The Student Room Group

Bad Wifi in my room because of thick walls

Basically, I get really bad internet in my room on my computer ( like one or two bars ) because of my thick walls, if I stand just outside my door I get full bars :/ I have a plug just outside my door and I was wondering if it was worth it to get a wifi extender or if it would be redundant because of my thick walls? Or should I try a powerline adapter?
In terms of initial cost a WiFi extender may be a good first thing to try. Of it doesn't work then you can look into using a powerline adapter, which tend to be a little bit more expensive.

If you get an extender be sure to try it I'm different locations, you say you get full bars at the socket just outside your room, but also maybe try it a bit closer to the WiFi source and see how that works for you.
Powerline.
Reply 3
Original post by MeyPingas
Powerline.

Even is they are on different cicuits?
Original post by nikini

If the two ends of the powerline adapter are on different wiring circuits then they won't work.
We have a WiFi extender. Ours is just something you plug into the socket in the wall.

If your having trouble with your WiFi then yeah a WiFi extender is the answer.

After my mum brought a WiFi extender, we haven’t had any trouble with the WiFi connection in the house.
Original post by nikini

It might be possible to use two pairs of powerline adaptors and link the network across both circuits, depends on the layout of your house though.

WiFi extenders can work but result in increased latency/lower speed, another option is a wifi mesh extender which is less bad but more pricey.
Original post by nikini
Basically, I get really bad internet in my room on my computer ( like one or two bars ) because of my thick walls, if I stand just outside my door I get full bars :/ I have a plug just outside my door and I was wondering if it was worth it to get a wifi extender or if it would be redundant because of my thick walls? Or should I try a powerline adapter?

I was in exactly the same situation and considered both WiFi extender and powerline. In the end, after doing some research I got a BT 11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 1200 and now have excellent WiFi in the areas that had almost none before. It's mega easy to set up too. One piece of advice if you get this one ........ don't lose the password that comes with it because you can't reset the password if you've lost the original. You don't need the password to set it up initially, but if you move home or change your Internet Service Provider, that's when you do need it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending