The Student Room Group
geoff_yin
With us back in fourth, we have to build up a lead of our own over Villa. With Villa playing Liverpool, United and Everton next, we have to extend our lead over Villa. Since we still have Liverpool, Chelsea and United to play later in the season as well, it's important to get a good lead in case we don't win many of those three matches.
Yep, which is why Hubert and others have advised caution - just for now.

We have a similar run in to Villa, in terms of difficulty. However, I prefer ours because it gives us the chance to build a lead (which is quite conceivable now with the way the two teams are playing). This should also hopefully help to dishearten Villa in their chase to regain fourth, and thus allow us to drop a few points here and there and still have it wrapped up by the last couple of games.
white_haired_wizard
I was proved wrong guys

Shocker.
Overmars
Shocker.

It is.
Hubert Poo
Our crumble is still pretty fab tbfh. I take umbrage WHW. :huff:

future crumbles will have been inspired by your crumble of '08. OK, it was painful for you but there was something rather beautiful about it. It was so definite and powerful?! :cool: It was black and white, a solid crumble, no grey area. A very well-defined crumble. Villa are getting close to something similar. It was a fab crumble though :cool:
Reply 9984
Ronaldo VII
:yep:

:p:

Oi

:tongue:
Glad people are coming to see things as I always saw them, and backed the vision with a well-timed bet.

Villa were getting lucky, gaining confidence and winning games above their station. Cycle of prosperity, which has now hit crumble-crunch-proportions. Their quest for 4th is all but over, barring some bizarre rallying cry. I don't think they have it in them, though, and we are just too strong.
From Arseblog:

As expected there's been little or no talk about El Hajdi Diouf's atrocious challenge on Manuel Almunia. There was a subsequent clash in the area and the only thing Sam Allardyce had to say was:

It was a silly challenge, there was no need to make it. The pair of them reacted after but that was only because Almunia nutted him. But you never write about that, do you?

Silly challenge? Try dangerous, reckless or vicious. Those are much better words. And as usual he tries to fudge the issue by claiming Almunia headbutted Diouf. I mean, seriously. Did anyone see Almunia, 6'4, headbutt 5'10 Diouf? I didn't. He really is a piece of ****.

Sky Sports use their Goals on Sunday programme to go over incidents in the weekend's games. Yesterday they had Allardyce as their guest. Time given to Diouf's leg-breaker? None. Typical. The ref bottles it, Sky bottle it, yet when a player has his leg shattered by a similar challenge they'll be tutting and pointing fingers left, right and centre. They have a responsibility to the game beyond chatting to fat, ugly, gum-chewing, Walrus looking managers like old mates. Pathetic.

Seriously, it is absolute ********. Why wasn't Diouf destroyed for it? I don't remember Almunia nutting anyone. Pathetic.
Reply 9987
RobbieC
From Arseblog:

As expected there's been little or no talk about El Hajdi Diouf's atrocious challenge on Manuel Almunia. There was a subsequent clash in the area and the only thing Sam Allardyce had to say was:

It was a silly challenge, there was no need to make it. The pair of them reacted after but that was only because Almunia nutted him. But you never write about that, do you?

Silly challenge? Try dangerous, reckless or vicious. Those are much better words. And as usual he tries to fudge the issue by claiming Almunia headbutted Diouf. I mean, seriously. Did anyone see Almunia, 6'4, headbutt 5'10 Diouf? I didn't. He really is a piece of ****.

Sky Sports use their Goals on Sunday programme to go over incidents in the weekend's games. Yesterday they had Allardyce as their guest. Time given to Diouf's leg-breaker? None. Typical. The ref bottles it, Sky bottle it, yet when a player has his leg shattered by a similar challenge they'll be tutting and pointing fingers left, right and centre. They have a responsibility to the game beyond chatting to fat, ugly, gum-chewing, Walrus looking managers like old mates. Pathetic.

Seriously, it is absolute ********. Why wasn't Diouf destroyed for it? I don't remember Almunia nutting anyone. Pathetic.

Allardyce never said anything about nutting. Arseblogger is making that up I'm guessing.

This is what I posted after the game:

geoff_yin
"It was a foul but I don't think it was a red card but it was a silly challenge - no need to do it, the goalkeeper was just about to kick it out for a throw-in for us, so he (Diouf) should have just stayed on his feet."

I think Allardyce is smart enough to know that it would have been impossible for Almunia to stay on his feet...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7944245.stm

Starts at 2.06 in the Sam Allardyce video.
Reply 9988
I don;t see how he could just make up a quote tbh, he's a bit too prominent to do such a thing. :\
Doesn't stop him from spouting **** sometimes though...
El Stevo
Doesn't stop him from spouting **** sometimes though...
You think Diouf didn't deserve a red? Fairly shocking WUMing there, tbh. What he did was vicious, and with his previous, you can't give him benefit of the doubt tbfhwy.
RobbieC
You think Diouf didn't deserve a red? Fairly shocking WUMing there, tbh. What he did was vicious, and with his previous, you can't give him benefit of the doubt tbfhwy.

Haven't seen Joof's incident, nor am I commenting on it. Just WUMing that Arseblog does sometimes spout crap. Maybe no more than any other fanblog, but it does spout crap - surprised a lot of people take it as gospel.
RobbieC

It was a very bad tackle, but i don't think it was an intentional attempt to hurt Almunia. More the fact that Diouf is just stupid as ****.
El Stevo
Just WUMing that Arseblog does sometimes spout crap. Maybe no more than any other fanblog, but it does spout crap - surprised a lot of people take it as gospel.

I agree. And he changes his views so often it's hard to keep up.

In this case though, I reckon he's right. Any Allardyce team usually sets out to hurt the opposition, and Diouf was so late and strong with the tackle that it should've been a red. Whether there was intent, I don't know - and quite frankly, it doesn't matter. It was a reckless challenge, intentional or not. So a red card, for me.
Not punishing Diouf makes up for that clear penalty Pedersen should have had.
Ronaldo VII
Not punishing Diouf makes up for that clear penalty Pedersen should have had.
On the subject of penalties, it was nice to finally see one given at OT. And a red card too... for a United player?!?!

Maybe it was the FA just deciding to quell speculation that they are bias toward manure. That'd be my guess.

And unlucky on your prediction, Phil mate. Might've been closer betting at the other way round :awesome:
RobbieC
On the subject of penalties, it was nice to finally see one given at OT. And a red card too... for a United player?!?!

Maybe it was the FA just deciding to quell speculation that they are bias toward manure. That'd be my guess.

And unlucky on your prediction, Phil mate. Might've been closer betting at the other way round :awesome:

Finally given at Old Trafford? There have been plenty there this season, unlike to opponents at the Emirates. Congrats on your lucky win though :yy: An own goal, a penalty, 88th and 91st minute goals, I bet you were foaming at the mouth at that vast amount of luck.

:unsure:
Ronaldo VII
Finally given at Old Trafford? There have been plenty there this season, unlike to opponents at the Emirates. Congrats on your lucky win though :yy: An own goal, a penalty, 88th and 91st minute goals, I bet you were foaming at the mouth at that vast amount of luck.

dude, you lost 4-1 to liverpool at your own backyard, i dont think this is the right place to be commenting crap like that.
ticktockclock
dude, you lost 4-1 to liverpool at your own backyard, i dont think this is the right place to be commenting crap like that.

I don't see what difference our loss has to do with Arsenal against Blackburn, at all.
Reply 9999
Ronaldo VII

Weren't the 91st min goal and the penalty the same thing? Some shady stats you usin' my friend.

Latest