.
Reply 30
I did have Edinburgh in mind as it is rated very highly for geography and apprently they have a high dropout rate when compared to similar unis.

So i would have to do an extra year then? and are there any differences in tuition fees?
Reply 31
jismith1989

Despite what the Wikipedia article may say, I truly doubt that and indeed find it hard when on certain courses you can be awarded either MA or BSc depending on how many scientific/quantitative modules you took.

I don't think any employer is foolish enough to mistake a Scottish MA with an English MA. In Scotland not only do students go to university with Highers (equivalent to AS-Levels), but also in the first two years you take at least three different subjects.
Reply 32
Hypothetical situation: someone is wanting to transfer the summer before the academic year is about to start (and they have unique circumstances), but the department at their chosen university is rigidly against transfer students. Is it possible for them to offer the student a place to start from scratch? This might not be so bad an idea since they'll have some knowledge from their first year elsewhere. I'm guessing popular subject departments might not be so willing, but surely they might have some leeway depending on people missing their offers etc.
Areontas
Hypothetical situation: someone is wanting to transfer the summer before the academic year is about to start (and they have unique circumstances), but the department at their chosen university is rigidly against transfer students. Is it possible for them to offer the student a place to start from scratch? This might not be so bad an idea since they'll have some knowledge from their first year elsewhere. I'm guessing popular subject departments might not be so willing, but surely they might have some leeway depending on people missing their offers etc.

:yep:
thelegoman
I did have Edinburgh in mind as it is rated very highly for geography and apprently they have a high dropout rate when compared to similar unis.

So i would have to do an extra year then? and are there any differences in tuition fees?

Yes it becomes more demanding the higher up you go. But you'd expect that, wouldn't you.

If you are bent on transferring, and get accepted. Be prepared to meet the demands of the course once you are there.

Finally, getting a degree from a university outside of the top 20, is not the be-all and end all. With a 2:1 from MMU, you will still get employment.
Reply 35
I think your problem will be whether the uni accepts transfers, rather than you coming from an ex-poly. I don't think many traditional unis will be snobby about it, if that's what you mean.

thelegoman

I dont suppose they would overlook my dismal A level results?

It depends, they'll take your academic performance into account, that's for sure, and although they'll focus on your first year uni performance they would be likely to want to know your A-level grades. If they are open to the idea of you transferring then they'll probably be able to guess you didn't get AAA.

I asked about transferring into the geography department at Durham (it would actually have been combined social sciences I would have formally enquired about) but, after telling them I only got BBB at A-level, I was told there was virtually no chance (even with my mitigating circumstances, which were quite significant). Even in transfers they look for AAA-AAB students.

But this is Durham, which is exceptionally comeptitive (and can by unflexible swines at times). Even your redbricks won't be quite as bad.

.ACS.
my guess is, as Geography isn't that popular, you shouldn't have too much problem getting into a decent university providing you're willing to move.

Depends what you mean by decent. I think many ex-polys are more than decent but,at the top unis (say top 30 to 40) geography is very competitive and fairly popular.
Digging this post up a bit, but did the OP make the transfer anywhere? :smile:
Reply 37
TimewaveZero
Digging this post up a bit, but did the OP make the transfer anywhere? :smile:

He hasn't visited TSR since March, so your best bet would probably be to send him a private message. His profile page says 'MMU', though.
Well I sent the OP a PM to see if they successfully transferred but I never received a reply so I guess I'll never know...

Could anyone who has made such a transfer, or knows of anybody who has, please comment??
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :smile:
*bump* anyone please? :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending