The Student Room Group

Temporary job at Tesco

I really need a new job because I hate where I currently work and the pay is awful. I have thought about applying to my local Tesco but they only have availability for seasonal/temporary staff. Is this a risky choice or is it likely that I will keep my job for longer than the Christmas period?
Original post by Gazzz06
I really need a new job because I hate where I currently work and the pay is awful. I have thought about applying to my local Tesco but they only have availability for seasonal/temporary staff. Is this a risky choice or is it likely that I will keep my job for longer than the Christmas period?

Hi

Its the chance you can take by applying and hopefully getting this temporary job with tesco and then hope you'll get kept on after your temporary contract ends - there's opportunities usually for temps to be kept on permanently but it depends on each stores manager staffing budget for the period,

I would look for more permanent job if you looking for a job change but if you hate where you are currently then you could take a gamble on applying and if you get offered this job then take it and hopefully you'll get kept on but its your choice really what you do okay . I'm a T/L with tesco so most temps over previous years been kept on with others let go but remembering that this year is different from previous years then possibility you maybe kept on even if they offer say the dot.com side of it then take it as they taking on lots for this at moment.
Original post by Gazzz06

I worked at Tesco for four years and when I joined I was hired on a temporary basis and they extended this for me and most employees if they were needed on the department. Nowadays its very rare that the store hires anyone because of funding (I assume), and Christmas temps were always let go in January. It is definitely a risk however there is no harm in asking if there is a chance that you could be made permanent after the Christmas period during your interview
Original post by A.Peters0797
I worked at Tesco for four years and when I joined I was hired on a temporary basis and they extended this for me and most employees if they were needed on the department. Nowadays its very rare that the store hires anyone because of funding (I assume), and Christmas temps were always let go in January. It is definitely a risk however there is no harm in asking if there is a chance that you could be made permanent after the Christmas period during your interview

Hi
Yess most stores are determined by budgets that managers are given each year and that's to fund everything and head office will authorise more money to fund more staff hiring if they require them okay as you don't need to assume this ok, you been 4 years there in tesco compare to someone with 16 years , and unlike nowadays a lot of staff are taking on as temporary and some will get opportunity like yourself did to get an extension to contract and be offered a permanent job, especially christmas time.
There's a large recruitment happenening right now with tesco with majority of jobs for the Dot.com side plus drivers to.
You only ask manager if there's any opportunities of being kept on after christmas period before your contract up and hopefully you will , you can ask at interview about this and they will say of course there is but not always the case.
I would strongly advise against working at Tesco. Especially during these current times. I have been a customer assistant with them for 2 years and Covid has been an awful experience. Customers screaming, swearing, and assaulting you daily are just some things you'll have to look forward to if you start working for Tesco. Oh, and management don't care about you whatsoever. They'll squeeze as much work as they possibly can from you, with little regard to your physical/mental wellbeing. Your colleagues will b*tch and gossip about you behind your back. You'll finish a shift feeling deflated and depressed, feeling that you aren't actually achieving anything with your life. And you have to do it all over again the next day.
So if you want to feel like a replaceable, unimportant clog in a giant capitalist company and be burnt-out by manipulative managers, then by all means get a job at Tesco. But you're basically signing away your soul.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi i got 2 job offers from Tesco, one is permanent another is temporary (mentioned conditional offer in email). I need permanent job But the temporary ones time, days & location is more convenient for me and during job interview manager told me if I perform well then there’s a chance to work longer. So which one i should go for?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by reehaxx
Hi i got 2 job offers from Tesco, one is permanent another is temporary (mentioned conditional offer in email). I need permanent job But the temporary ones time, days & location is more convenient for me and during job interview manager told me if I perform well then there’s a chance to work longer. So which one i should go for?

Hi

Wow well done on 2 offers from tesco as sometimes unusual to get offered 2 like,

He is your senerio with both jobs ok :- ( permanent ) - you been offered this permanent job at another store and this is gaunantee for you ok, now you would perfer the ( temporary job ) because its on your doorstep but yet this won't be gaunantee until about 12 weeks after started job then management will tell you if successful or not to offer permanent job to you but you might not get it and you therefore turned down a reasonable permanent job to take the gamble of you hopefully getting this temporary job as permanent, there is no gaunantee of getting extension or offered a permanent job from temporary position as will be down to your performance, attendance record and how you get on with everyone plus dealing with instructions.

If it was me getting offered those two jobs I would rather take the gamble on the permanent job over the temporary position on offer. I would take the travel time to get to permanent job as I know it's already gaunantee being permanent.

I understand your predictement on chosing but I think you'll be stupid not to take the permanent job okay. Of this is my opinion but end of the day it is only you who can make this decision but chose wisely.

And I'm a t/leader & occasionally stand in supervisor as required with tesco.
Reply 7
I would say Tesco are not that great.I applied and got a job at Tesco, nowhere on job advert did it say it was a temporary 12 week contract and this was not mentioned in the interview.Tesco only give you a 12 week contract with the contract being 16 hours a week, however Tesco expect you to work more than the said 16 hours but will not give you the contract to go with the hours.Your also on basic minimum wage for the 12 weeksSeems very one sided great for Tesco
Reply 8
So just the same then in any retail job
Reply 9
Hi, I currently work for Tesco just now. I applied as permanent, part time flexi, been there for 6 months but now saying I am temporary. I am soo confused as I would have not applied for temporary job. This is soo miss leading no where says it was temporary.
Original post by Amandak82
Hi, I currently work for Tesco just now. I applied as permanent, part time flexi, been there for 6 months but now saying I am temporary. I am soo confused as I would have not applied for temporary job. This is soo miss leading no where says it was temporary.

Take it up with your immediate store manager or if you are in Union discuss this with them..

I'm just wandering if they accidentally given you wrong information about job if you applied for a permanent position as unusual for this to happen..

I get your point about you wouldn't have applied for a temporary position as obviously want a full-time permanent position.
Reply 11

This recently happened to my son he been working at Tesco for 6 weeks they gave him a hand notice to say his temporary contact ended he applied for a permanent position so he left confused they called him on his days off and would ask him to come in 3 hours before his start time what they doing is wrong messing with people mental health really a week after he received uniform just unfair really
Reply 12
Original post by Gazzz06

Stay well clear from Tesco you rather stick to your job until something permanent comes up Tesco will take u on then get rid of you after they finish with you get you to do extra hours then stick push you out at the end of the day
Reply 13

Just look for other alternatives because they did that to my son serve him with a 1 week notice after working him for 6 weeks a week after they give him uniforms they give him a 1 week notice to say his temporary contract end in 1 week no where it said it was a temporary position

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending