The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
hey, does anyone know if you're allowed dreadlocks if you work in tesco?
I'm a general sales assitant, and I was wondering if I get dreadlocks will I be fired? I wouldn't take them out if they asked me too, I'd tie them back of course.
thanksss!
Becky Moo
hey, does anyone know if you're allowed dreadlocks if you work in tesco?
I'm a general sales assitant, and I was wondering if I get dreadlocks will I be fired? I wouldn't take them out if they asked me too, I'd tie them back of course.
thanksss!

It would be up to your store manager really.
Reply 382
Scotsman1988
Your hourly rate is dependent upon the shifts you work and which format of store you work in.

Cheers :smile: still don't know the hourly rate, but I've been given my weekly wage which isn't to be sniffed at :smile:

Another thing, the temp contract is 12 weeks, but I'm only here for 11, and they know this, so could this pose an issue, and on a temp contract can i give a weeks notice if needs be? It's a normal superstore, not an extra btw :smile:
Reply 383
My Mum dropped her purse in town just now and went back to check and it had gone, it had my privilidge card in it. Are there any steps I should take or contact anyone? I don't want some thieving stranger getting my discount!
Cy4nide
My Mum dropped her purse in town just now and went back to check and it had gone, it had my privilidge card in it. Are there any steps I should take or contact anyone? I don't want some thieving stranger getting my discount!

Awww so annoying- the same happened to me, but my bag was stolen.

Just tell your manager, and they should forward it to the wages person who should be able to deactivate the discount part (whoever tries to use it will cause an error message on the checkout alerting the operator the card being used is lost or stolen, causing it to be confiscated :woo: ).

In the meantime I've been advised to keep all my receipts so I can get reimbursed :o:
Sup guys, I just just got a job in tesco a few weeks ago and got paid today. Problem is I believe have not got paid enough. It's probably because of tax, but I find it strange cause it seems to be quite a big difference. I got paid about £110 and I've worked 4 8 hour shifts (not counting breaks) already so I should've made around £180. How do I go about enquiring about this? Tesco didnt ask me for a p45 or anything by the way (dont know if that would have anything to do with it).

I'm a full time student and I only work 15 hours p/w so I should be able to claim tax back.

Thanks.
Sounds like you've been emergency taxed? If that's the case, you need to go and see your personnel manager and get them to fill in a P46 for you. Then you should get the tax back in your next/ the next after that pay slip.
im from east london, been trying at my two nearest stores for more than 1 whole year now. ive had absolutely no luck what soever. its like gold dust. i have previous retail experience working for sainsburys for 1 year and Barclays work experience. im 18 too.. please any advice for getting a job at tesco would be appreciated. :confused:
Reply 388
Been offered an intervew at the Colchester stor. They said I will just be outside pushing trolleys around for 3 hours on a Wednesday evening, 3 hours on a Friday evening and 6 hours on a Sunday. Pretty ideal hours for me. What is the pay like for an under 18 outside with the trolleys and what should I expect from the interview?
Mickael1991
im from east london, been trying at my two nearest stores for more than 1 whole year now. ive had absolutely no luck what soever. its like gold dust. i have previous retail experience working for sainsburys for 1 year and Barclays work experience. im 18 too.. please any advice for getting a job at tesco would be appreciated. :confused:

Just keep calling and asking for someone from HR or the personell manager. I got my job by total chance; I'd handed in an application form and kept trying to call to check up on it. I finally got through to someone (HR manager) about a week later and even though they'd lost the application forms, she gave me an interview for 40 minutes later. Interview was pretty straightforward and I got offered the job an hour later.
Lizia
Ok, I'm on a flexi contract. My contracted hours are Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I've had today (monday) off sick, and possibly tomorrow as well.

Do these days off affect my attendance rating? I would presume so, but I wasn't sure. Also, how many days can you be off sick without a doctor's note?

Also, I've worked at Tesco three years now, but during that time I had nine months off on a career break. Is my attendance counted as 3% of the time since I came back off the career break, or 3% of the past 3 years? I need an attendance rate of 97% or more to get a student transfer, and I'm worried that these two days off will bugger that up. I've only been back three months, so two days off would probably tip me into the problem sections :/

Regardless of how long you have been with the company your attendence is 3% calculated over the last 26 weeks. You need to provide a doctor's line after 7 days (including weekends) otherwise you will be classed as awol. Yes, these days sick will go towards your percentage (unless any of them fell on an overtime shift, which do not count towards your SYA percentage)
To be honest I'm not 100% sure about flexi-contracts. If I were your manager I'd be consulting the SYA manual before conducting your welcome back meeting.
Lizia
Thanks anyway. I called up today and they told me not to come in. I've got some kind of rash on my face. We think it's an allergic reaction but we're not 100% sure so the duty manager told me not to come in today. I'm a bit miffed since I now lose two shifts worth of money and my attendance might fall below 97% which means I won't get a student transfer. Which is crap because I could have gone in today, they just won't let me.

It's not as simple as that. When you request a transfer through the Student Transfer system and your SYA % is more than 3% (if you're % is based on a 36.5 hour week then that is just over 4 days) the student transfer team contact your PM and they can still decide to transfer you. I was transfered on a Student Transfer with 3.84% absence (I'd had a whole week off work)
Reply 393
Hey,

I have scored a job with tescos quite luckily but it seems very informal...

It was posted on gumtree (didn't say it was tescos), i sent my cv and got a phonecall to say print off application form and come to an interview with the store manager. I had the interview in about 10 minutes and she had a quick look at the application form then said she would ring me the next day.

I got offered the job and was told to go do my training, so i did my bronze, gold, silver before stepping into the work environment or having a introduction or anything lol.

What im getting to is...

They do not know I am a university student at the moment as I didn't mention it in interview/application. Is there any chance of me getting a transfer to my uni town when term starts so I have work year round? (ie. is it done internally or externally). I have a plan saying I didn't know what i wanted to do and applied through clearing etc.

I am not going to be able to complete my 12 weeks (may get 10-11) in my current store which may be an issue.

Thanks for any help!
Reg*
Hey,

I have scored a job with tescos quite luckily but it seems very informal...

It was posted on gumtree (didn't say it was tescos), i sent my cv and got a phonecall to say print off application form and come to an interview with the store manager. I had the interview in about 10 minutes and she had a quick look at the application form then said she would ring me the next day.

I got offered the job and was told to go do my training, so i did my bronze, gold, silver before stepping into the work environment or having a introduction or anything lol.

What im getting to is...

They do not know I am a university student at the moment as I didn't mention it in interview/application. Is there any chance of me getting a transfer to my uni town when term starts so I have work year round? (ie. is it done internally or externally). I have a plan saying I didn't know what i wanted to do and applied through clearing etc.

I am not going to be able to complete my 12 weeks (may get 10-11) in my current store which may be an issue.

Thanks for any help!

Speak to your Personnel Manager as soon as possible.
Reply 395
Scotsman1988
Speak to your Personnel Manager as soon as possible.

Then they will find out I lied/didn't reveal truth in application which will = dissmisal?

I would rather 100% keep the job for summer and then try find one in uni over risking losing current job to try and secure one at uni.
Reply 396
Hello people,

Im considering applying for the nightshift at tesco's, isit best to just fill in an application form and hand it in... or ring up and ask if they have positions?

thanks
Reply 397
Hello, so i have a Tesco interview tomorrow in Bath. I'm wondering what to expect and what not help me guys... Thanks
Reply 398
Expect some competency based questions (customer service, team work, etc), a quick tour of the department in which you will be working...erm...this is going from about 4 years ago, but I'm presuming that it hasn't changed. Not too sure what else. Good luck though :smile:
Reply 399
ok thanks, i'm really looking forward to the opportunity however i always mess up on interviews! but i am determined to get this one in the bad as it were

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending