The Student Room Group

My situation: What do you think?

Ok, here is the deal:

The day my SAQ and written work arrived at my college (which is Homerton), I was sent and email regarding interviews. Originally, the email was an invitation to go for interview. However, on my SAQ I stated that I could not go for interview from December 1 to December 10, because I have to sit the final exams for the current semester at my school. So then the email told me that all computer science applicants would be expected to take the TSA on the 8th, and interview on the 9th. That means I would need to leave on the 7th, and for that I would have to miss an exam. So the email asked me to say whether that would be impossible for me. I answered that yes, it was extremely hard for me, as I would need to either miss the exam (which means to fail the course) or have it changed (which not normally happens). So then I expected a quick reply, and after two days I emailed them again just to confirm they had received my previous email, and they confirmed they received it, and told me that my email was forwarded to the Director of Studies in CompSci, and that they would reply to me as soon as he replies. However, I haven't receive a response yet. The last email I received (the confirmation one) is dated November 22, so about one week has passed since then. What I fear is that interview dates are rapidly approaching, and it is not very easy for me to plan an overseas trip in short notice.

What do you think? What are some possible replies I will get from the DoS? Will I get them soon? What if I don't?

Thanks in advance to all those who reply!
Reply 1
I'd give it a couple more days before i start panicking if I were you. Remember that it's coming up to the end of term now so most DoS's (certainly mine) are so snowed under with reports etc. But I'm sure they can't turn down your application because of this. Where will you be travelling from?
Reply 2
naelse
I'd give it a couple more days before i start panicking if I were you. Remember that it's coming up to the end of term now so most DoS's (certainly mine) are so snowed under with reports etc. But I'm sure they can't turn down your application because of this. Where will you be travelling from?

Mexico.
Reply 3
Rudess
Mexico.

wow, yes that it far to travel.

hmmmm realistically how much notice would you need? a week? two weeks? cos it may be that the DoS is waiting until the end of term (wednesday) to sort this out. But if you really need to know now I would email them again and let them know that you'll need to know some time in advance so that you can make travel arrangements
Reply 4
Rudess
What do you think? What are some possible replies I will get from the DoS? Will I get them soon? What if I don't?

Andy Harter is a nice guy, he's probably pretty busy given he's a DoS for several colleges and is the CEO of the company I worked for over the summer. I'm surprised he hasn't emailed back by now as he's usually fairly prompt and I'd expect him to within a week. You could try emailing him directly?

Alaric.
Reply 5
naelse
wow, yes that it far to travel.

hmmmm realistically how much notice would you need? a week? two weeks? cos it may be that the DoS is waiting until the end of term (wednesday) to sort this out. But if you really need to know now I would email them again and let them know that you'll need to know some time in advance so that you can make travel arrangements

Well, it all depends in what they reply. For instance, if they give me a date for another interview, then I think 2 weeks is desirable. I did state in my email that it is hard for me to make travel arrangements quicly, and I asked them kindly to consider my situation. I guess I can wait until this wednesday. Do you think they are likely to reply with another date for itnerview?

Thanks for all your advice!
Reply 6
Alaric
Andy Harter is a nice guy, he's probably pretty busy given he's a DoS for several colleges and is the CEO of the company I worked for over the summer. I'm surprised he hasn't emailed back by now as he's usually fairly prompt and I'd expect him to within a week. You could try emailing him directly?

Alaric.

Ok, I will probably email him on Monday if I get nothing. However, don't you think I will be annoying if the admissions secretary has already sent him my email?
Reply 7
I had the same situation as you have because I have final exams in Puerto Rico during the interviews dates. I told the college by email of my problem and the said that the will interview me by phone the 9th December. Maybe you can arrange that too and take your exams in Mexico and be interviewed as well. Good luck!
Reply 8
Rudess
Ok, I will probably email him on Monday if I get nothing. However, don't you think I will be annoying if the admissions secretary has already sent him my email?

Well you make sure you've changed it a bit to reflect your concern for the passing time, all it takes is a sentence long email back to you to let you know you won't have to make arrangements at too short a notice. He seems to be someone who doesn't work on the weekends (well we always went to the pub on friday afternoons and it didn't sound like he was going to go to work the next day!) so there's no point in emailing tomorrow.

If you phrase it right it'll be fine, I expect all DoSs expect a few concerned questions at this time of year!

A.
Reply 9
Yaha
I had the same situation as you have because I have final exams in Puerto Rico during the interviews dates. I told the college by email of my problem and the said that the will interview me by phone the 9th December. Maybe you can arrange that too and take your exams in Mexico and be interviewed as well. Good luck!

Oh my... for one part, that would solve the problem.

For another part, I think I would suck at an interview by phone. I just don't like the phone!
Rudess
Oh my... for one part, that would solve the problem.

For another part, I think I would suck at an interview by phone. I just don't like the phone!

Ditto. Phones are like people talking with their backs to each other.
You need the expression & eye-contact! Unless it's a quick factual call, that is.

For them, maybe accent prejudices would take over.
Though at least one consolation... no worries over what to wear! :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending