The Student Room Group

Virtual assessment centre / virtual interview - please help

I have no peace or privacy at home, I cannot perform well when my family are literally listening in on me during virtual assessment centres virtual interviews, and I have nowhere else to spend 4-6 hours! I am considering renting out a meeting space for when I have one, but it costs a lot! It costs around £30-50 for a half-day. Is this what I should do? Is there any other solutions or places to have a private and quiet room for free? Pls help
Original post by Random_user45
I have no peace or privacy at home, I cannot perform well when my family are literally listening in on me during virtual assessment centres virtual interviews, and I have nowhere else to spend 4-6 hours! I am considering renting out a meeting space for when I have one, but it costs a lot! It costs around £30-50 for a half-day. Is this what I should do? Is there any other solutions or places to have a private and quiet room for free? Pls help

Hey! I am with you. I'd say if you have trusty headphones, just go to a cafe with good wifi. I usually pick one that does not get as crowded, like Starbucks. More often than not, recruiters understand these constraints and you could politely bring it up too and lightly explain your situation in case there is some disturbance. I have an unlimited data pack so generally I just need to find any cafe I can sit in.

Edit: I mean Starbucks gets really crowded so prob not the best choice.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by QFApplicant
Hey! I am with you. I'd say if you have trusty headphones, just go to a cafe with good wifi. I usually pick one that does not get as crowded, like Starbucks. More often than not, recruiters understand these constraints and you could politely bring it up too and lightly explain your situation in case there is some disturbance. I have an unlimited data pack so generally I just need to find any cafe I can sit in.

Edit: I mean Starbucks gets really crowded so prob not the best choice.

I was in a virtual interview once where the interviewers actually called me out for not finding a suitable place, and they blamed me for it, almost close to removing me from the assessment centre. It was a half day assessment centre, and I could only use the room for 2hours, and then I would have to give up the room.

At home, I just can’t focus on the assessment at hand, or interview.

I could never go to a starbucks, when I’m in interviews or assessments, I speak loudly to emphasise my strong communication skills 🤣 Everyone would hear me in the cafe 😭😭🤣.

Literally my only solution is to book places/meeting rooms.

It’s so hard in this day and age to get a job. I feel so disadvantaged and application processes are just so isolating sometimes for those like me.

Thank you :smile: I will try that idea. Although, sitting 4-5 hours in a cafe, they’d kick me out 😭😭😭🤣
Original post by Random_user45

If £30-50 will help you then pay for the privacy

Just make sure you're 110% prepared and know a lot abut the role and company or it's a waste of time and money
Reply 4
Does your local library offer bookable rooms? These are usually free of charge if you have a library card and some actually advertise them for this very purpose.

Or maybe you're still at university in which case you should be able to book a room for half a day or a whole day.

Or maybe you have a community centre nearby and you could send a polite email explaining the situation. They may let you have a small space for free during the day, or perhaps just a nominal fee of like £5 for wifi costs.

Alternatively, you could really lay it on thick with your family and get them out of the house for a few hours. Or at a real push, take the mattress off your bed, stand it upright against your bedroom door and a create a physical barrier between you and your family, with the added bonus of some slight soundproofing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending