The Student Room Group

Herts vs. City for Mechanical Engineering?

Got an offer from both unis. Anyone have any experiences/advice from either department? Thanks!
Reply 1
University of Herts I think they may have a successful Formula Student team but I am not sure.
Original post by 161BMW
University of Herts I think they may have a successful Formula Student team but I am not sure.

thank you that was useful!
Reply 3
Original post by missdecember
thank you that was useful!

Bit hard to tell from here whether not genuine or not or being sarcasm.

The reason it is useful as a lot of F1 teams and motorsport companies may recruit from them instead of say City. It depends also what you want to do when u graduate ? Where you want to study ? Which course structure you prefer ?
Got an offer from both unis. Anyone have any experiences/advice from either department? Thanks!

City is probably more well regarded on the whole.
For mechanical engineering, Herts might have a slight better rep, City isnt really known as an engineering uni. Whereas I do know Herts takes Formula student seriously and probably reasonably well invested in their engineering program.

But their are other things to think about. City is in London, whereas Herts is just outside. Do you want to live in a giant city...
Original post by 161BMW
Bit hard to tell from here whether not genuine or not or being sarcasm.

The reason it is useful as a lot of F1 teams and motorsport companies may recruit from them instead of say City. It depends also what you want to do when u graduate ? Where you want to study ? Which course structure you prefer ?

Wasn't being sarcastic haha

Thanks, I hadn't considered that :smile:
I want to manufacture cars. I live closer to Herts and City is a 1 hr commute :// But apparently City has a better rep so Idk.
Think for mechanical engineering courses will always be very similar so that's not a big issue.

Appreciate the help so far!
Original post by mnot
City is probably more well regarded on the whole.
For mechanical engineering, Herts might have a slight better rep, City isnt really known as an engineering uni. Whereas I do know Herts takes Formula student seriously and probably reasonably well invested in their engineering program.

But their are other things to think about. City is in London, whereas Herts is just outside. Do you want to live in a giant city...

Hi, this was really useful :smile:
So do you reckon Herts is better in regards to employment?
I used to live in London so that's not an issue.
Hi, this was really useful :smile:
So do you reckon Herts is better in regards to employment?
I used to live in London so that's not an issue.

I doubt it makes a huge difference,
If you want to work in engineering, stacking CV is more important than the uni itself. The difference is not like Imperial V Herts where I would have a different answer.
Original post by mnot
If you want to work in engineering, stacking CV is more important than the uni itself. The difference is not like Imperial V Herts where I would have a different answer.

You make a good point. Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by mnot

What do u mean by stacking CV ?
Original post by 161BMW

Getting minimum 2.1
Doing projects that highlight attributes employers look for
Internships
student organisations
leadership roles

Just things that an employer thinks would make a great addition to their company
Original post by 161BMW

hey where did u end up choosing to go uni ?
Hey, just wondering which university you picked because I want to study aerospace but have only been accepted into a hertforshire foundation year but I could finish the year and then reapply to UCAS to maybe get into city

Quick Reply

Latest