The Student Room Group

What should I do?

So I've got exams next week and due to family issues I'm not in a good position to take them. I'm in my final year, and scored just below 60% last year. I'm worried if I don't do well, I won't be able to get a 2:1 and that will significantly impact my career opportunities as most grad schemes require a 2:1. I'm very under prepared and feel ill be taking a big risk and it could backfire if I do sit these upcoming exams. Should I just suspend my studies a year and come back prepared next year? Also, I have a few assessment centres and interviews coming up, they all require a 2:1, so should I still go for them and see if I can get it changed to a 2025 intake if I get an offer and explain my circumstances?
Hey!

I understand you are in very challenging situation. I think you can talk to your PAT (Personal Academic Tutor) about your situation, and they can advise what best can be done. Regarding your interviews, I feel you should attend and explain your circumstances, some employers might consider your situation and take you in for a later intake. Remember, you don’t get what you don’t ask for! Take Care!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by UoS PG students
Hey!

I understand you are in very challenging situation. I think you can talk to your PAT (Personal Academic Tutor) about your situation, and they can advise what best can be done. Regarding your interviews, I feel you should attend and explain your circumstances, some employers might consider your situation and take you in for a later intake. Remember, you don’t get what you don’t ask for! Take Care!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador

I'm thinking of applying for mitigating circumstances first as my situation comes up as eligible and then having the opportunity to sit the exam at the next exam period.
Hey!

I feel that is one of the best options you have got. And for any further queries, you can talk to your personal academic tutor for advice based on your situation and especially university, as each has different policies.

Best Wishes
Priya 🙂
Postgraduate Ambassador
Reply 4
MitCircs is the most direct route -you should be able to access some pretty specific support on this via your academic advisor and the school-level MitCirc or student support teams. Get in touch ASAP to get the ball rolling.
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
MitCircs is the most direct route -you should be able to access some pretty specific support on this via your academic advisor and the school-level MitCirc or student support teams. Get in touch ASAP to get the ball rolling.

Yep that's what I plan to do now. Monday 9am when they're open I'll be on it. I've contacted my tutor as well. I'll get my evidence prepared and submit my claim on Monday morning. I've gone over their policy and what they need and I think I'll have it all.
Reply 6
Original post by J7591
Yep that's what I plan to do now. Monday 9am when they're open I'll be on it. I've contacted my tutor as well. I'll get my evidence prepared and submit my claim on Monday morning. I've gone over their policy and what they need and I think I'll have it all.

I didn't realise I had replied to two of your threads - apologies! It all sounds squared away to me, I would be surprised if you had any hiccups here. Hopefully things get sorted for you and alleviate a bit of the pressure.
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
I didn't realise I had replied to two of your threads - apologies! It all sounds squared away to me, I would be surprised if you had any hiccups here. Hopefully things get sorted for you and alleviate a bit of the pressure.

I hope so, it'd really make my life a lot easier. I appreciate your help, thank you.
Original post by J7591
So I've got exams next week and due to family issues I'm not in a good position to take them. I'm in my final year, and scored just below 60% last year. I'm worried if I don't do well, I won't be able to get a 2:1 and that will significantly impact my career opportunities as most grad schemes require a 2:1. I'm very under prepared and feel ill be taking a big risk and it could backfire if I do sit these upcoming exams. Should I just suspend my studies a year and come back prepared next year? Also, I have a few assessment centres and interviews coming up, they all require a 2:1, so should I still go for them and see if I can get it changed to a 2025 intake if I get an offer and explain my circumstances?

Hi there

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I would echo the advice above, getting in touch with your student support team can be useful as they may be able to arrange mitigating circumstances and help you rearrange your exams.

For the interviews, I also agree that you should try to take them. Interviews are difficult to secure, so I would recommend viewing it as a learning experience. It is always possible to write them an email afterwards explaining your situation if need be.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending