The Student Room Group
The basics of it, from what I can remember, is that Caldwell reckless, that is, objective recklessness, is now no longer good law. We have reverted back to Cunningham reckless, that is, subjective recklessness. There has been criticism from Clarkson and Keating that this is what Parliament intended at the time of legislating the Criminal Damage Act anyway.
Pretty much.
Caldwell recklessness was objective recklessness this has been altered by G so that in terms of criminal damage, we have reverted back to subjective recklessness. Cunningham stylee.

Look at the August update of the criminal law book on this site and it might be some help.
http://www.booksites.net/download/fsls/download.htm

This also might be useful

http://www.lawreports.co.uk/hlpcoctd0.1.htm
Also if you have access to any of the online law sites like westlaw I'm sure there are a multitude of articles on this.
Reply 4
thank you sooo much, all the other people that have tried to explain this to me have made it sound really complicated, youve made it seem a whole lot simpler!
Personally I'd be careful with the Law Reports website because, if there is more than one appeal, it can be quite confusing to read. As they state the 'route' of the case concerned.
Reply 6
Do you think any law journals would have relevant stuff in? because i dont think this case is in many textbooks yet as its fairly recent.
Student Law Review.
Reply 8
Pretty much what everyone has said is right however there are some cases where Caldwell recklessness might still apply (or so my ciminal law lecturer said). He then added that Cunningham recklessness (at Hull anyway) is what we need to know for the purpose of our studies and that we will never get an exam question that would involve Caldwell.
Reply 9
Ariel4
Do you think any law journals would have relevant stuff in? because i dont think this case is in many textbooks yet as its fairly recent.

Criminal Law Review would be my first port of call.

Clarkson and Keating should include it, as should Ashworth, Principles of Criminal Law. Herring is very up to date (2004) so should have something in. Use the footnotes to point you towards the articles, which will be in the Crim Law Rev, CLR, OJLS, LQR, MLR etc.
Reply 10
thanks again guys, youve helped me loads. i think i know where i am with it all now!
Mark_KK
Pretty much what everyone has said is right however there are some cases where Caldwell recklessness might still apply (or so my ciminal law lecturer said). He then added that Cunningham recklessness (at Hull anyway) is what we need to know for the purpose of our studies and that we will never get an exam question that would involve Caldwell.

Thats not the case at all unis at the moment. Some are asking for answers involving caldwell and non caldwell scenarios because there isnt any post G caselaw. But I imagine that would be made pretty clear in the essay or exam question.
We were told that there are still some instances where Caldwell recklessness might still apply too.

Latest

Trending

Trending