The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1
gap year will solve all your problems, so long as you work next year.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
hmm thanks, i've never considered a gap year but i might have to now...
Reply 3
Would taking a gap year mean you can just resit 2-3 exams or do you have to resit the whole A2 year again?

I got into my second choice uni but missed out on my first choice.

I am now in the dilemma of whether to go to my second choice Uni or try and improve my grades.

All I want to do is resit 2-3 exams and not take the whole year again

Is this possible?
Reply 4
I think so! I don't think I'll resit the whole year again, just the modules I did really badly in... that's possible isn't it?
Reply 5
definitely possible. do as many or as few modules as you like. you'd be better of doing your resits in year 13 so you can do something a bit more exciting than A-levels in your gap year.
Reply 6
right okay thank you! do you think if i did that, it would be necessary to take a gap year? well, if i retook the modules and somehow managed to get my grades up to AAB or AAA? like by some stroke of miracle obviously.. :frown:
:console: i'm sort of in your situation, i just underachieved at AS (well i got ABBC although one B is pending a remark, i was supposed to get AABB or AAAB). i've sort of done the opposite to you, i don't feel upset at all and i'm not going to apply to places that may seem a bit of a long shot right now, i was thinking of oxford before i got my results but now i probably won't bother. i would be a LOT more upset if i hadn't got an A in english so i can empathise with you there. i don't know what to advise really... the UCL english course is very oversubscribed, 60 places and thousands of applicants or something like that. if you really are set on it, then i'd say to work really hard next year and take a gap year so you'll be applying with great a levels that are already completed, rather than just predicted grades like the majority of other applicants. give it a long hard think though, there are other fantastic english departments around the country and i'm sure that if you do apply for 2009 entry, you'd get a place at somewhere you'll love.

good luck :smile: xx
Reply 8
well if you can get a ucl offer with whatever you're predicted then no there would be no need for a gap year. If they do things like they did in my school you'd be predicted ABC, which I'm guessnig won't get you a ucl english offer...and I don't think they do clearing.

Tbh I've never met someone who regrets taknig a gap year, so long as you do something genuinely constructive.
Reply 9

i'm sort of in your situation, i just underachieved at AS (well i got ABBC although one B is pending a remark, i was supposed to get AABB or AAAB). i've sort of done the opposite to you, i don't feel upset at all and i'm not going to apply to places that may seem a bit of a long shot right now, i was thinking of oxford before i got my results but now i probably won't bother. i would be a LOT more upset if i hadn't got an A in english so i can empathise with you there. i don't know what to advise really... the UCL english course is very oversubscribed, 60 places and thousands of applicants or something like that. if you really are set on it, then i'd say to work really hard next year and take a gap year so you'll be applying with great a levels that are already completed, rather than just predicted grades like the majority of other applicants. give it a long hard think though, there are other fantastic english departments around the country and i'm sure that if you do apply for 2009 entry, you'd get a place at somewhere you'll love.

good luck xx

I suppose taking a gap year would be a good idea. Maybe. I do want to go to uni in London though, are there any other good English departments around there that may consider me for 2009 entry?
Reply 10
Me too!!!

I know it's only AS' and there's a whole year to go but getting BCCC today sort of reinforced the fact I reallllyyy want to go UCL to study Geography and nowhere else.
umbrellahead
I suppose taking a gap year would be a good idea. Maybe. I do want to go to uni in London though, are there any other good English departments around there that may consider me for 2009 entry?

eesh my mind's just gone blank *looks on google* queen mary, maybe? royal holloway is just outside london, the entry requirememts for 2008 entry there were ABB but they've gone up to AAB for us. i'm really not an expert on this, you should order some prospectuses and then get advice from your school's careers staff :smile:
Reply 12
hey, sorry you had to go through such an ordeal.

You can apply to some unis via special access. I don't know if UCL offers this but then they will know that something disrupted your studies.
Reply 13
special access? i've never heard about this.. i might have to go and research it! thanks a lot everyone, your support really has helped me and made me think about lots of new options for myself :smile:

i hope everyone else has done really well, you deserve to! :smile:
Reply 14
Well If I can just resit the modules and not the whole year then that would be fantastic. I mean I already know what the exams are going to be like and I will have so much time to prepare for the exams.

I'm going to resit 3 exams- all in January.

This means that after January I can use the time to get some valuable work experience.

Could I just ask, If I do take a year out and get the grades I need for my first choice, will they have any problem with the fact that I had to take a year out to do resits?
Singh_2
Could I just ask, If I do take a year out and get the grades I need for my first choice, will they have any problem with the fact that I had to take a year out to do resits?

Some of the very top Universities will.
Reply 16
english is a 3 AAA course so if you think you can get that then go for it, they might not let you in for cycle 09 but if you get 3 AAA nxt year the enjoy you gap year with an unconditional from UCL
good luck
Reply 17
umbrellahead
in my AS exams I got a B in English Literature (6 marks off an A), a C in Psychology & Sociology and a D in Law.

I want to do English as a degree, should I give up now?
I'm going to resit everything, I feel my bad grades were due to things going on at home, with my parents going through a messy divorce, lots of court visits and a lot of desruption, I had to go to court to testify for my mother on the day of my Law exam!

I don't know what to do, I could see this coming but I truly am devestated, this divorce has affected my GCSE results and now A-Levels

Can anyone give me any advice on what to do?? :frown:

work hard, retake, get 3 As and apply post alevel for 2010. and have a great gap year. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending