The Student Room Group

Is 1000 calories a day enough

I’m 17 female, 5f7/174cm, 10 stone 5/66kg

I want to lose 1 and a half stone so that I’m around 9 which is still a healthy BMI. Is eating 1000 calories enough. I’ve googled it some websites say no and you need at lest 2000 a day but some say it’s fine as long as you get all the food groups and don’t go below 1000. Is eating that amount okay, I’ve done it for about a week and feel fine. ( don’t exercise much just a general walk with dog each day about 2 miles)

I won’t continue this as when I reach my weight goal I will eat 1800 to maintain it and stop losing.
That's way too low and dangerous. I understand you want to lose weight to higher your self-esteem but don't lose yourself in the process.
Reply 2
considering your height and sex, i would say 1000 is the bare minimum you should consider, and you don't want to do if too long either.

be sure to take a good multivitamin too
Reply 3
Dieticians would say that it's too low and is dangerous for your health generally. Dropping below 1500 generally isn't good, but if you do have to restrict so much, then maybe try for 1300 calories.
1000 cals a day is way too low! Start with where you are now. Has your weight changed recently or has it been fairly stable? If it's been stable for a while then that's your maintenance calories (ie what you need to stay the same weight). Track your normal food intake for a while and use something like MyFitnessPal to see how many calories you're eating. Remember to include drinks and any oils, condiments or extras.

Once you know your maintenance, you simply need to consume a couple of hundred fewer calories per day. For me, maintenance is about 2100 cals at just over 8 stone and 5 ft 6. If I eat 1800 or under then I start losing.

You will lose weight if you only eat 1000 cals a day. However that isn't sustainable and you are a product of your habits so as soon as you resume regular eating, the weight will return. Your best and safest bet is to start with small, slow reductions. The results won't be as quick or drastic but much more controlled and crucially more sustainable so should last.
Original post by PollyParrot23
1000 cals a day is way too low! Start with where you are now. Has your weight changed recently or has it been fairly stable? If it's been stable for a while then that's your maintenance calories (ie what you need to stay the same weight). Track your normal food intake for a while and use something like MyFitnessPal to see how many calories you're eating. Remember to include drinks and any oils, condiments or extras.

Once you know your maintenance, you simply need to consume a couple of hundred fewer calories per day. For me, maintenance is about 2100 cals at just over 8 stone and 5 ft 6. If I eat 1800 or under then I start losing.

You will lose weight if you only eat 1000 cals a day. However that isn't sustainable and you are a product of your habits so as soon as you resume regular eating, the weight will return. Your best and safest bet is to start with small, slow reductions. The results won't be as quick or drastic but much more controlled and crucially more sustainable so should last.

I’ve been on 1000 a day for about 3 weeks now i was 5f7in 10s5lbs I’m one 9s13lbs. I don’t feel tired or weak in fact I feel better than i have in a while once I’m down to 9 or 8 and a half I will increase to 1900 to maintain it, the 1000 is still balanced foods like fruit, meat and some carbs just not much. I don’t see how it’s different from the celebrity diets or the smoothie diet obviously they aren’t as long as 3 weeks but I’m not doing that and am still eating food.
Original post by Amy hull 123
I’ve been on 1000 a day for about 3 weeks now i was 5f7in 10s5lbs I’m one 9s13lbs. I don’t feel tired or weak in fact I feel better than i have in a while once I’m down to 9 or 8 and a half I will increase to 1900 to maintain it, the 1000 is still balanced foods like fruit, meat and some carbs just not much. I don’t see how it’s different from the celebrity diets or the smoothie diet obviously they aren’t as long as 3 weeks but I’m not doing that and am still eating food.

There's a reason those celebrity crash diets aren't recommended- it's because they're unhealthy fad diets! And eating a range of foods doesn't equal meeting your body's nutritional needs. It's good that you're eating and eating a range is better than limiting yourself to only a few certain foods however that still doesn't mean that it's healthy. If your energy intake is less than your energy expenditure you will lose weight. That is science. If all you care about is losing weight then 1000cals will do that but consider the sustainability, your energy levels, the effect it could have on your bodily functions and skin. You can lose that weight without needing to be so restrictive on yourself.

Just be careful that you are getting enough nutrition. It's definitely possible on 1000kcl. Foods like steamed veg, chicken, fish excetra are really good.

Smoothie diets are ridiculously unhealthy anyway--their sugar content can be horrific.
(edited 3 years ago)
Have you started to do any training at all?
1000 is to low because when you stop losing weight you haft to go down to 900 then 800
Remember 3500 calories is 1lb of fat
So if you want to lose 1lb a week just take off 509 calories a day. But that doesn't haft to be just from food adding in cardio or weigh training is going to help in you result.

Staying on very few calories will result in binge eating

Download myfitness pal start tracking your calories
If you start on 2000 and you lose weight why do you need to drop calories. But if your not losing weight then you slowly take of calories.

Don't look at BMI look at body fat instead
BMI calculates water fat and muscle

You could have a bikini competitor or someone who weight trains and wears a size 6 could be classes overweight from BMI because of their muscle mass
I’m 17 female, 5f7/174cm, 10 stone 5/66kg

I want to lose 1 and a half stone so that I’m around 9 which is still a healthy BMI. Is eating 1000 calories enough. I’ve googled it some websites say no and you need at lest 2000 a day but some say it’s fine as long as you get all the food groups and don’t go below 1000. Is eating that amount okay, I’ve done it for about a week and feel fine. ( don’t exercise much just a general walk with dog each day about 2 miles)

I won’t continue this as when I reach my weight goal I will eat 1800 to maintain it and stop losing.

that is way too low. you will lose weight but your metabolism will slow down and that will lower the amout of calories you can eat to maintain your weight. your bodily functions need at least 1200 calories a day and thats with you doing nothing.
to lose weight in a maintainable way you should lower your calories is by 500 calories at most. the best would probably be lowering your calories by 200. that should be maintainable and also shouldnt slow your metabolism.
A woman needs 2000 on average shoot for around 1700 or move more to create the deficit
Reply 11
Depends
I really hope you read this, please dont get into calorie numbers! please please please! There are so many scientific reasons I can bring up as to why but essentially it gets people into really really bad mental states anyone would advise to avoid that as much as possible.

Instead, change just three things! It could be annything as long as you stick to it. Mine were just two: no.1 walking 10,000 steps a day, or actively taking myself out on walks. no.2 make a healthy delicious breakfast and have it every morning. just those two were enough to set me doing multiple good habits for months, and the gradual weight loss just... stayed, because I changed my life, long term. Do your own version of this, please, and not the rabbit hole you might go down instead

Quick Reply

Latest