The Student Room Group

apprenticeship with a part time job at 16

Am i able to do an apprenticeship with a part time job on the weekends at the age of 16?
I have a part time job on the weekends and will be leaving high school soon and wanting to do an apprenticeship instead of going to collage throughout the week.
How would i go about this and who should i talk to for some advise?
thanks
Reply 1
Shouldn’t be a problem. I worked with many apprentices who had additional part time jobs, both working for themselves or for other people/employers.

It would only become a little challenging at higher and degree apprenticeship level where a significant amount of out-of-hours study is needed.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Chris2892
Shouldn’t be a problem. I worked with many apprentices who had additional part time jobs, both working for themselves or for other people/employers.

It would only become a little challenging at higher and degree apprenticeship level where a significant amount of out-of-hours study is needed.

Most of the apprenticeships that ive seen is a minimum of 30 hours a week but my part time job is 13 hours on a weekend. I know theres laws around 16 year old only allowed to work a max of 40 hours a week so would there be a way around that ?
Reply 3
Original post by bigdezman
Am i able to do an apprenticeship with a part time job on the weekends at the age of 16?
I have a part time job on the weekends and will be leaving high school soon and wanting to do an apprenticeship instead of going to collage throughout the week.
How would i go about this and who should i talk to for some advise?
thanks

You can, there's nothing stopping you. The question is why would you want to?

Also you will need to make sure you're paying appropriate tax. Other than that, there's no problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending