The Student Room Group

Modern Languages at Bristol or UCL?

Hi! Funnily enough, I asked this same question last year, took a gap year, reapplied and I'm once again trying to pick between studying at Bristol or UCL for Spanish and Russian.

I've visited Bristol and I really liked it there but I live close to London and it would help being close to home since I could probably still keep my job (which I enjoy) which would help out a lot with how expensive London is. UCL also offers a Modern Language Scholarship which would help with costs whereas Bristol doesn't offer any scholarships I'm eligible for. I know it's not a guarantee that I'll be awarded the scholarship so London being very expensive is still putting me off.

However, I prefer the course at Bristol since it has specific modules I would like to take (e.g. translation and interpreting, taking up another language). I like the course at UCL too but I prefer the Bristol one more. I wasn't able to visit the Languages Offer-Holder Day at UCL so I haven't managed to get a feel for what the course/language departments are like there. I've also heard that feedback on work/getting help isn't that good at UCL?

It would be great if anyone could share their experiences studying languages at either of these unis and if anyone knows what the graduate prospects look like for these universities.
Both are prestigious universities. My son got an offer from Bristol for German and we really enjoyed the city when we visited.

You tell me you prefer the course in Bristol and are worried about the cost of living in London. I think you have answered your own question.
Reply 2
Original post by nn5
Hi! Funnily enough, I asked this same question last year, took a gap year, reapplied and I'm once again trying to pick between studying at Bristol or UCL for Spanish and Russian.

I've visited Bristol and I really liked it there but I live close to London and it would help being close to home since I could probably still keep my job (which I enjoy) which would help out a lot with how expensive London is. UCL also offers a Modern Language Scholarship which would help with costs whereas Bristol doesn't offer any scholarships I'm eligible for. I know it's not a guarantee that I'll be awarded the scholarship so London being very expensive is still putting me off.

However, I prefer the course at Bristol since it has specific modules I would like to take (e.g. translation and interpreting, taking up another language). I like the course at UCL too but I prefer the Bristol one more. I wasn't able to visit the Languages Offer-Holder Day at UCL so I haven't managed to get a feel for what the course/language departments are like there. I've also heard that feedback on work/getting help isn't that good at UCL?

It would be great if anyone could share their experiences studying languages at either of these unis and if anyone knows what the graduate prospects look like for these universities.

I have to agree with your other reply, Bristol sounds great for you, and you can always find a job there so personally would think that Bristol would be the choice
Original post by IWTJOMB
I have to agree with your other reply, Bristol sounds great for you, and you can always find a job there so personally would think that Bristol would be the choice

As a linguist myself, I would find the interpreting module attractive. And even with a scholarship, London would still be very expensive
Reply 4
Original post by Oxford Mum
As a linguist myself, I would find the interpreting module attractive. And even with a scholarship, London would still be very expensive

I'm going to Cardiff to do French and German in September so I'd have go agree, the translation modules do sound quite appealing.
I've only ever been to London once and I couldn't afford to go again
Original post by IWTJOMB
I'm going to Cardiff to do French and German in September so I'd have go agree, the translation modules do sound quite appealing.
I've only ever been to London once and I couldn't afford to go again

Exactly. Enjoy your French and German degrees (which are the subjects I studied at uni)
Reply 6
Exactly. Enjoy your French and German degrees (which are the subjects I studied at uni)

Any chance I could PM you to ask your experience with the degree subject?
Original post by IWTJOMB
Any chance I could PM you to ask your experience with the degree subject?

Ok but I am not a very successful linguist at all ( due to lack of confidence) and do not use my languages now.

I studied French and German and disliked the course very much. I was no good at literature so would have been much better off applying to a purely languages based degree. Learning languages only paid off when my son wanted to go to Oxford for German
Reply 8
Ok but I am not a very successful linguist at all ( due to lack of confidence) and do not use my languages now.

I studied French and German and disliked the course very much. I was no good at literature so would have been much better off applying to a purely languages based degree. Learning languages only paid off when my son wanted to go to Oxford for German

Oh, well thats a shame
Original post by IWTJOMB
Oh, well thats a shame

Yes it is a shame! My lack of confidence has a lot to answer for.

One thing I am good at is encouraging others though, and giving them the confidence I never had. That is why I do all the Oxford advising I do, and it has made a difference to a surprising number of people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending