The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kendellex
Don't worry. I was the same with my first job. Freaked out that I was getting paid below minimum for nights.
The good thing is you tend to get all your tax back at once which means a huge pay day 😍😍

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did you get yours back? Do you think it will be next month or later than that? I'm used to getting paid weekly and prefer it instead of having to wait another 30 days haha
I had an interview on Wednesday (29/07) and then came in on thursday (30/07) to hand in my documents and the women asked me if I wanted to do a work sample. So I just worked in clothing for half an hour with some random women then after half an hour the women said I could leave if I liked so I left. Is this normal? Was I being assessed? Seems like I worked half an hour for free:confused:

Also does anyone know how long it takes them to contact you after this? They haven't given me any information at all...
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Do Tesco even hire 17 year olds? Seems like they only want 18 year olds :tongue:

Everyone I've asked about tesco that is 17, said they got rejected.

They do, I was 17 when I got hired a month ago; although I'm 18 now. My job hasn't changed at all so there is no advantage to having me at the age of 18 rather than 17. The only advantage is I don't have to ask someone if I can serve age restricted items... Not really going to make them want 18 year old's over 17's in my opinion.

One of my colleagues in the same department is 17, she started in December and turns 18 in September. Plus, a majority of people in my store started when they were 16/17 years ago! It's just a coincident that it was all your friends that were 17 that got rejected. I'm sure an equal amount of 25 year old's are rejected too!
Original post by Katiee224
I had an interview on Wednesday (29/07) and then came in on thursday (30/07) to hand in my documents and the women asked me if I wanted to do a work sample. So I just worked in clothing for half an hour with some random women then after half an hour the women said I could leave if I liked so I left. Is this normal? Was I being assessed? Seems like I worked half an hour for free:confused:

Also does anyone know how long it takes them to contact you after this? They haven't given me any information at all...

Yeah that's totally normal that's what i did! Except my work sample was on the day of my interview and i was wearing heels and had to walk around the store for two hours haha. Afterwards they asked the girl i was with whether i did okay, but for me it was as though the interview was most important and the work sample was more for yourself too see if you're comfortable in that department. Chances are you've got the job. Yeah it's unpaid which is annoying, but you get paid for the induction day :smile: (it is really long though) You did really well to get an interview as they said you have to get only 2 questions wrong in the online application to even be considered for an interview.
Do Tesco even hire 17 year olds? Seems like they only want 18 year olds :tongue:

Everyone I've asked about tesco that is 17, said they got rejected.

i think i've spoken to you before...i just applied to 2 tesco jobs 2 days ago (im 17 also)...got rejected today :frown: how's the job hunting going?
I'm hoping to transfer in septmeber for when start uni.

Can anybody help me with the process? I'm a little lost tbh. How much of the process is done online, and how much is done with my personnel manager? Also what exactly are all of the steps and are there any phone calls I may need to make?
Reply 1646
Original post by Lotte-Elizabeth
I shouldn't get taxed as i'd earn below £10,000 a year :s-smilie:

It's probably emergency tax , I got it on my first payslip
Original post by bubblegumcat
i think i've spoken to you before...i just applied to 2 tesco jobs 2 days ago (im 17 also)...got rejected today :frown: how's the job hunting going?

Applied to like 10 places, waiting for replies. Wbu?
Applied to like 10 places, waiting for replies. Wbu?

applied to another 2 jobs, where have you been looking?
So I've applied to 5 Tesco jobs, all about a week ago. The deadline for all of them have passed. I haven't gotten a rejection email yet. Should I have gotten one if I was rejected by now?
Need a job for uni (start back 21st September) and I applied very early 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bubblegumcat
applied to another 2 jobs, where have you been looking?

Still in retail, but looking at department stores and clothes stores. Although boots just rehected me because my questionnaire score was too low :tongue:
Still in retail, but looking at department stores and clothes stores. Although boots just rehected me because my questionnaire score was too low :tongue:

Lol I just got rejected by boots too 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol I just got rejected by boots too 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was it the questionnaire too? Their questionnaire is really in depth, I can see why I failed at that stage.
Was it the questionnaire too? Their questionnaire is really in depth, I can see why I failed at that stage.

I found their questionnaire nicer than tesco's.
Was probably my personality answers that got me

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found their questionnaire nicer than tesco's.
Was probably my personality answers that got me

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've passed the questionnaire a few times but been unavailable for the interviews and they wouldn't move them :frown: but it's the personality bit, like every question they have an answer like 'I look for new ways to carry out routine tasks' and that kinda suggests you'd get bored of the job quickly and they want people to do as they're told so I picked the answers that weren't them! Hope that helps for next time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tesco in poland is **** 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why don't they even remotely sell similar items abroad in Eastern Europe compared to UK 😡

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Velvetgh0st
I've passed the questionnaire a few times but been unavailable for the interviews and they wouldn't move them :frown: but it's the personality bit, like every question they have an answer like 'I look for new ways to carry out routine tasks' and that kinda suggests you'd get bored of the job quickly and they want people to do as they're told so I picked the answers that weren't them! Hope that helps for next time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't really fussed about the boots job cause if I ended up getting it I would be working practically 24 hours for friday/saturday and another 24 for saturday/sunday
Original post by Velvetgh0st

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I thought that looking for new ways is a good thing. Must have been my personality bit
I wasn't really fussed about the boots job cause if I ended up getting it I would be working practically 24 hours for friday/saturday and another 24 for saturday/sunday

I was the same! Just kinda applying because they were hiring haha, still waiting on a reply from tesco :frown: one of the jobs I applied for, the applications close today so hopefully I'll hear soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending