The Student Room Group

Further Maths- How To Work Out Grade From Ums

Hey People,
I hope you are all not feeling too bad ahead of the big day tomorrow :s-smilie:
I just wondered if anyone knew how to work out what their overall grade in maths and further maths is from their UMS. I have taken the following modules- what are the possible combinations I can have? Many thanks,:smile:

C1, C2, C3, C4, D1, S1, S2, M1, M2, M3 (i took one extra)

i.e. does the s2 have to be coupled with the s1? or can i split my modules like so:
Maths: c1, c2, c3, c4, d1, s2
further maths: fp1, fp2, fp3, s1, m1, m2

Thanks again

Scroll to see replies

is this OCR? if yes then the core modules have to remain in their respective maths. the applied modules can be rearranged, but you cannot have s2 used as part of your normal maths without s1 as part of it
nah, you can't put S2 with your normal maths, unless you also put S1.

I think the exam board decides which modules to put with which, to try and give you the best results possible in both subjects.

(this is for Edexcel btw)
Reply 3
Your exam board will put them into the optimum places already for you, so try not to worry! :smile:

You would be allowed to have S1, D1 in maths and S2 in further; but not S2 without the S1 in maths.
What the others said.

480/600 is an A for an A-level, 420/600 is a B, 360/600 is a C, and it keeps decreasing in 60s.
Reply 5
bballer4life
I think the exam board decides which modules to put with which, to try and give you the best results possible in both subjects.

I did MEI (OCR) and they re-arrange it to get you the best MATHS grade as a priority, and the best Further Maths grade as a second priority.
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice.
So what you are saying is EDEXCEL will sort the modules accordingly to give me the highest possible grade in maths and then in further maths? Also, do you mean that i cannot include my s2 grade in maths and s1 grade in further maths?

Doesn't it get confusing...
Will the results slip tell us which modules will go where?
Reply 8
TheRandomer

No, it will just show the marks for the modules you took in the summer session, and the awards you get i.e. GCE Advanced Level "Mathematics" - A, GCE Advanced Level "Further Mathematics" - B
munkie
I did MEI (OCR) and they re-arrange it to get you the best MATHS grade as a priority, and the best Further Maths grade as a second priority.

I think it changed in March. :no: for normal OCR at least
Reply 10
TheRandomer

I think it will. I've seen photocopied Edexcel examples on here that do, and my AQA slip did last year, I think.
Reply 11
Oh cool.
So there is no need to stand there with your exam slip trying to work out what you got in maths and what you got in further...?

I really hope they tell me which ones are in further though. *gulp*
Reply 13
munkie
No, it will just show the marks for the modules you took in the summer session, and the awards you get i.e. GCE Advanced Level "Mathematics" - A, GCE Advanced Level "Further Mathematics" - B

You did a different exam board.

From my experience of Edexcel, they will tell you module results as well from previous exams (at least it did on my slips for Edexcel)

And OP - yes what you just said is a correct summary.

As to where priority is placed with positioning modules, It is better to have AC than BB surely?!
Reply 14
LeAeGi
Oh cool.
So there is no need to stand there with your exam slip trying to work out what you got in maths and what you got in further...?

Of course not!
Reply 15
Edexcel sorts it out for you as follows:

- For Maths A-level, it will put C1-C4 and a legal combination of two applied modules which give you the highest grade with the lowest number of UMS points (if this makes sense to you). "Legal combination" means a "2" module can only be used only if the corresponding "1" module is used.
- The other 6 modules will go to your Further Maths.

For example, say if there is a combination involving C1-C4, M1 and M2 which comes to exactly 480 UMS, these will be used for your Maths, and the rest will go to Further.

This is what I've come to believe, anyway.
You don't get a choice in the matter. UMS marks are allocated to maximise Single Maths with the fewest excess marks, and the remainder goes into further.
What about OCR???
Reply 18
Steffiewoo
You don't get a choice in the matter. UMS marks are allocated to maximise Single Maths with the fewest excess marks, and the remainder goes into further.

^^^ that
Reply 19
OK thanks very much. I've been sitting here working on a little spreadsheet to tell me what I need from each unit. Mind's at rest now! Thanks a lot!

Latest