The Student Room Group

Choosing the right uni

I am really stuck on choosing which university I should attend in September 2020 to study criminology should I attend University of Northampton or De Montfort University? If anyone that is studying this course at either of these universities can help me with pros and cons it would be appreciated :smile:
I think it’s best for you to weigh up each uni. Both will suit different people differently. I’d consider; which has the right vibe for you? Which would suit your social life? Which suits your course better? When I picked out my uni (Hallam also for criminology) I made my decision based on not only the course itself, but also the accommodation available, the city and how it would suit me. I also felt right the first time I walked in, if that makes sense. I’d say consider both from various points of view and see which one you prefer.
visit them if you can. if not make a list or pros and cons for each and analyse
Original post by sami1213
I am really stuck on choosing which university I should attend in September 2020 to study criminology should I attend University of Northampton or De Montfort University? If anyone that is studying this course at either of these universities can help me with pros and cons it would be appreciated :smile:

Hi @sami1213

I don’t study at the universities you have mentioned, but I study Law at Sheffield Hallam. However, when I was making my uni choice the first thing I looked at was what modules each course offered and if I had the opportunity to pick modules. This helped to see which course I would enjoy more, as certain areas of Law appealed to me more than others.

I also really wanted to be able to get practical experience at university, and Hallam allowed me to take a placement at a law firm. So, you could have a look at if any of the courses offer any extra opportunities.

Cost was also another big factor to me, and I knew that living in Sheffield would be cheaper compared to larger cities, as I’m from Sheffield. So, you may want to see which uni has better costs for accommodation and general living expenses.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Zaira
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi @sami1213

I don’t study at the universities you have mentioned, but I study Law at Sheffield Hallam. However, when I was making my uni choice the first thing I looked at was what modules each course offered and if I had the opportunity to pick modules. This helped to see which course I would enjoy more, as certain areas of Law appealed to me more than others.

I also really wanted to be able to get practical experience at university, and Hallam allowed me to take a placement at a law firm. So, you could have a look at if any if the courses offer any extra opportunities.

Cost was also another big factor to me, and I knew that living in Sheffield would be cheaper compared to larger cities, as I’m from Sheffield. So, you may want to see which uni has better costs for accommodation and general living expenses.

I hope this helps and good
luck!

Zaira

Hi Zaira

Thank you so much for taking your own time out to answering my question it means a lot. I will take all of what you said into consideration.
I think you definitely need to consider the area too. I'm looking at Paramedic science, and although Northampton has one of the best courses in the country, i'm not considering it because I live in Northampton and the area isn't crazy interesting, in my opinion its not the nicest, night life is okay, there are a couple clubs and bars in town but that's it really. The Waterside campus is really nice and new, so I would assume the accommodation is also nice and new. De Montfort is my top choice at the moment, as the course looks good, the city life looks good and the accommodation looks good. So you just have to consider a number of things. Obviously i can't advise you on the course, I can advise on the area of Northampton. It just depends what you are looking for in terms of student life too, as Northampton is only a town surrounded by countryside and villages, would you appreciate that, or would you prefer a city life uni. Like I have said, the uni of Northampton looks really good, and the Paramedic course has a satisfaction rate of 94%, that's why i am a bit annoyed the uni is located where it is! Good luck with your decision, do your research into city/ town life, the area and the accommodation, and go with your gut :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending