The Student Room Group

Missed offers

I keep making posts about this but here I go,
I got A*AA in AS and 776666655 in GCSE, I am eligible for contextual offers. I got ABB UCL and KCL offers for English and only got rejected from Cambridge but on my feed back form it said I was a strong candidate and was close.

I finished my A-Level exams and I am sure that I messed up, I got unlucky and everything I was weak on came up and even in my best subjects I panicked and wrote messily. I am not overreacting I am sure that I missed the marks as I didn't hit the necessary AOs/Criteria for my grades and I know I did bad.

I probably got BCC or BCD (English Biology History) and I don't know what to do now. Assuming these are my real grades (although I appreciate it please don't talk about never being sure until results day because I know I did bad) what can I do to get into UCL/KCL next year?

This is my plan :
Start studying NOW until next year, gurantee myself I get A*A*A* and possibly do an extra a level for language for 4A*, maybe do an EPQ too

What are my chances of getting in? What more can I do? Since I'm studying now maybe I can pick up an extra A-Level or something since I'm so desperate.

I must get into KCL and UCL as for personal reasons need to study from home and refuse to do a degree if it is not a top uni since English is a vocational subject. Plus if I don't I'll forever live with regret of what could have so easily been if I worked a little bit harder. I don't think I have mitigating circumstances expect being poor haha.

Any advice is appreciated, my life depends on it.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sanwwio
I keep making posts about this but here I go,
I got A*AA in AS and 776666655 in GCSE, I am eligible for contextual offers. I got ABB UCL and KCL offers for English and only got rejected from Cambridge but on my feed back form it said I was a strong candidate and was close.

I finished my A-Level exams and I am sure that I messed up, I got unlucky and everything I was weak on came up and even in my best subjects I panicked and wrote messily. I am not overreacting I am sure that I missed the marks as I didn't hit the necessary AOs/Criteria for my grades and I know I did bad. I probably got BCC or BCD (English Biology History) and I don't know what to do now. Assuming these are my real grades (although I appreciate it please don't talk about never being sure until results day because I know I did bad) what can I do to get into UCL/KCL next year?

This is my plan :
Start studying NOW until next year, gurantee myself I get A*A*A* and possibly do an extra a level for language for 4A*, maybe do an EPQ too

What are my chances of getting in? What more can I do? Since I'm studying now maybe I can pick up an extra A-Level or something since I'm so desperate.

I must get into KCL and UCL as for personal reasons need to study from home and refuse to do a degree if it is not a top uni since English is a vocational subject. Plus if I don't I'll forever live with regret of what could have so easily been if I worked a little bit harder. I don't think I have mitigating circumstances expect being poor haha.

Any advice is appreciated, my life depends on it.

Hi, just to clarify, do you mean you want to resit your A-levels?

If your a level results are good I’m sure you will get in! Don’t dwell on rejections from any university: in fact recently a student who got rejected from Cambridge was accepted at MIT and Harvard!
You are getting ahead of yourself. Find out what the results are first. Make vague plans sure, but until you get the results, no one can answer your questions!
Your life does not depend on this. Your future decisions are affected by it but really the biggest help I can offer is to advise you to find ways of keeping perspective and patience.
hi,
i’d honestly say wait until your results because you may have got the grades you needed. please just enjoy your summer and wait until august
good luck:smile:
And you do keep posting this same thing. Sadly, no of us can tell you that you'll be able to get in. There is no magic shortcut here.

The healthy thing to do is to finish these A levels, do something distractingly fun over the summer and deal with what will be in August.
Reply 5
Original post by alevelstudent090
hi,
i’d honestly say wait until your results because you may have got the grades you needed. please just enjoy your summer and wait until august
good luck:smile:

Thank you but I know I didn't get it. In fact I'm 100% sure. I literally did my absolute best on my English mock last term, got 28/30 and still got a B because I didn't use specific quotes or something on the half of the paper. This time I used basically none. I need like 95% to get an A and I didn't even use a proper structure for both of my essays and had weak points, the essays I got Bs for bit more AOs.

In History I can sit a test with 100% content knowledge and get a C because I used a bad structure. This time round not only did I mess up my structure, didn't answer the question properly and didn't use proper evidence which *immediately* leads to Level 1/2 grade regardless.

Biology I knew I got many questions wrongs right after as I looked them up.

There is no way I got ABB and whenever I ask for advice so I can do something about it or have valid and actual substantial hope I get told to wait for my inevitable doom. I know I did bad and I need advice. Thank you for attempting to comfort me though I appreciate it.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by subbhy
Hi, just to clarify, do you mean you want to resit your A-levels?

If your a level results are good I’m sure you will get in! Don’t dwell on rejections from any university: in fact recently a student who got rejected from Cambridge was accepted at MIT and Harvard!

Yes I want to resit.
Just wait until results day and see what you get. Then plan for resit(s) as necessary.
Original post by sanwwio
Thank you but I know I didn't get it. In fact I'm 100% sure. I literally did my absolute best on my English mock last term, got 28/30 and still got a B because I didn't use specific quotes or something on the half of the paper. This time I used basically none. I need like 95% to get an A and I didn't even use a proper structure for both of my essays and had weak points, the essays I got Bs for bit more AOs.

In History I can sit a test with 100% content knowledge and get a C because I used a bad structure. This time round not only did I mess up my structure, didn't answer the question properly and didn't use proper evidence which *immediately* leads to Level 1/2 grade regardless.

Biology I knew I got many questions wrongs right after as I looked them up.

There is no way I got ABB and whenever I ask for advice so I can do something about it or have valid and actual substantial hope I get told to wait for my inevitable doom. I know I did bad and I need advice. Thank you for attempting to comfort me though I appreciate it.

Wdym 95% for an A in English, what hellspawn of a board do you do?
Reply 9
Original post by totallyfine
And you do keep posting this same thing. Sadly, no of us can tell you that you'll be able to get in. There is no magic shortcut here.

The healthy thing to do is to finish these A levels, do something distractingly fun over the summer and deal with what will be in August.

You're right but I just cant stay happy if I know there isn't something I can do to make up for this, it's driving me insane with regret and I will take it to my grave if it doesn't work out. I can't help but want to cling onto something for hope.
lowkey in the same situation, just finished my history exam and i'm sure i messed up, i have an offer AAB for law at a good uni but i think i'll get ABB, i'm just so upset bc i don't want to wait a whole year to go to uni bc i've fallen in love with the uni and just want to go there.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by toxicgamage56
Wdym 95% for an A in English, what hellspawn of a board do you do?

Sorry I mean like A*, I can get 27/30 for one paper and get a B it's insane. I do OCR
Original post by sanwwio
You're right but I just cant stay happy if I know there isn't something I can do to make up for this, it's driving me insane with regret and I will take it to my grave if it doesn't work out. I can't help but want to cling onto something for hope.

There is nothing you can do right now except wait.
In August you can devise a next step strategy, but not now.
So park it. Do something else to remind you that life is more than this
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 13
Original post by myanchovies
lowkey in the same situation, just finished my history exam and i'm sure i messed up, i have an offer AAB for law at a good uni but i think i'll get ABB, i'm just so upset bc i don't want to wait a whole year to go to uni bc i've fallen in love with the uni and just want to go there.

ABB is great, I'm about to get BCD! Atleast if you resit with that you'll have a chance as you narrowly missed it.
Original post by sanwwio
Sorry I mean like A*, I can get 27/30 for one paper and get a B it's insane. I do OCR

Ah I do OCR too, at least we're done now. I might miss my offer too tbh, had I known the grade boundaries would be so cancer, I wouldn't have taken English Lit. Eh, I guess we can only hope now. Don't get ahead of yourself, examiners may be nice for OCR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending