The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Scotsman1988
Not sure what date it is for your basic rate, but every payday you get 4 weeks worth of contractual pay. The cut off for over-time is the Thursday of the week before payday (i.e. for the last pay we had it would have been 7/5) - anything after that date would go into next months pay (and any overtime right up until 4/6)

Thanks, I knew I'd heard something about a Thursday being a cut off point, but wasn't sure which or for what!

I only started work back on the 27th of April, so I'm trying to work out how much I should have been paid Friday. It wasn't as much as I expected, so I was trying to work out if it was all my hours up to the Friday and I'd been emergency taxed, or I was missing about a week's money that will be in next month's slip. I'll have to go and track down my payslip, I guess!
Hi
I have not recieved my p60 this year have you guys? Cheers
Finally got a reply from Tesco, but still it was a rejection lol XD It says they would keep me on file, but meh, I would just take that as a no.

Does that mean I actually passed the questionnaire? Or is that letter just a general rejection letter they give?
javjamoll
Finally got a reply from Tesco, but still it was a rejection lol XD It says they would keep me on file, but meh, I would just take that as a no.

Does that mean I actually passed the questionnaire? Or is that letter just a general rejection letter they give?

You passed, but they simply have no vacancies/are not doing interviews just now and as such they will keep you on file until suitable vacancies arise/ they start doing interviews.
Orite, hopefully soon!! It was my fault really for handing it in late, but neh! At least I may get a job in the future

*crosses fingers and hopes the next 2 weeks* lol
Reply 345
Hi guys, i'm thinking about applying for a job at Tesco and need some questions answered..

Is there a job that only involves shelf stacking? I don't want to work on checkouts.

When i fill in my application form and send it in what do i have to do after this process?

When i have my interview will it involve having to do group tasks and things like that? Or is it a one on one interview?

Thanks in advance..
Alex3512
Is there a job that only involves shelf stacking? I don't want to work on checkouts.

It depends. There are jobs that are mostly shop floor work, but if you're working during the day/evening you'll still be expected to be a multiskiller. And if you're working evenings, then the multiskillers do tend to have to go on the checkouts most shifts, for maybe half an hour or an hour. At my store it's fairly easy to ignore the calls and hope someone else answers, but if they're really desperate they will come and find you. If you work nights, I think you don't have to be multiskilled (although in a 24 hour store, it's possible).

You don't get to pick your job though, you'll be a General Assistant and that covers all departments. When I started, I wanted to be on checkouts and ended up on the shop floor. When I came back this summer, I was put on checkouts. It's random. If you'd been there a while (say, six months), I guess you could ask to move departments, but at first you do as you're told lol.

When i fill in my application form and send it in what do i have to do after this process?

Wait for a phone call.

When i have my interview will it involve having to do group tasks and things like that? Or is it a one on one interview?

It's a group interview, but it's just questions, no tasks. The interview is split into two: the first bit is the group interview where the interviewer asks questions and you all discuss them. Then you're sent away and called back one by one to have a chat about the hours you can work, what the holidays and pay are etc. If you're successful after the interview, they call you back to do an hour or two of work experience, so you can see if you like the job they're giving you.
Joanna May

It's a group interview, but it's just questions, no tasks. The interview is split into two: the first bit is the group interview where the interviewer asks questions and you all discuss them. Then you're sent away and called back one by one to have a chat about the hours you can work, what the holidays and pay are etc. If you're successful after the interview, they call you back to do an hour or two of work experience, so you can see if you like the job they're giving you.

My interview was nothing like this one, I went in and had a 1 on 1 interview with the checkouts manager, and then went and did some packing for customers to see what I was like around people.

Although I did mine 2 years ago so it might have changed since then
matt10101
My interview was nothing like this one, I went in and had a 1 on 1 interview with the checkouts manager, and then went and did some packing for customers to see what I was like around people.

Mine was similar to this but on a different department. It was a one on one with the grocery manager and then i went to stack crips on shelves to see if i could cope with the job and that was about 9 months ago.
matt10101

Lol, mine was three years ago. It's probably changed from being like mine to yours. Yours sounds more sensible, rather than having to go in twice like I had to.
Reply 350
Joanna May
Lol, mine was three years ago. It's probably changed from being like mine to yours. Yours sounds more sensible, rather than having to go in twice like I had to.

Hi Joanna,
Am I right in thinking you're at the Gillingham store? I have an interview there next week (a group interview which I am dreading!) and was wondering if you had any last minute advice? :smile: Also, what is the pay like?
Simon-J
Hi Joanna,
Am I right in thinking you're at the Gillingham store? I have an interview there next week (a group interview which I am dreading!) and was wondering if you had any last minute advice? :smile: Also, what is the pay like?

I'd rather not say what store I work for, but it is in Kent. I don't really know what to suggest, since it seems like the interview has changed since I did it. Basically, just be chatty and friendly, make sure you make yourself heard but let others talk to, and if they ask you any scenarios then make sure your answers always put the customer first (ie if they ask you what you'd do if a customer needs help and you're really busy, the answer is that you'd drop your current task to help them). Pay is really good! As an over 18, I'm on around £6.95 an hour with time and a half for Sundays and bank holidays. You'll probably be on a bit less to start with, but it rises after a few months. Good luck!
Reply 352
I had a group interview about 2 weeks ago. We were given a question to answer in group then had to present them infront of the rest of group. We then had to wait around for ages for our individual interviews. The individual interview wasn't really an interview we were just asked what days we were available and told about holidays and stuff. I was called saying I had the job and had an induction yesterday from 9:30 - 4:45....good luck with your interview
Reply 353
Joanna May
I'd rather not say what store I work for, but it is in Kent. I don't really know what to suggest, since it seems like the interview has changed since I did it. Basically, just be chatty and friendly, make sure you make yourself heard but let others talk to, and if they ask you any scenarios then make sure your answers always put the customer first (ie if they ask you what you'd do if a customer needs help and you're really busy, the answer is that you'd drop your current task to help them). Pay is really good! As an over 18, I'm on around £6.95 an hour with time and a half for Sundays and bank holidays. You'll probably be on a bit less to start with, but it rises after a few months. Good luck!

Thanks to you both for the advice! I got the job and am on some kind of flexitime contract which suits me OK. :smile:
Eeep just noticed you're going to be doing the same course as me at uni next year - I love it :smile:
Becky Moo
hey, I've been working for tesco for more than a year and I recieved my 'privelege card' which gets you 10% discount a while ago, a family member of mine used it when I wasn't with them, and it was taken off them. I'm on leave for a while at the minute so i went in during the week to get it back, otherwise i'd be without discount for a while and me and my family are skint at the minute. i asked the person who took it off them and I said that I'm assuming they took it off them because it has a womans name on it and they were male(so they must have thought it was stolen), and they said no, it's a security breach and my manager will be talking to me about it when I get back. I'd asked my friends in store and some told me that people have been fired for it in the past whereas others said they let their parents and family use it without them and didn't know that they weren't allowed.

im just wondering what to do, as i can't afford to lose my job and i really didn't know we weren't supposed to let family members use it.
the person - that took it off them - when i asked about it said that when i recieved it i should have read the terms and conditions before signing the contract or something - i don't remember anything of the sort, i remember receving it in a letter or something, but has anyone got the letter/terms and conditions as i don't so im just wondering if it actually says i cant let my family members use it or what?
thanks for your help

Yeah only you are meant to use the card, you should have been told that when you got it. I would highly doubt that you will be fired for it, you might get a disciplinary at the most.
I am lucky because the store I work at is really relaxed and so they let my parents use my card
Reply 355
In fairness though, how are you supposed to know? I swipe the cards all the time from people I don't recognise and you can easily assume they work in another store somewhere, for all we know they're using a family members card and vice versa you know?
Reply 356
Cy4nide
In fairness though, how are you supposed to know? I swipe the cards all the time from people I don't recognise and you can easily assume they work in another store somewhere, for all we know they're using a family members card and vice versa you know?

yep, also if a manager's daughter/son came in, like their 18 year old daughter, that everyone knows, i really doubt that if they weren't with them that they'd take the card off them.

it's a bit annoying anyway, i dislike disciplinarys - feel's like an interergation.

so do you think they'l give me it back after telling me off or whatever?
Abuse of the privilagecard is actually gross misconduct and is very serious indeed. Three people in my store have recently been issued with final written warnings for abusing the privilagecard.
Reply 358
hi a quick question, I've filled in application form for tesco but i have a lot of tesco shops around me and I wanted to apply to all of them. would it be okay if I just filled in one form and photocopied the application as opposed to fill in new forms to hand in to each different store?
Reply 359
Hey, I applied for a job at my local Tescos, and got a letter back last week that they currently had no vacancies, but would keep me on file.
Does anyone know hop long for, or how likley they are to get back to me?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending