The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

herts uni: how is it?

I'm applying to start uni in 2021 and have already been to visit Herts Uni and thought it seemed good. I want to study English Lit and Herts is a fairly local uni to me which is helpful. That being said, I'd still kind of like to know more about what uni life is like there, like:

- What are the lectures or teaching like in general (not just for my course)?

- What is the accomodation like on campus?

- I know people say the town can be slightly boring but are there enough places to go to hang out with people or keep yourself occupied etc?

I guess I kind of just want to get the pros and cons of the uni since I'm still trying to make a decision as to which will be my 1st choice when applying. Any help is welcome, thank youu.
For my course (education) the teaching was good and the lecturers were helpful. We have a lot of group seminars and opportunities to have one-to-one tutorials with them on a regular basis. They also provide learning material online for us to access and they record a majority of the lectures.

I lived on the de Havilland campus and the accommodation can be varied. If you live on the College Lane campus, you can either apply for a shared bathroom or an ensuite and I'm pretty sure that there is a living area space in each flat. If you live on the de Havilland campus (I think that's where English is taught) , all of the accommodation is en suited but you live with more people and you don't have a living room area. You also get a mini-fridge in your room on the de Hav campus.

Hatfield is a boring town if you're into clubbing as it's much quieter than say Birmingham or Nottingham, but there are a few bars. The Galleria is a small shopping centre and should keep you occupied but it can get boring quickly. However, London and Watford are very local and getting there isn't a problem. There are also regular trips that people organise to Watford and London where the clubbing scene is a lot better. The SU pub also organises a lot of smaller events, such as quizzes. The uni can be strict on flat parties (but people host them anyway!)

Overall. I'm enjoying my time at herts and would say that it's a good uni as it's close enough to London. Hope this helps :smile:
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by AtProjectCiampa
For my course (education) the teaching was good and the lecturers were helpful. We have a lot of group seminars and opportunities to have one-to-one tutorials with them on a regular basis. They also provide learning material online for us to access and they record a majority of the lectures.

I lived on the de Havilland campus and the accommodation can be varied. If you live on the College Lane campus, you can either apply for a shared bathroom or an ensuite and I'm pretty sure that there is a living area space in each flat. If you live on the de Havilland campus (I think that's where English is taught) , all of the accommodation is en suited but you live with more people and you don't have a living room area. You also get a mini-fridge in your room on the de Hav campus.

Hatfield is a boring town if you're into clubbing as it's much quieter than say Birmingham or Nottingham, but there are a few bars. The Galleria is a small shopping centre and should keep you occupied but it can get boring quickly. However, London and Watford are very local and getting there isn't a problem. There are also regular trips that people organise to Watford and London where the clubbing scene is a lot better. The SU pub also organises a lot of smaller events, such as quizzes. The uni can be strict on flat parties (but people host them anyway!)

Overall. I'm enjoying my time at herts and would say that it's a good uni as it's close enough to London. Hope this helps :smile:

This is super helpful thank you so much! The info u gave really reassures me about picking it as probably my 1st choice :smile: I forgot to put in the original post but what is the library like?
Reply 3
HERTFORDSHIRE OH HERTFORDSHIRE~
I’m from Hertfordshire 🥳🥳🥳😜
Original post by Anonymous
This is super helpful thank you so much! The info u gave really reassures me about picking it as probably my 1st choice :smile: I forgot to put in the original post but what is the library like?

There’s libraries on both campuses and they’re both massive, they have physical books and most of them are available as ebooks as well. There’s lots of study spaces as well
Original post by Anonymous
I'm applying to start uni in 2021 and have already been to visit Herts Uni and thought it seemed good. I want to study English Lit and Herts is a fairly local uni to me which is helpful. That being said, I'd still kind of like to know more about what uni life is like there, like:

- What are the lectures or teaching like in general (not just for my course)?

- What is the accomodation like on campus?

- I know people say the town can be slightly boring but are there enough places to go to hang out with people or keep yourself occupied etc?

I guess I kind of just want to get the pros and cons of the uni since I'm still trying to make a decision as to which will be my 1st choice when applying. Any help is welcome, thank youu.

Shame your not doing English Lit this september 2020. I am. Hopefully I'll see you around campus next year !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending