The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

At the end of my interview I was invited to an induction latest this month and have been told what days till training will be but I wasn't told that I had the job does that mean I don't have the job or?
Later*

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I have a job at McDonalds, really struggling with it, cannot cope with the shifts and such. Only problem is, I'm getting a steady flow of shifts at the moment, Saturday and Sunday, 16 hours a week.

I applied for a job at Tesco after coming back from work angry and hating everything! They called today and called me for interview.

Basically, what I'm getting at is, is Tesco better to work in? I get treated like crap off both customers and some staff, but it's half an hour away from home on a bus, or go to Tesco and risk being treated like crap there, with it being half an hour on the train? :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by parkyparkinson
I have a job at McDonalds, really struggling with it, cannot cope with the shifts and such. Only problem is, I'm getting a steady flow of shifts at the moment, Saturday and Sunday, 16 hours a week.

I applied for a job at Tesco after coming back from work angry and hating everything! They called today and called me for interview.

Basically, what I'm getting at is, is Tesco better to work in? I get treated like crap off both customers and some staff, but it's half an hour away from home on a bus, or go to Tesco and risk being treated like crap there, with it being half an hour on the train? :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A major factor to consider is pay difference. If I'm not wrong pay from McDonalds is quite low compared to Tesco. I'm currently on £7.12 an hour and because I work Sundays, I get around £10.50ish an hour which is great!! I'd also say Tesco isn't as high pressure as McDonalds which may mean that staff may not be as stressed and stuff. I've been working at Tesco for 2 years and it has been fine. You do get the odd annoying customer but I'd say it's quite rare.
Original post by awayinmyhead
A major factor to consider is pay difference. If I'm not wrong pay from McDonalds is quite low compared to Tesco. I'm currently on £7.12 an hour and because I work Sundays, I get around £10.50ish an hour which is great!! I'd also say Tesco isn't as high pressure as McDonalds which may mean that staff may not be as stressed and stuff. I've been working at Tesco for 2 years and it has been fine. You do get the odd annoying customer but I'd say it's quite rare.

Thanks! I get £4.98 and I'm 18, so I'll deffo have a real good try at Tesco interview! Any tips? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by parkyparkinson
Thanks! I get £4.98 and I'm 18, so I'll deffo have a real good try at Tesco interview! Any tips? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know from sources that a few managers when they interview aren't so bothered about the answers and like people to smile and give eye contact. However I doubt that's all managers. Um look up those weird scenario things as well. I'm lucky I didn't get interviewed I just walked into a job.

What department?
Original post by awayinmyhead
I know from sources that a few managers when they interview aren't so bothered about the answers and like people to smile and give eye contact. However I doubt that's all managers. Um look up those weird scenario things as well. I'm lucky I didn't get interviewed I just walked into a job.

What department?

Checkout Assistant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 687
do you get paid for working on? Due to customers or work load that needs to be done?
Reply 688
how do you get paid for overtime on different departments? Do you just have to clock in and out like normal?
Reply 689
Anyone got any tips for the group interview? Just got a call saying I've got one on Tuesday for Tesco in Gillingham and I'm pretty nervous. What can I expect and what are some good ways to get the job?
Reply 690
Original post by ExcessNeo
I'm on £7 an hour base rate (this is ofcourse established as I've worked there a few years) + time and a half on a sunday so £10.50 an hour on Sundays.

Someone who just joined will probably be on about £6 an hour base rate or something along those lines.[/QUOT

Hi there. I work full time in Tesco. my manager asked me if i can work on sunday, and i accept it. then i heard from one of my mate who works there too. he said, you gonna get time and half! which i never hear before.
can someone help me please, am i entitled to it?
thanks
[QUOTE="jay90385;40110531"]
Original post by ExcessNeo
I'm on £7 an hour base rate (this is ofcourse established as I've worked there a few years) + time and a half on a sunday so £10.50 an hour on Sundays.

Someone who just joined will probably be on about £6 an hour base rate or something along those lines.[/QUOT

Hi there. I work full time in Tesco. my manager asked me if i can work on sunday, and i accept it. then i heard from one of my mate who works there too. he said, you gonna get time and half! which i never hear before.
can someone help me please, am i entitled to it?
thanks

I dont work at Tesco, Only did security tagging for a bit before. But Time and a half I think only happens on sundays, and that's when you get paid 1.5 times your usual hourly rate.
I've applied at Tesco extra, can anyone tell me what does the Interview consist of? & what do you have to do there.

Thanks in advance
Reply 693
i have just ask from Personal office in tesco where i work and she said yes you get time and half. wow
Got rejected for a Produce Assistant vacancy at Tesco near where I live. Time to apply for lots of other vacancies at Tesco (feeling to be rejected again!)...
Original post by ForgetMe
Got rejected for a Produce Assistant vacancy at Tesco near where I live. Time to apply for lots of other vacancies at Tesco (feeling to be rejected again!)...

Which Tesco is that?

How long did Tesco take to reply to your application, and was it online?

& Did they reject you at the application or the interview?
Original post by CaliphaMuhammad
Which Tesco is that?

How long did Tesco take to reply to your application, and was it online?

& Did they reject you at the application or the interview?

Erm, Tooley street, somewhere near London Bridge. Not sure which type of Tesco it was. Yes, it was online and it took like 3 or 4 days. They rejected my application.
Original post by ForgetMe
Erm, Tooley street, somewhere near London Bridge. Not sure which type of Tesco it was. Yes, it was online and it took like 3 or 4 days. They rejected my application.

damn I see. I applied to the Dudley extra one on the 4th of November, the deadline was on the 6th. I still haven't heard back from them :frown:
Reply 698
I'm currently on my gap year. I was doing an apprenticeship until recently, when the business I was doing it with started struggling and they let me go. Last week I had an interview at Tesco, and on Monday I was offered a job as a till assistant there. But (probably because I was so pleased to have a job again) on the phone I didn't ask any of the questions I probably should have asked; all I know is that I have my induction this Saturday. So I was wondering if any of you could answer them?

What should I wear?

How long roughly does it last? It starts at 9 o'clock Saturday morning, but I could do with knowing when it finishes so I can organise what bus I need to take back.

What happens during it?

What do I need to bring with me?

Thank you so much!
Anyone who works there or who has recently had an interview, what kinds of things do they ask you about?
Is it a group interview or 1 to 1?

Thankss.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending