The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is it for the same (or closely allied) course?
Reply 2
Your best bet would be to contact the relevant tutors at the University of Leeds and discuss your situation with them. Out of interest, which course is this for?
Reply 3
Im just talking hypothetically about Leeds, i was just trying to keep the thread fairly general for any other students in a smiliar situation.

As for myself, im studying BSc Geography at MMU hoping to transfer to BSc Geography at Uni of Manchester.
Reply 4
Yes, I think it's quite realistic.
Reply 5
thelegoman
Im just talking hypothetically about Leeds, i was just trying to keep the thread fairly general for any other students in a smiliar situation.

As for myself, im studying BSc Geography at MMU hoping to transfer to BSc Geography at Uni of Manchester.

As in you've completed the first year already at MMU, or starting MMU in September?
Reply 6
thelegoman

Well obviously each case can be different, although in yours I would certainly say there is a possibility. Have you contacted Manchester to discuss your situation?
Reply 7
BSc Geog degrees tend to have similar first years all over, provided you've done relatively well it should be possible for you to transfer straight to the second year in Manchester :smile:

Just contact them anyway and good luck!
Reply 8
Nope not contacted them yet. I will email them tomorrow.

I dont suppose they would overlook my dismal A level results?
I've transfered, so it is possible yeh
Reply 10
thelegoman
I dont suppose they would overlook my dismal A level results?

I'd have thought that by this stage they won't pay a great deal of attention to your A level results, they'll be more interested in how well you've done in your first year.:smile:
thelegoman

:yep: Me thinks you could do it. Manchester is a fairly accepting place; just e-mail the department nicely!

I shouldn't think that your A-Level results would be much of a problem, as they'll know that your A-Level results won't be amazing otherwise you'd have gone to Manchester (or elsewhere) in the first place -- and getting a first two years in a row, in what you are actually going to be studying there, seems to compensate greatly for that.
Reply 12
Just out of curiosity, isn't transfer only possible if someone else drops out and the transferred student takes that place?
TSRreader
Just out of curiosity, isn't transfer only possible if someone else drops out and the transferred student takes that place?

:no: Most universities have places allocated for transfer students.
Reply 14
TSRreader

Also dont forget how many students drop out in their first year or even fail then resit it.

As with everything; unis are focused hugely on money, and many are keen to replace the drop outs to bring in more revenue.
Reply 15
jismith1989
:no: Most universities have places allocated for transfer students.

Why don't they use these places for non-transfer applicants? Are traditional universities so certain that there will be transfers in the near future?
TSRreader
Why don't they use these places for non-transfer applicants? Are traditional universities so certain that there will be transfers in the near future?

Yes, they're certain. They only have a certain number of course -- many, many less places than there are for people entering through the 'normal channels', but equally there will be less people applying for transfers.
Reply 17
Jimmy Jazz
I'd have thought that by this stage they won't pay a great deal of attention to your A level results, they'll be more interested in how well you've done in your first year.:smile:

Was just looking at your signature...
that cant be right. your firm is anglia ruskin 120 points and your insurance is AAA at oxford???
Reply 18
blondyx
Was just looking at your signature...
that cant be right. your firm is anglia ruskin 120 points and your insurance is AAA at oxford???

Click the spoiler button in his signature.
Reply 19
There's lots of dangerous misinformation here. Transferring university is actually pretty rare, particularly when it's 'trading up' in a popular subject. Universities don't have reserved places for transfer students. They are allocated a certain number of places per subject per year by the relevant government body (HEFCE). Anyone they take over that threshold, they get fined and they're also in trouble if they under-recruit. Popular subjects / universities fill all of these spots and so places are only available if people drop out. Again if you look at drop out rates at the better universities, you'll see they're low. Not many places open up and they tend to go first to internal transfer applicants, who've realised they've chosen the wrong degree as otherwise they drop out which makes the university look bad. And they will look at A-level grades as well as university marks. So it's not a given that the OP will be able to transfer by any stretch of the imagination.
The other thing is that good universities don't tend to consider transfers into third year as it's very unlikely that the second year the student has done is the same as their own and they don't like awarding degrees based on credits that they haven't awarded themselves. So the best time to try is definitely after first year.

Latest

Trending

Trending