The Student Room Group

UMS scores - question about resits

Hey everyone, I am planning to apply to Chemical Engineering in UCL,, Imperial, Manchester and Edinburgh. For Imperial minimum entry requirement is A*A*A with 2 A*s in Math and Chem. For the rest of unis, it's AAA. I recently received my AS results and got A's for all of them(from bio, chem, math, and phy). However, in some of the units I scored low UMS or even grades like B or C (even though in total all four subjects were A's).
Here are my UMS scores:
Bio U1: 120/120 (A) ; U2: 81/120 (C) ; U3: 48/60 (A); AS: 249/300 (A)
Chem U1: 120/120 (A) ; U2: 106/120 (A) ; U3: 48/60 (A); AS: 274/300(A)
Maths P1: 100/100 (A) ; P2: 90/100 (A) ; S1: 84/100 (A); AS: 274/300 (A)
Phy U1: 110/120 (A) ; U2: 103/120 (A) ; U3: 45/60 (B); AS: 258/300 (A)

Considering the fact that those unis will see my UMS scores, do you think that I should retake any of these units to secure high chances of being admitted as they will probably judge based on AS results
Hello, I assume you are examined through WJEC or similar? I don't know precisely what unis see, but from my experience if they see anything is purely the As grade for each subject. It's more likely however that they will only see your predicted grades which your school will base on these exams (someone correct me if I'm wrong!!). In my opinion, you have don extremely well this year (congrats!! Be proud!!). I don't think you need to worry about re sitting, focus on your a level units. Some (if not all) of your ums scores are so high that they provide a really good safely net for next year. With my a levels this year, similar as results to you meant that I could have got C's in both units for some of my subjects and still come out with an a overall. (That doesn't mean you should slack off though -A* depend entirely on your Ums next year - you need to score 270 or higher I believe, next year, for that.)

Remember that even if your as results are seen by unis you are at a huge advantage compared to students in England. You have secured an A in about 40% of each of the subjects already, whereas they have no solid evidence of their abilities and everything depends on how they perform next year. Don't forget either, it's impossible to get A* at as level, so you've done very well on these. See it as an advantage for next year. Students who got C's overall in my year at As still managed A*s this year, but it took a lot more work.

I'd say focus your energy on your personal statement and on doing really well in your exams next year. However, if you're still worried, the best thing is to talk to your school about it. It's worth discussing it with your teachers in September either way for those two modules, but just know that you've done very well already and it's unlikely that unis will see individual ums marks, at least from what I remember. Good luck, and if you have any other questions I'll try my best to help! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Elizabeth.lea
Hello, I assume you are examined through WJEC or similar? I don't know precisely what unis see, but from my experience if they see anything is purely the As grade for each subject. It's more likely however that they will only see your predicted grades which your school will base on these exams (someone correct me if I'm wrong!!). In my opinion, you have don extremely well this year (congrats!! Be proud!!). I don't think you need to worry about re sitting, focus on your a level units. Some (if not all) of your ums scores are so high that they provide a really good safely net for next year. With my a levels this year, similar as results to you meant that I could have got C's in both units for some of my subjects and still come out with an a overall. (That doesn't mean you should slack off though -A* depend entirely on your Ums next year - you need to score 270 or higher I believe, next year, for that.)

Remember that even if your as results are seen by unis you are at a huge advantage compared to students in England. You have secured an A in about 40% of each of the subjects already, whereas they have no solid evidence of their abilities and everything depends on how they perform next year. Don't forget either, it's impossible to get A* at as level, so you've done very well on these. See it as an advantage for next year. Students who got C's overall in my year at As still managed A*s this year, but it took a lot more work.

I'd say focus your energy on your personal statement and on doing really well in your exams next year. However, if you're still worried, the best thing is to talk to your school about it. It's worth discussing it with your teachers in September either way for those two modules, but just know that you've done very well already and it's unlikely that unis will see individual ums marks, at least from what I remember. Good luck, and if you have any other questions I'll try my best to help! :smile:

Ohh, thank you so much, it is so relieving to hear that. Btw, do you know anyone who got into KCL, Imperial or UCL with their AS grade being A but one of the units being B or C (or maybe you had this case yourself)?
Original post by elmar
Ohh, thank you so much, it is so relieving to hear that. Btw, do you know anyone who got into KCL, Imperial or UCL with their AS grade being A but one of the units being B or C (or maybe you had this case yourself)?

Hello, no one going to these in particular, but one friend has a b AS unit (A As overall and A* for a level) and is heading to bath which is also quite competitive! Best of luck :smile:)
Reply 4
Original post by Elizabeth.lea
Hello, no one going to these in particular, but one friend has a b AS unit (A As overall and A* for a level) and is heading to bath which is also quite competitive! Best of luck :smile:)

It makes sense, thank you so much for such a massive help
Original post by elmar
It makes sense, thank you so much for such a massive help

No worries at all & good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest