The Student Room Group

GCSE biology 9-1, how would you answer this question?

This question came up on our December mocks and barely anyone got it right. Our school is refusing to give us the mark schemes yet so does anyone think they know the answer to this? Thanks
4AFAD094-198D-409F-8BCB-D6772595D6A0.jpg.jpg

Scroll to see replies

(potassium) ions increase the concentration of the solution (inside guard cells) or (potassium) ions make cell more concentrated / less dilute water moves into the (guard) cell by osmosis cell swells unevenly (so stoma opens) as inner wall is less flexible than outer wall or thick part of the wall is less flexible than the thin part (of the wall).
^^ that

My school had the exact same problem!! What happened with me is that I saw the word 'potassium' and automatically thought "I haven't learned anything to do with potassium and plants, just magnesium/nitrates", and so I panicked and got 0 marks on that question lol.
Original post by giothevanna11
^^ that

My school had the exact same problem!! What happened with me is that I saw the word 'potassium' and automatically thought "I haven't learned anything to do with potassium and plants, just magnesium/nitrates", and so I panicked and got 0 marks on that question lol.

My school wont even give me my paper back so idk what i got in it :frown:
Original post by sxhxl
My school wont even give me my paper back so idk what i got in it :frown:

That sucks :frown: Did they tell you when/if you'd eventually get it back? If they won't give it to you then it's basically useless - why do the mock if you won't know where to improve/focus after?
That sucks :frown: Did they tell you when/if you'd eventually get it back? If they won't give it to you then it's basically useless - why do the mock if you won't know where to improve/focus after?

probably because my school doesn't care about my education at all :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Is this for AQA?
Original post by hp4300
Is this for AQA?

yes
Reply 8
I'm not sure if this is right but here's my answer:

As light intensity increases the rate of photosynthesis also increases - this means more Potassium ions are absorbed (as they're needed for enzymes which help photosynthesis occur). Because the rate of photosynthesis is higher more co2 is needed so the stoma open to allow more co2 in for photosynthesis .

But I don't think this is really correct as I haven't mentioned anything about the cell walls. It's a hard question hopefully it doesn't show up.
Original post by sxhxl
This question came up on our December mocks and barely anyone got it right. Our school is refusing to give us the mark schemes yet so does anyone think they know the answer to this? Thanks
4AFAD094-198D-409F-8BCB-D6772595D6A0.jpg.jpg

Think of water potenial and osmosis

I got A* in the GCSE and A Level but it's been so long, I just remember the K+ ions lowered the concentration and then that made the stomata open in some way

Anyway, that's a concept often studied at AS Level
Reply 10
^^ that

Do you remember the answer?
It's to do with water potential. the influx of potassium ions reduces the water potential so water enter the guard cell by osmosis down the water potential gradient. this causes the cell to swell, as the inner wall is thicker then the outer wall expands more than the inner wall and so the stoma opens.

This is in my current A level course so I know this is the answer
you fine asf
currently want to jump off a bridge w AQA's questions, thanks guyss
Original post by hp4300
Do you remember the answer?

Look at the post above mine :smile:
Reply 15
Look at the post above mine :smile:

It makes sense but I could never come up with that in the exam! It's no where in the text book either.
Original post by hp4300
It makes sense but I could never come up with that in the exam! It's no where in the text book either.

it's literally not even on the specification, I've looked up every single sentence with 'osmosis', 'light intensity', 'guard cells' and 'potassium' in the entire spec and there's nothing.
Reply 17
Original post by sxhxl
it's literally not even on the specification, I've looked up every single sentence with 'osmosis', 'light intensity', 'guard cells' and 'potassium' in the entire spec and there's nothing.

Is this a CGP paper?
Original post by sxhxl

Yh i know weve only been taught about guard cells and stomata in terms of respiration the question is very stupid all they had to do was to change potassium with water and it would actually make sense.
Original post by hp4300
Is this a CGP paper?

no, AQA made this paper specifically for year 11 mocks.

Quick Reply

Latest