The Student Room Group

Should I use a VPN?

I want to protect myself.
Original post by Albert122
I want to protect myself.

Depends what you are doing. I use a personal vpn when I'm connected to public WiFi points
I use a VPN. I use NordVPN which is a company based in Panama. I use it mainly because I wish to protect my privacy online. Not only that but I use a browser called Brave which basically detects trackers from the likes of Facebook and Google and blocks them. Maybe you already know but these trackers pretty much collect your online data and sell them to the highest bidder, who then use them for targeted ads. So if you searched for something online say something you wanted to buy, you'd see ads on Facebook for example related to that something you wanted to buy. Such a practice doesn't sit right with me so I use NordVPN along with Brave as my browser and DuckDuckGo as my search engine.

Privacy aside, VPN is also useful for getting access to blocked websites and stuff and is a useful tool against internet censorship. VPN's are popular in China and are widely used by Chinese people to bypass the Great Firewall of China, which is an internet blocking tool which blocks access to western websites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, Wikipedia, Youtube etc.

I use a thing called IPTV aswell which is basically just what is referred to as a dodgy TV box in the UK, I use my VPN for that aswell. It's basically an app you download on your Smart TV which gives you 1000s of TV channels which include the likes of Sky Sports etc for a fraction of the price of a legitimate subscription to a sports package.
A VPN really only protects your provider from spying on your browsing and monetizing it. But many people think that download free VPN they are completely anonymous on the Internet, but this is not the case. At least there is one other person who has your data: the VPN owner. So I use Veepn https://veepn.com/. It clears your logs.
Original post by BlackStar17
A VPN really only protects your provider from spying on your browsing and monetizing it. But many people think that download free VPN they are completely anonymous on the Internet, but this is not the case. At least there is one other person who has your data: the VPN owner. So I use Veepn https://veepn.com/. It clears your logs.

big brain, the vpn yes can veiw the traffic its just the receiving end who cant so do u trust the man behind the vpn or the destination more with your data food for thought

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending